jack21
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:41 pm

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:47 pm

I am using a pi as a media center, but would like to use it for digital signage. I am not the creative artist type so looking for some help on making a template. I have a small motorcycle repair shop and would like to use a menu board for our services and maybe a slide show of customers bikes. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jack

vpetersson
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:23 am
Contact: Website

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:29 am

jack21 wrote:I am using a pi as a media center, but would like to use it for digital signage. I am not the creative artist type so looking for some help on making a template. I have a small motorcycle repair shop and would like to use a menu board for our services and maybe a slide show of customers bikes. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jack
Hi Jack,

Screenly supports both regular websites and images (in addition to videos).

There are numbers ways you can generate content. You could use some kind of web-site generation tool, but a more common way appears to be to use something like Microsoft PowerPoint, or Apple Keynote to create a slideshow in 1920x1080 resolution. You can then export that as images and and upload it directly to Screenly.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

gdltech
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:31 pm

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:34 pm

Is there a way to get Screenly to pull information from an RSS feed? We have our company's upcoming events posted to an rss feed and it would be nice to be able to pull these events from the feed and display "slides" showing upcoming events.

vpetersson
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:23 am
Contact: Website

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:50 pm

gdltech wrote: Is there a way to get Screenly to pull information from an RSS feed? We have our company's upcoming events posted to an rss feed and it would be nice to be able to pull these events from the feed and display "slides" showing upcoming events.
We don't have support for RSS for the time being. It is something we will be looking at down the road.

It may or may not make sense to bundle this in the native app. Perhaps it is better to let the community take care of this feature via some kind of widget ecosystem.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

joshi
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:41 pm

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi,

I'm running a fresh install of 2013-03-13-Screenly_OSE_4GB.img.gz, loads fine so I set up a single asset (http://bbc.co.uk/news), the screen looks blank and in the logs I see:

Code: Select all

Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:50 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:51 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:52 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:52 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:53 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:54 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:55 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:55 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:56 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:57 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:58 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:58 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:59 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:59 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:43:01 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
So it's in some sort of infinite loop, something looks broken here...

TonkaToys
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:57 pm

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:07 pm

Hi

First of all congratulations and thanks for this great product. I've surprised and impressed several colleagues with the simplicity and effectiveness of both the RPI and Screenly. I will be registering an interest in the Pro version.

I do however seem to have one issue that I was hoping you might be able to help me to debug. I seem to be unable to upload assets; in this case I've tried 2 images (jpg & png).
The upload seems to work, in that the progress bar completes, however the upload screen does not close.
I then have to click on the background screen (the greyed out Schedule Overview) which closes the upload screen.
Unfortunately there are no new assets listed after that.

Thanks in advance.

vpetersson
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:23 am
Contact: Website

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:59 pm

joshi wrote: Hi,

I'm running a fresh install of 2013-03-13-Screenly_OSE_4GB.img.gz, loads fine so I set up a single asset (http://bbc.co.uk/news), the screen looks blank and in the logs I see:

Code: Select all

Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:50 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:51 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:52 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:52 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:53 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:54 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:55 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:55 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:56 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:57 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:58 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:58 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:59 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:59 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:43:01 Showing asset http://bbc.co.uk/news.
So it's in some sort of infinite loop, something looks broken here...
Hmm, I cannot reproduce this. I just did a fresh installation from the '2013-03-13-Screenly_OSE_4GB.img.gz' image, deactivated all assets that were there by default and then added 'http://bbc.co.uk/news' as a website asset.

The only thing I noticed was that it takes a fair amount of time to load, so you probably need to set the duration to 15s at least.

Edit: I take that back. I was able to reproduce the issue and have pushed a fix for it. The problem was when you entered the address without a trailing slash (ie. 'http://www.bbc.co.uk/news'
instead of 'http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/'). The code didn't check for a redirect, but that has now been resolved.

Please upgrade Screenly OSE using the instructions here (http://www.screenlyapp.com/ose.html#upgrade) to get rid of the issue.

Thanks for reporting.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

joshi
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:41 pm

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:59 pm

WOW! Thanks for a quick and awesome reply!

The next issue I have: =)
One of the assets I display is a webpage with form authentication, as a work-around I've plugged a keyboard into the pi and type in the username/password when the session expires (about once every 2 weeks, which is fine). At some point, screenly lost the ability to take a keyboard input (that is to say rasbian detects and uses the keyboard but the browser that screenly uses can not). Was this an enhancement or is there an option to change this?

