vpetersson

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:36 pm

mrkarter77 wrote:Hey
Is it possible (i dont have a pi with me) to add images to the folders that the webserver is run from? so you could add an image source such as http://192.168.3.14:8080/images/image1.jpg

where the rpi address is 192.168.3.14 ?
Well, in theory you could, but it would be very messy and cause trouble when you try to upgrade in the future. Instead, I'd recommend that you use the newly added file upload support.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

Ofdoomz

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:58 pm

Hello.
I got some major problems installing screenly and I could need some help to find out what im doing wrong, does this tell anyone anything?
Im doing a it exactly like the guide(http://www.screenlyapp.com/ose.html) says but still not working...

Thanks

Code: Select all

insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (empty) of script `hwclock.sh´ overrides LSB defaults (S).
insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s)  (S) of script `hwclock.sh´ overrides LSB defaults (0 6).
gpg: key 90FDDD2B: 'Mike Thompson (Raspberry Pi Debian armhf AMv6+VFP) <mpthompson@gmail.com>" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: unchanged: 1
Warning: removed keys keyring /usr/share/keyrings/raspbian-archive-removed-keys.gpg missing or not readable
chgrp: cannot access `/var/lib/indiecity/*´ : No such file or directory
chgrp: cannot access `/var/local/bin/indiecity/*´ : No such file or directory
find: `./InstalledApps/*/Full/*_reg.xml´ : No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/etc/xdg/midori/extensions/libadblock.so´ : No such file or directory
Installing defendencies...
Extraction templates from packages: 100%
/run/udev or .udevdb or .udev presence implies active udev.   Aborting MAKEDEV invocation.
/run/udev or .udevdb or .udev presence implies active udev.   Aborting MAKEDEV invocation.

vpetersson

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:18 am

Ofdoomz wrote:Hello.
I got some major problems installing screenly and I could need some help to find out what im doing wrong, does this tell anyone anything?
Im doing a it exactly like the guide(http://www.screenlyapp.com/ose.html) says but still not working...

Thanks

insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (empty) of script `hwclock.sh´ overrides LSB defaults (S).
insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s)  (S) of script `hwclock.sh´ overrides LSB defaults (0 6).
gpg: key 90FDDD2B: 'Mike Thompson (Raspberry Pi Debian armhf AMv6+VFP) <mpthompson@gmail.com>" not changed
Warning: removed keys keyring /usr/share/keyrings/raspbian-archive-removed-keys.gpg missing or not readable
rmdir: failed to remove `/etc/xdg/midori/extensions/libadblock.so´ : No such file or directory
From the log, it looks like 'apt-get upgrade' fails.

Try running the following commands by hand and then re-run the installation:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),

Ofdoomz

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:05 pm

vpetersson wrote:
Ofdoomz wrote:Hello.

Thanks

From the log, it looks like 'apt-get upgrade' fails.

Try running the following commands by hand and then re-run the installation:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Thanks!
Now I got another question, when its loading a video, I get a black screen like 2 secs before it starts.
I read some eariler post but it seems you edited viewer.py since then.
Any other solution?

vpetersson

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:27 pm

Ofdoomz wrote: Thanks!
Now I got another question, when its loading a video, I get a black screen like 2 secs before it starts.
Any other solution?
Some delay is to be expected, since the Pi isn't that powerful. The delay usually depends on the how heavy the video you're playing is (along with latency from to the server you're streaming it from).

vpetersson

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:31 pm

Psst...here's a sneak-peak of the new interface we're working on:
http://viktorpetersson.com/upload/tmp/s ... k_peak.png

Darron.Michael

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:01 pm

Very nice. I'm currently running the newest Screenly-OSE on three Raspberry Pis with three HD TVs for digital signage within our facility. It works great and I like the new "Local Assets" option. I'm really looking forward to having it pre-load / cache assets in the background while displaying another asset. It takes so long for some web pages to draw (full-screen wunderground map for example) that I can't currently swap them in and out on a 30 second rate as it takes that long for it to fully render. Getting it to download fully before swapping assets will be a HUGE plus when the commercial version gets released. (I know there is a branch that might do this now, but I'm already pretty "bleeding edge" with the raspberry pi devices without wandering onto a branch release.)

