Got a Class 10 card too. moderate overclocking. beefy power supply

just needs go-faster stripes ;)

All the best,
J

jmahoney

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Wed May 08, 2013 8:47 pm

btw, while I got you...

can Pro support more than 1 screen per public ip address?

vpetersson

Wed May 08, 2013 8:52 pm

jmahoney wrote: can Pro support more than 1 screen per public ip address?
You sure can. You can have as many nodes as you'd like behind the same public IP. The only limiting factor would be your bandwidth for retrieving assets.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

jmahoney

Thu May 09, 2013 1:06 pm

Thanks again VP.

That's good. I think the price is good too, considering the advantages it has over other methods.

One question I have been asked is "what happens if the Screenly server goes down?" What are you able to tell me to help with any concerns over reliability/resilience?

Cheers,
J

vpetersson

Thu May 09, 2013 1:13 pm

jmahoney wrote: One question I have been asked is "what happens if the Screenly server goes down?" What are you able to tell me to help with any concerns over reliability/resilience?
The short answer is: nothing.

The nodes are designed to be completely independent. The only thing that would happen if our main architecture were to go down would be that you couldn't schedule or upload any new assets. The nodes will just keep playing just fine. Once the nodes are able to connect again, it will simply retrieve the updates (if there are any).

The nodes even have the data to know when to start and stop playing an asset. Hence, even if it cannot connect to the server, it knows when to stop playing an asset (per the instructions received when it was able to dial in last).

We've designed Screenly Pro to work well for unstable connections, like 3G. As a result, it is a must that the nodes can work independently for hours or even days.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),

atmosx

Sun May 12, 2013 4:53 pm

Hello,

I have upgraded my screenly-OSE installation to the latest version. I would like to share some notes in order to get feedback. The new UI is pretty neat (javascript if I'm not mistaken, didn't look at the code yet), but it's rather slow after loading 45 videos/images.

So my notes so far:
1 - Loading locally assets (using upload) makes the screenly-ose painfully slow after asset No45 in contrast with loading files through HTTP, which is more lightweight. (However I don't understand why this happens. Thought it was related to HD space, but it's not.)

2 - When you add / edit a filename, it changes the "play order", without asking you. The fact that I can't replay an asset recursively bothers me a bit. I really need it, I mean 're-post' the same 'asset' to play every 4 assets or (even better) every 160 seconds.

3 - We seriously need a way to create a 'DB' at "home" computer and loaded automatically to screenly. I'm going to write a ruby script and do some tests. I think it's fairly easy although I'm missing the "asset_id". It's a 'dict' method in the code, I thought it was creating md5 sums but it's neither md5 or sha1. However, seems to be pretty much random.
I'd like to know approximately how many assets do you guys load to a screenly screen?

Have anyone tried to load a USB bundle and mount /asset directory to the USB?

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

lucasatbodhi

Thu May 16, 2013 10:16 am

Hi There,

Can you please advise is there any way to configure screenly / RPi to automatically log in to a website?
I was using last pass for my RPi dashboards previously but want to start using screenly now.

vpetersson

Thu May 16, 2013 11:26 am

lucasatbodhi wrote:Hi There,

Can you please advise is there any way to configure screenly / RPi to automatically log in to a website?
I was using last pass for my RPi dashboards previously but want to start using screenly now.
You can't really. It's also a lot more complicated than it seems, since there are so many different ways to login to a website.
Last edited by vpetersson on Thu May 16, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

lucasatbodhi

Thu May 16, 2013 11:31 am

vpetersson wrote:
lucasatbodhi wrote:Hi There,

You can't really. It's also a lot more complicated that it seems, since there are so many different ways to login to a website.
Thanks for quick response

Engineer1

Tue May 21, 2013 8:17 pm

Hello,

Firstly, thank you for a very impressive piece of work. I have setup a Pi running Screenly OSE to display a long (2hr) movie in a continuous loop. I want to make sure that the system is reliable, but I don't want to burn lots of electricity, so I switch the display off for most of the time, and just turn it on when I want to check that the movie is still playing. However, when I leave it overnight, and then switch on again the next morning it seems that Screenly is rebooting. Is this behaviour by design, or is there something more subtle/sinister going on?

I'd like to make sure that it's going to just keep running without trouble before I install it. Are there any logs I could check out to tell me what Screenly has been doing when nobody is looking?!

Thanks a lot for reading.

jeremyczu

Tue May 28, 2013 1:08 pm

I have been using Screenly for a testing phase with my company and have been very happy with the results... except, the application appears to stop playback after an extended period.

This issue seems to happen daily. When the playback stops, there is a black screen and nothing else. I can still hit Ctrl + Alt + F1 and get to the shell, but image and video playback has stopped. This only seems to happen overnight. I have yet to see it happen during a normal workday. As soon as I restart the Raspberry Pi, Screenly is running fine with no issues. My company is operational 24 hours, so we would like to leave the boxes running as much as possible. Have any suggestions? Thanks!

jeremyczu

Wed May 29, 2013 2:27 pm

I have tried to setup a crontab entry that will reboot the pi a couple times each day, but I can't consider this a true solution. If anyone has any ideas on how to keep the player running without playback failures, I would really appreciate it.

vpetersson

Wed May 29, 2013 2:31 pm

jeremyczu wrote:I have been using Screenly for a testing phase with my company and have been very happy with the results... except, the application appears to stop playback after an extended period.