Thanks again!

vpetersson
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:23 am
Contact: Website

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:24 pm

TonkaToys wrote: I do however seem to have one issue that I was hoping you might be able to help me to debug. I seem to be unable to upload assets; in this case I've tried 2 images (jpg & png).
The upload seems to work, in that the progress bar completes, however the upload screen does not close.
I then have to click on the background screen (the greyed out Schedule Overview) which closes the upload screen.
Unfortunately there are no new assets listed after that.
I'm unable to reproduce this on the latest version of Screenly.

What browser (and version) are you using?
Also, are you able to reproduce this on the demo site (http://ose.demo.screenlyapp.com)?
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

Sterlingp
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:14 pm

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:13 pm

Hey guys. Since I've updated, I've noticed that the transition between images is a bit wonky. The screen will go black before the next image pops up. I noticed you introduced Feh into the mix which i used and liked before i found Screenly. Could this be the problem? Also. How do i get back to the desktop. I would like to be able to graphically see when i set up something, ie: wifi. Thank you.

vpetersson
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:23 am
Contact: Website

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:30 am

Sterlingp wrote: Hey guys. Since I've updated, I've noticed that the transition between images is a bit wonky. The screen will go black before the next image pops up. I noticed you introduced Feh into the mix which i used and liked before i found Screenly. Could this be the problem?
Yeah, I've noticed that too. It's not a trivial problem to fix tho, but something we will look into going forward.

The reason why we switched to FEH was because UZBL couldn't properly display images without losing quality. This became very noticeable if you had images with gradients.
Sterlingp wrote: Also. How do i get back to the desktop. I would like to be able to graphically see when i set up something, ie: wifi. Thank you.
You can't easily. Since the Raspberry Pi is very weak, we had to turn off as much as possible. Hence there is no full desktop running in the background.

Also, I'd strongly discourage you from using WiFi for your Screenly-setup. It most likely going to be unreliable. If you really do need to run it over WiFi for some reason, you should configure it statically in the config-files and not use a graphical tool to manage it.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

TonkaToys
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:57 pm

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:35 am

vpetersson wrote: I'm unable to reproduce this on the latest version of Screenly.

What browser (and version) are you using?
Also, are you able to reproduce this on the demo site (http://ose.demo.screenlyapp.com)?
Thanks,
I was trying this on IE9, latest version. Yes - good suggestion to test iut on the demo site, and I has the same issue on demo site.

I tried "compatibility mode" for the demo and tested on IE8; this time the Add Asset button doesn't do anything.

Spotted this error message on IE8:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)
Timestamp: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 09:40:52 UTC


Message: Expected identifier
Line: 499
Char: 39
Code: 0
URI: http://10.11.2.27:8080/static/js/screenly-ose.js
Last edited by TonkaToys on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

vpetersson
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:23 am
Contact: Website

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:42 am

TonkaToys wrote: I was trying this on IE9, latest version. Yes - good suggestion to test iut on the demo site, and I has the same issue on demo site.

I tried "compatibility mode" for the demo and tested on IE8; this time the Add Asset button doesn't do anything.
Yeah, we don't support IE at all at them moment. To be honest, it hasn't been much of a priority.
I have opened a ticket for this (https://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose/issues/106), and we'll try to fix it once Screenly Pro is out.

In the meantime, please try a different browser. It should work with pretty much all browser except IE.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com


vpetersson
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:23 am
Contact: Website

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:35 pm

joshi wrote: One of the assets I display is a webpage with form authentication, as a work-around I've plugged a keyboard into the pi and type in the username/password when the session expires (about once every 2 weeks, which is fine). At some point, screenly lost the ability to take a keyboard input (that is to say rasbian detects and uses the keyboard but the browser that screenly uses can not). Was this an enhancement or is there an option to change this?
We haven't done anything intentional to prevent keyboard input. There could have been changes upstream, but nothing that I am aware of. You might want to take a look at the keyboard bindings for UZBL (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UZBL-Browser). That might help you navigate.

We are looking to add support for sites that are using *basic* authentication in the future, but regular sites with normal dialogues will be a lot harder to support.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

hanspost
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:04 pm

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Today I've installed a brand new copy of Screenly and it works great except the webpages. I've downloaded and installed the newest version, but every webpages remains black. Even a simple page as http://www.google.nl/.
Any ideas?

kiko
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:36 am

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:12 am

Hey guys. I just installed Screenly version "2013-03-25-Screenly_OSE_4GB", tried some diferent contents and everything works fine. Its my first experience with Raspberry as well. I hope you can help me with some questions :
1- I saw some discussions about authentication (user/password) to manage assets. Is this feature available in current version? Is there some configuration to enable it?
2- Looking at the table comparison between OSE and PRO versions, I saw that PRO version provide a feature "Multiple users". What it means?
3- I cant get audio from videos, even from Big Buck Bunny Trailer. Can you provide some advices to debug the problem?