8^D

Axel-b2

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:58 pm

vpetersson wrote:
Ofdoomz wrote: Thanks!
Any other solution?
Some delay is to be expected, since the Pi isn't that powerful. The delay usually depends on the how heavy the video you're playing is (along with latency from to the server you're streaming it from).
I tried to minimize such delays, by already (without the person watching the screen noticing) 'setting up' the next item (asset) that is to be shown, while the current asset is being displayed. For video, this is like telling the video player to start playing a video, and then immediately pressing its 'pause' button, such that it only has to be 'unpaused' when it has to start playing. The net effect should be that switching from one asset to the next is (at least for the person watching the screen) much more instantly. This is on my 'player-browser-fader' branch at github (discussed also earlier here).
Note that I have not been actively following all the recent work that has been done by vpetersson and others at wireload -- I hope these kind of features that I care about are picked up and integrated in the Wireload Screenly OSE version; otherwise, hopefully, at some time when the dust settles, I'll see whether I can merge their work with mine.

Axel.

vpetersson

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:16 pm

Axel-b2 wrote: I tried to minimize such delays, by already (without the person watching the screen noticing) 'setting up' the next item (asset) that is to be shown, while the current asset is being displayed. For video, this is like telling the video player to start playing a video, and then immediately pressing its 'pause' button, such that it only has to be 'unpaused' when it has to start playing. The net effect should be that switching from one asset to the next is (at least for the person watching the screen) much more instantly. This is on my 'player-browser-fader' branch at github (discussed also earlier here).
Note that I have not been actively following all the recent work that has been done by vpetersson and others at wireload -- I hope these kind of features that I care about are picked up and integrated in the Wireload Screenly OSE version; otherwise, hopefully, at some time when the dust settles, I'll see whether I can merge their work with mine.

Axel.

Your approach here is definitely interesting. Once we feel that we've ironed out the shortcomings in the MVP, we will most likely take a look at your branches to see if it still fits.

The approach you've taken makes a lot of sense to me, but I'm just concerned about the memory utilization of having multiple assets loaded simultaneously. Also, it would require more sophisticated handling of video assets (i'm not sure how far along you got there). Yet, I still haven't taken a closer look at it, so I shouldn't say too much about it before doing so.

anyoneuno

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:10 pm

First of all I bought my Raspberry Pi strictly to test out using Screenly... and I love it. Thanks for sharing the code. One question though, I haven't found an answer to when searching the board is:

Can you disable the auto-running of screenly and instead boot into wheezy and then configure a shortcut or trigger to launch screenly? Sorry if this had already been addressed, I couldn't find it.

Ofdoomz

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:58 pm

Any news on the pro edition?

nikize

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:13 am

anyoneuno wrote:First of all I bought my Raspberry Pi strictly to test out using Screenly... and I love it. Thanks for sharing the code. One question though, I haven't found an answer to when searching the board is:

Can you disable the auto-running of screenly and instead boot into wheezy and then configure a shortcut or trigger to launch screenly? Sorry if this had already been addressed, I couldn't find it.
Currently no.
The recommendation is to use different SD cards.
Screenly wants a clean desktop, and also you want to avoid the extra memory use of a desktop in the background.

vpetersson

Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:16 pm

Ofdoomz wrote: Any news on the pro edition?
We have a few beta testers, and it's moving along fine.
Currently, our focus is to wrap up an overhaul on Screenly OSE. You can view the progress here: https://github.com/wireload/screenly-os ... creenly-ui

Here's a new screenshot from today's build:
http://viktorpetersson.com/upload/screenly_ose_ui.png

Once that is done, we will proceed and do the same with Screenly Pro. After this we will be able to let in more users.

