Martiiin

Re: Very cheap screens

Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:08 pm

I really don't know where to put this, so I'm just gonna post in here :)

With such a cheap machine as the Raspberry Pi, you will need a screen, but I think it is kinda dumb to spend at least twice as much as the computer costs on the screen.

I'll do just fine with like a 10" screen or something like that, if I need to watch videos from it I'll just plug it into my TV.

What are you guys gonna do?
Maybe from broken laptops?

Could also be nice if the screen requires very low power, this makes it follow the concept of a "USB" powered computer :)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:17 pm

There are a number of thread on the forum ocvering this topic. Please use the search option to find them.

The Pi has composite and HDMI out, you can plug in what ever you have that has either of those (or DVI-D which is compatible with HDMI).

As to the cost of a screen - a screen costs a lot more to make than a Raspberry Pi - those LCD's are pretty expensive. Most people spend a lot more on their TV's than the things that plug in to them....same principle.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Montekuri

Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:19 pm

First of all, I would use the search engine of the forum to see if someone else made an equal question before. Like those topics:
A cheap LCD screen to go with the Raspberry Pi ?
A small screen for the raspberry pi

obarthelemy

Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:17 am

closing thread to avoid further duplication.

Return to “Other projects”