bredman

Re: Help ! I hate soldering.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:13 pm

Can you post a photo of your tip? I suspect you haven't tinned it properly. It should be shiny/liquidy all the way to the tip.

What happens if you touch the tip to the solder wire, not touching any component? The solder should melt instantly.

techpaul

Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:34 pm

mahjongg wrote:
techpaul wrote:
mahjongg wrote:probably simply because the point is much cooler than the shank, and not hot enough to melt the solder, again, use simple 60/40 leaded solder, with a flux core.
Hmmm still possible to get but in EU or countries building products to sell in EU 60/40 Lead/Tin has been banned except for certain usages (Military/Medical/Transport...) Under ROHS for over 6 years.

Not saying I agree with it, but that is the situation.
Only banned for industrial use, for home use, or even for repairs in an industrial setting, it is still allowed, and you can still buy lead based solder just fine.
Hey ho re-read what I said about exceptions, you have repeated what I said in a more generalised and looser format. By the way also banned for semi-industrial use in homes by plumbers fixing pipes.

Also my first bit said still possible to get.

It is worth reminding people thinking of making boards to sell they have to comply with RoHS
Just another techie on the net - For GPIO boards see http:///www.facebook.com/pcservicesreading
or http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/pi/

pygmy_giant

Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:51 pm

@ bredman - my tip is so shiney you can see it from space!

I am pleased to report that I have solder with a high lead content arriving in the post in the near future...

PaulCheffus

Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:55 pm

pygmy_giant wrote:@ bredman - my tip is so shiney you can see it from space!

I am pleased to report that I have solder with a high lead content arriving in the post in the near future...
Hi

Ah but is it shiny because its tinned or because it's coated?

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

sadlyatworktoday

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:00 pm

pygmy_giant wrote:Hi - I hate soldering.

I always burn my fingures and the solder takes ages to melt and then it goes everywhere except where its supposed to and it takes me forever to just solder a few joints, and then they look really messy.

Am I an idiot or is there a secret no ones told me?
just noticed your post, don't hate it myself just not tried it yet, however I have used 'WireGlue' with some success (and zero burns/soldering iron purchases, damaged worktops/annoyed partner.)

for reference, check this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Conductive-Adhe ... 360&sr=8-1

sits back and awaits sighs of contempt from proper hardware dudes.... :oops:

pygmy_giant

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:03 pm

Because I tinned it.

The solder I am waiting for is 0.64mm diameter and 37% lead. I may deliberately inhale a big lungful of the fumes in defiance of the nanny state (kidding).

syndicate

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:31 pm

Instead of using precious solder to tin your tip you can buy Lead free tip tinner. The one I use is from www.edsyn.com

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:35 pm

precious solder?

Its just a mix of tin and lead, no precious metals involved!
The little bit of resin (tree sap) also doesn't cost the world. LOL.

PaulCheffus

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:38 pm

syndicate wrote:Instead of using precious solder to tin your tip you can buy Lead free tip tinner. The one I use is from http://www.edsyn.com
Hi

Though not a good idea if you are going to use leaded solder.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

syndicate

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:35 pm

mahjongg wrote:precious solder?

Its just a mix of tin and lead, no precious metals involved!
The little bit of resin (tree sap) also doesn't cost the world. LOL.
I prefer to use a tip tinner because it's more efficient than wasting your solder wire that I'm sure doesn't cost the world. If you are to be RoHs compliant, use lead free solder. My 2 cents.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Sigh. Again telling an amateur to use lead free solder will only end in a lot of needless pain!
Using lead free solder is much easier, and IS PERFECTLY LEGAL!
ROHS compliant or not!
Only for solder streets where robots are soldering massive amounts of boards its required to use ROHS compliant solder!
For simple rework tasks its still legal to use the tiny amount of lead that is used for non ROHS solder, and for amateurs at home its no issue at all! one tip, do not breath in the fumes!

For those doubters, do you really expect that if you use leaded solder, the moment the tip hits the 60/40 based solder a police agent will turn up to handcuff you and take you away for "crimes against nature"?
Don't be silly use 64/36 (true tectonic solder)! Make your life easy!
And its LEGAL!

scep

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:51 pm

Let's put home/amateur use into perspective: driving down to Maplins to buy lead-free solder will probably release a lot more (and varied) heavy metals into the biosphere than you would have caused by using the solder that you have in your shed drawer.

This is a hunch, but if anyone has any figures I'd be happy to discuss it ;)

pygmy_giant

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:52 pm

I'm just trying to solder a few joints, not save the planet!

Any one else remember indoor fireworks? They're not legal anymore either - sigh.

And how 'environmentaly friendly' is the mercury in an 'energy saving' light bulb?

Surely the energy 'wasted' by an incandescant lightbulb just comes off your heating bill anyway?!

Edit: actually - I think they are still legal - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Traditional-Ind ... B000XQA8MQ & http://www.glow.co.uk/indoor-fireworks-24.html - but that wont help me with my soldering!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:06 am

Well, the fumes coming of those are certainly also just as unhealthy as the fumes coming off solder. Actually its not the lead that's unhealthy, there is possibly no lead in those fumes, it the burning "incense" (the ""flux") that releases all kinds of nasty stuff into the air.

Wonder how your soldering is coming along, still waiting for the solder?

pygmy_giant

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:40 pm

Soldering is comming along nicely thanks - now that I have the good (leaded) stuff - it actually melts. Silver 'solder' is of the devil and should be banned under the trade descriptions act.

gritz

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:46 pm

Lead free solder is indeed horrible stuff! Glad you're getting there. :)

Return to “Other projects”