Ofdoomz

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:57 pm

vpetersson wrote:
Ofdoomz wrote: Any news on the pro edition?
We have a few beta testers, and it's moving along fine.
Currently, our focus is to wrap up an overhaul on Screenly OSE. You can view the progress here: https://github.com/wireload/screenly-os ... creenly-ui

Here's a new screenshot from today's build:
http://viktorpetersson.com/upload/screenly_ose_ui.png

Once that is done, we will proceed and do the same with Screenly Pro. After this we will be able to let in more users.
Looks great! Im really looking forward to see the pro verison when its released.

webus

Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi there,
afther playing a while with the nice builded screenly i've encountered some problems
Images i've made in 1920x1080 won't show full, none mp4 start, some suggestions to look at?
Is it possible to change the screen resolution?

Thanx in advance,

kind regards,

werner

webus

Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:49 pm

Edit on my previous post,

the size was my own mistake, forgot to set the overscan/framebuffer to correct settings, think that happens when playing around,,:)

tried a clean install, everything works now, except the mp4 oxmplayer...

greet,

werner

vpetersson

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:26 am

webus wrote: tried a clean install, everything works now, except the mp4 oxmplayer...
I'm 99% certain that this is a codec issue. OMXPlayer is very picky with the encoding. It must be h264 encoded content.

webus

Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Viktor,

thanks for u'r reply, i'll look the encoding again.
A truly thank u btw for all the work u've done.
Is there already a new interface ready? and what is the status of the pro version? We are planning to sell this commercially in the Netherlands, and preferring a multi-user.
We have made translations for the gui btw, ( into dutch ) upload them to git?

greets, \

Werner

vpetersson

Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:16 pm

webus wrote: thanks for u'r reply, i'll look the encoding again.
A truly thank u btw for all the work u've done.
No worries. It's only getting better from here :)
webus wrote: Is there already a new interface ready?
It's ready as in you can try it out. Just check out the 'screenly-ui'-branch. That said, it isn't ready for production use yet, as there are still work-in-progress. We hope to wrap it up in the next week or two.
webus wrote: What is the status of the pro version?
It's coming along, but right now, as I mentioned before, all our resources are put towards wrapping up the new UI for OSE.
webus wrote: We are planning to sell this commercially in the Netherlands, and preferring a multi-user.
We have made translations for the gui btw, ( into dutch ) upload them to git?
Cool. We won't be able to accept translations yet and won't probably be able to in a while.

First we need to make sure the English-version is ready. Not until we're comfortable with the English-version, we would look into localization (which is a tricky and very time-consuming task).

webus

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:58 pm

Hi there,

the mp4 plays now :) it was the other 1% i've updated the firmware ( wich was already up to date but anyhow..) and now the files ar playing, amazingly nice view ..

greet,

werner

Sterlingp

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:07 am

I just wanna say. I love this software. Screenly has worked perfect for me. But I do have a question. Is there anyway to store playlists? They wipe after a reboot. I'm giving a "digital frame" to my lady and she has a habit of unplugging anything she isn't using. It's kinda frustrating having to rebuild a playlist of 30+ pictures every time I start up the pi.

webus

Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:09 am

Hi Sterlingp

The playlist should not be wiped, never happend with my.
Afther a reboot it takes some time to reload, aprox 30 sec till 2minutes.perhaps waita little bit longer .

Greets

Werner

Sterlingp

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:09 pm

Yeah i think i realized that after i had written it. Now is there a way to batch pictures into one playlist?

vpetersson

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:21 am

Sterlingp wrote: Now is there a way to batch pictures into one playlist?
No, not at the moment, but we will hopefully merge in the new user interface into the master branch today or tomorrow. That will significantly improve the workflow of working with assets.

Stine

Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:16 pm

I went to your site to check out the demo, as far as I can tell I can not add a asset. I always get an error:

Error 500: Internal Server Error

Sorry, the requested URL 'http://ose/process_asset' caused an error:

Internal Server Error
I have tried to use a image from my computer to upload and also a web url for a imge, both images are small 320x240 and 18.78 kb in size.

Return to “Other projects”