brushhead

Re: VLC ported to ARM?

Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:53 pm

Hi,
Hoping this isn't a stupid question and I don't get burned to death by a thousand flames but is VLC available to run ob a Pi? I have a project in mind that will use the libvlc.

Can't wait to have a play with one of these.

Thanks,

Rob.

shiftyphil

Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:04 pm

There are ARM packages for vlc listed (in Debian), so short answer is yes.

A longer answer might touch on if there is any support (now or coming soon) for using the GPU features, but I don't have that answer.

brushhead

Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:05 pm

Thanks a lot for the fast response.

Rob.

na1pir

Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:20 pm

Well with i.mx53(arm cortex a8) and linaro I can watch fhd movies with vlc, but I can't listen it because strange distorted jitter signal coming out of speakers. Lets hope Broadcom's VideoCore IV does better job;)

matt_heys

Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:00 pm

There is a video of someone using a RPi as a reverse VNC as a sort of presentation device.

Not sure how the package dependencies will vary between VNC Viewer and VNC Server, however if one is done I can't imagine they wouldn't do the other.

matt_heys

Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:01 pm

Wow, funky links, didn't realize you just pasted a YouTube link in and it does the rest for you. :-)

Ryanroll

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:53 am

@matt_heys the thread is about VLC not VNC !

BTW i'm also interested by the question, VLC is great for video playing (light, no codecs needed and powerful with subs files reading etc.) and i think the raspberry team should definitely try to port it to our favourite little device.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:57 am

Quote from Ryanroll on November 23, 2011, 11:53
@matt_heys the thread is about VLC not VNC !

BTW i'm also interested by the question, VLC is great for video playing (light, no codecs needed and powerful with subs files reading etc.) and i think the raspberry team should definitely try to port it to our favourite little device.

It's a matter of finding the time.....sure it will get looked at eventually, by us or the community.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

obarthelemy

Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:35 pm

There's a Pi-specific xbmc port in the works. I know it's not quite the same thing, and I personally prefer VLC quite a bit (much lighter and more familiar interface, volume on mouse wheel..), but still, xbmc gets the job done.

na1pir

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:17 pm

Well I am interested in VLC because its fast, on my old laptop I can switch between two iptv channels under sec, but xbmc takes almost 5sec for another stream to kicks in.
I know R-Pi will be slower but due to VideoCore gpu I think it should be playable.
And I don't intend to use vlc by itself, only parts of it, for some sort of lite fork only intended for iptv playback.

Ryanroll

Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:36 pm

@Jamesh Of course, you guys are already doing an amazing job and can't do all at once, i'm just trying to highlight what i consider a great breakthru and very valuable for a lot of raspi users.

@Obarthelemy xbmc is very interesting aswell but less versatile : it's a full OS and its interface is great on a mediacenter, but i'd never use it on a desktop computer dedicated for various tasks like office, internet and media.

obarthelemy

Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:49 pm

It actually does work as just a media app too, I run it on my Windows PC as a DLNA client (VLC doesn't seem to do that yet).

Kernel

Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:18 pm

well this page: http://www.videolan.org/develo.....s/vlc.html lists ARM Cross-Compile HOWTO however when you click through it has been deleted and moved to: http://wiki.videolan.org/ARMCompileOldPDA but that page was last updated in 2004

but as mentioned above debian seems to have a package: http://packages.debian.org/len.....c/filelist

shirro

Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:03 am

VLC works fine on Arm. Most unix/linux software is written to be portable and most can be coaxed to run almost anywhere.

The real issue with VLC is that software only codecs are going to struggle on the armv6 to do full screen video at the proper framerate. VLC needs to be able to support the accelerated video API provided by Broadcom/RPF which I believe is OpenMax IL. I don't know if it does or doesn't.

OpenMax IL libs just turned up for the imx53 so it is one of the things I have to check out. I am currently using gstreamer based players such as Totem on the imx. I don't know if there is gstreamer support for the OpenMax yet. There are a lot of unknowns until people get their hands on boards and although people have emulation and boards with similar capabilities, not many people have an actual Pi.

So yes, VLC will work. How well and for what formats is the question.

moocow1452

Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:03 pm

http://forum.xda-developers.co.....?t=1517415

So it can be done, and possibly even on ARMv6. Would work wonders as a dumb media catcher for just about anything VLC can play. Start a virtual webcam mirroring monitor, then stream that and line out over to the Pi, which has it's own IP on the localnet. Get it working on a domain level, and you have a $25 Slingbox that can run anything your computer can.

malky

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:24 pm

Dunno about a Slingbox, but if you can run VLC on a R-Pi, and use a WiFi dongle, I can see a cheap and easy alternative to Sonos.

CoderDad

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:58 pm

I bought a Pi2 for my 6 year old son to use as a desktop computer. ($115 for all the cables and a case using a monitor we already owned) My main purpose was to give him a place where he could access the web based programs his school uses as well as learn more about computers outside of Windows and Mac. Since they are flashed based, that led me to an Arch Linux install using Chromium and Pepper flash.

I also recently played with its capabilities with video playback. VLC I can confirm does "run" on the Pi2 but it is not currently configured to make use of the hardware as others have suggested and the playback is horrible. There is a video playback application available called omxplayer but it is CL with only keyboard based controls. I tried out the tboplayer python "gui" for it but was underwhelmed. My main takeaway is that there needs to be a fork from one of the existing media players that can make use of the native hardware APIs. It wasn't my main purpose in getting the Pi, but if nobody else seems to be working on something like this I might need to look into it myself.

ghans

Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:30 am

The point is that Raspbian Wheezy will never ship with a
hardware-accelerated version of VLC (there are two now AFAIK)
on principle since those versions are relatively new.
You either have to switch to Jessie or are forced to build from
source.

Also , impressive thread necro.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Other projects”