This issue seems to happen daily. When the playback stops, there is a black screen and nothing else. I can still hit Ctrl + Alt + F1 and get to the shell, but image and video playback has stopped. This only seems to happen overnight. I have yet to see it happen during a normal workday. As soon as I restart the Raspberry Pi, Screenly is running fine with no issues. My company is operational 24 hours, so we would like to leave the boxes running as much as possible. Have any suggestions? Thanks!
I have multiple nodes running 24/7. They've been running for a long time. Most of them are running Screenly Pro these days, but the player module is the same.

If this happens, please take a look in the logs in /tmp/screenly*.log and post the output here. That should hopefully help us troubleshoot thi.

glenpage

Wed May 29, 2013 5:00 pm

I just built my first Screenly OSE and so far I love it. I am wondering though, is there any way to password protect the web access for making changes? Currently, it does not require authentication which means that if the kiddies here a my school find out the IP address of the Screenly OSE box, then they can modify the assets that will be displayed.

Thanks for a great project.

jeremyczu

Wed May 29, 2013 5:45 pm

I've removed the crontab entries and will wait to see if the failure happens again. Just so you know, I used the standard image and only set overscan and time options in raspi-config. All else is 100% stock. Thanks for your help on this! I appreciate you responding directly in the forums. That is very cool of you!

EnSabahNur

Wed May 29, 2013 8:49 pm

I'm having trouble getting websites or image to be displayed in full screen. The web site is set to fill 100% of the screen. The images are exactly 1920 x 1080. Yet, both the pictures and website are displayed at maybe 80% of full screen with black space around them.

I'm using the custom image. The Buck the Bunny video plays in full screen.

Any help?

vpetersson

Thu May 30, 2013 7:25 am

EnSabahNur wrote:I'm having trouble getting websites or image to be displayed in full screen. The web site is set to fill 100% of the screen. The images are exactly 1920 x 1080. Yet, both the pictures and website are displayed at maybe 80% of full screen with black space around them.

Any help?
Sounds like a typical overscan issue. Run 'raspi-conf' or toggel disable_overscan by hand in config.txt. For more information, see http://elinux.org/RPi_raspi-config

EnSabahNur

Thu May 30, 2013 12:00 pm

vpetersson wrote:
EnSabahNur wrote:I'm having trouble getting websites or image to be displayed in full screen. The web site is set to fill 100% of the screen. The images are exactly 1920 x 1080. Yet, both the pictures and website are displayed at maybe 80% of full screen with black space around them.

Any help?
Sounds like a typical overscan issue. Run 'raspi-conf' or toggel disable_overscan by hand in config.txt. For more information, see http://elinux.org/RPi_raspi-config
Thanks, that did it. I'm loving Screenly so far.

jeremyczu

Thu May 30, 2013 7:04 pm

Ok, so I had the same issue happen again - screen was black the next morning. After looking at the log file, the log started at 13:26 and ended at 19:45 on Wed, May 2013. The log simply shows "Showing asset XXXXXX up until the last entry. I rotated between a PNG, the screenly logo, an internal company webpage, and an mp4 video. Nothing in the log looks suspicious. The machine didn't freeze, but playback has stopped.

vpetersson

Thu May 30, 2013 7:26 pm

jeremyczu wrote:Ok, so I had the same issue happen again - screen was black the next morning. After looking at the log file, the log started at 13:26 and ended at 19:45 on Wed, May 2013. The log simply shows "Showing asset XXXXXX up until the last entry. I rotated between a PNG, the screenly logo, an internal company webpage, and an mp4 video. Nothing in the log looks suspicious. The machine didn't freeze, but playback has stopped.
That's very odd. Could you also check in the system logs (/var/log/messages) to make sure there is nothing strange going on there.

Sunspiral

Thu May 30, 2013 8:12 pm

What new digital signs are people purchasing for their Screenly/Pi? Seems like many vendors want to sell all-in-one screens.

Thanks...

glenpage

Fri May 31, 2013 12:22 pm

I am currently in a testing mode with Screenly- OSE and am using a display with DVI connected via a DVI to HDMI cable. Video works very nicely but of course, no sound. I have connected a set of powered speakers via the audio out jack on the Pi and can get sound out of these using CLI commands via ssh. I can't, however, make any sound from the Screenly-OSE assests (mp4 movies at the moment).

Can I make this work somehow or am I going to have to bite the bullet and hook this to a tv with HDMI built in?

Thanks,

NEVER MIND. Boy do I feel dumb. Just found the setting on the WEB interface settings screen. Got the sound to work now.
Last edited by glenpage on Fri May 31, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeremyczu

Fri May 31, 2013 12:41 pm

I checked the log you suggested. The last item is rsyslogd was HUPed. Just before that is watchdog stopped. Does that help?

PicLocata

Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:03 pm

jeremyczu wrote:Ok, so I had the same issue happen again - screen was black the next morning. After looking at the log file, the log started at 13:26 and ended at 19:45 on Wed, May 2013. The log simply shows "Showing asset XXXXXX up until the last entry. I rotated between a PNG, the screenly logo, an internal company webpage, and an mp4 video. Nothing in the log looks suspicious. The machine didn't freeze, but playback has stopped.
It might be worth checking the memory card. I ran Screenly in a shop window successfully for three months before getting similar problems (screen freezes, blank screens, and watchdog restarts). I removed the memory card to search the log files more conveniently and my desktop system reported intermittent errors reading the card. I replaced the card and the system has now run for another three months.

I couldn't find any error log reporting a card I/O error, and of course replacing the card re-initialised everything. So I can't be certain it was the card, but at the moment that seems the most likely cause.

jeremyczu

Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:00 pm

The memory card suggestion makes sense, however, I have seen this on multiple memory cards. I'll try a couple others to make sure and post the results. Thanks!

Return to “Other projects”