Thanks.

vpetersson
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:23 am
Contact: Website

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:32 am

hanspost wrote:Today I've installed a brand new copy of Screenly and it works great except the webpages. I've downloaded and installed the newest version, but every webpages remains black. Even a simple page as http://www.google.nl/.
Any ideas?
Not sure exactly. Nothing obvious that comes to mind, but please check the logs in /tmp/screenly*.log (alternatively the 'System Info' tab in the admin interface).
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

vpetersson
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:23 am
Contact: Website

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:36 am

kiko wrote: 1- I saw some discussions about authentication (user/password) to manage assets. Is this feature available in current version? Is there some configuration to enable it?
No, but it's on the roadmap. See https://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose/issues/19
kiko wrote: 2- Looking at the table comparison between OSE and PRO versions, I saw that PRO version provide a feature "Multiple users". What it means?
In simple terms: Screenly OSE is for a single stand-alone instance, and Screenly Pro is if you want to manage multiple nodes from one interface. More details will be posted shortly on the website. Also, don't forget to sign up on the wait list (http://signup.screenlyapp.com) for Pro. We are starting to let in users very shortly.
kiko wrote: 3- I cant get audio from videos, even from Big Buck Bunny Trailer. Can you provide some advices to debug the problem?
By default, audio should be sent over HDMI. You can toggle that on the 'Settings' tab. So first thing you should do is to check the settings on your TV.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

forsakenZen
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:41 pm

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:47 pm

First off VP great app and thanks for making it available. I currently have 6 installations on 40" LCD's running at 1080p around our campus and they have been running pretty much flawlessly.

Today I was messing around with one of the installs and broke the install on it, don't remember exactly the steps I took to break it but my question is how do I uninstall Screenly-OSE properly so that I can do a fresh install without having to do a complete Wheezy re-install?

I'm not a total Linux n00b but close enough so thanks for any help in advance.

woosaj
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:39 am

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:01 am

I just installed fresh install of 2013-03-25-Screenly_OSE_4GB.img.gz and everything is working fine I just noticed 1 bug when Screenly is switching between images or websites there is 1sec or 2sec black screen is there any solution to fix this?

DirkS
Posts: 10018
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:49 am

woosaj wrote:I just installed fresh install of 2013-03-25-Screenly_OSE_4GB.img.gz and everything is working fine I just noticed 1 bug when Screenly is switching between images or websites there is 1sec or 2sec black screen is there any solution to fix this?
I think that's already been reported a bit further up on this page: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... ad#p316496

Gr.
Dirk

iain1940
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:55 pm

Strange Problem after installation - cannot upload images.
Last week I installed my original 256MB model B at my golf club to display messages and images on the TV in the clubroom. Worked fine (as 192.168.1.50:8080). I had pre-set some web pages and images. I demonstrated the maintenance. The following day I was told they couldn't update. Today I went in and the address had moved to 192.168.1.44:8080. I could change which assets would load but could not upload a .jpg. I could select the image, give it a name but when I clicked 'save' it hung with a blue band.

I am now waiting for a new Pi so I cannot test this at home.
I created the SD card last month and upgraded it last week.

Can someone suggest where I should look.
Thanks
Iain

vpetersson
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:23 am
Contact: Website

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:35 pm

iain1940 wrote:Strange Problem after installation - cannot upload images.
Last week I installed my original 256MB model B at my golf club to display messages and images on the TV in the clubroom. Worked fine (as 192.168.1.50:8080). I had pre-set some web pages and images. I demonstrated the maintenance. The following day I was told they couldn't update. Today I went in and the address had moved to 192.168.1.44:8080. I could change which assets would load but could not upload a .jpg. I could select the image, give it a name but when I clicked 'save' it hung with a blue band.
Not sure about why it hung, but it seems like the system uses a poorly configured DHCP-server. Normally, the IP will remain the same even after the DHCP 'lease' is renewed.

I guess that could in theory affect the save feature too. The easiest solution is probably to switch to Static IP (try this http://www.penguintutor.com/blog/viewblog.php?blog=6306).
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

karhyv
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:38 am

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:48 am

Is there a way to add a group of images at once, e.g. all images in a folder, instead of making every image a separate asset?

Return to “Other projects”