JimmyN

Wood display stand for RPF 7" display

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:51 pm

Here are some pictures of the wood frame I made for the RPi display. I bought a display as soon as they were available then set to work creating something to hold it. Unfortunately by the time I got it finished the firmware had changed and the image rotated 180. AARGH! I can't rotate the display in the frame because I offset the RPi so the ports are available at the side rather than in the back. But I thought I'd post pictures to provide some ideas for anyone else doing something similar.

After looking at it I decided that rather than stacking the two circuit boards it would work better to extend the RPi over to the side. That placed the ethernet and USB ports on the right edge so they are easier to connect, and makes it similar to a notebook or tablet setup (in the next version they will be on the left side, everything rotates 180deg). I also put a power plug on the end with the ports.

It will lay flat, stand it up vertically, or lean back.

I slotted the holes in the frame where it fastens to the display backplate, so I'd have a little bit of slack up and down to shift it, I didn't want any pressure on the flex cable coming out of the display. But I didn't have any washers that would cover the slots like I wanted, so the two thin wood strips are actually just "washers" to cover up the slotted holes underneath. I cut two plastic spacers to support the end of the RPi where the ports are, and screwed those to the frame, and I also cut down the provided standoffs to lower it a little.

After studying the situation a bit I think I can rework it to rotate the screen, so all may not be lost. I can use a flush cut saw and cut off the two side pieces, then rotate the leg assembly 180deg and make two new side pieces. I also need to make the frame itself a little wider so the ports come out flush with the sides. I made the frame first, then decided to offset the RPi so the ports were on the side, but my frame was a bit narrow for that, so the ports extend out past the face some. I'll fix that in the rework. I think having the ports available on the side works much better than having them around in back.

PeterO

Re: Wood display stand for RPF 7" display

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:57 pm

I like the way you've offset the PI so that the USB and Ethernet connectors come naturally to the edge of the box. 8-)
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

scotty101

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:06 pm

Looks great! Wish my wood work skills were half as good as yours!
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

Hove

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:11 pm

Nice bit of retro-chique!
www.pistuffing.co.uk - Raspberry Pi and other stuffing!

hippy

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:47 pm

JimmyN wrote:After studying the situation a bit I think I can rework it to rotate the screen, so all may not be lost.
I believe there's some 'lcd_rotate' option in config.txt which would be worth investigating first.

JimmyN

Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:45 pm

@PeterO It does work out much better, maybe some of the display stand manufacturers will catch on... I should have patented the idea.. :mrgreen:

@Scotty101 It just takes some practice and a little attention to detail. Believe it or not I made that from a mahogany board that was about 5"X12"x3/4" thick using just a table saw to rip the pieces from the board, a double edged Japanese style handsaw to cut the miters and dovetails, some Forstner bits for the holes, a small hand plane, and a couple of chisels. It doesn't require a lot of gear to turn out small projects like this.

@Hove Yes.... Retro. I grew up in the 50's and 60's so I like retro stuff, it takes me back to "the good ol days". I had started planning for a RPi internet radio/mp3 player but hadn't decided if I wanted to go with a "beehive" style cabinet or a rectangular one, I definitely wanted a retro look for the radio. But the RPF released the 7" display so I got sidetracked from my radio project.

@hippy I am already using the "lcd_rotate", that's why the screen image is right side up in the pictures. But the viewing angles suffer some when using the screen upside down, so I'm going to rework it so I can flip the screen over.

Woll

Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:55 pm

That looks very good indeed.
I've just had an idea about building a Raspberry Pi Tablet that looks like a Retro TV with the speaker on one side like the TV's in the old days.
And a battery bank at the bottom to weight it down.
Yours is the best looking Pi-Let, Pi-Pad posted on the forum so far.
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

killor

Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:18 pm

Great job !!
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

JimmyN

Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:51 pm

I had a problem with the 7" display, the glass (lens) on the front was sagging down over time to the point it wasn't usable. And I had given up on the idea of making a new improved case/stand. But I think I solved the problem with the display, so I made a trim plate to go around the USB/Ethernet ports and put everything back together.

I'll use it for a few days to a week and if the screen sagging is no longer an issue I"ll start working on a new version that is the appropriate width for the ports, and a few other improvements I have in mind. I'll do the new one in Sketchup so any woodcrafters out there that want to make their own will have all the dimensions, angles, etc.

This is what it looks like now, much better without the ugly gap around the ports, and the ports sticking out way too far.

killor

Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:49 am

Looks great !!

If you allow me a suggestion and
If you have a router machine,

Would pass through the edges of the frame to give it a rounded shape,
improving their appearance much more.

G. Perez
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

JimmyN

Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:44 pm

Thank you, and you're right it probably would look better with the edges rounded over more. I'll probably do that on the next one.

Woll

Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:14 pm

JimmyN wrote:Here are some pictures of the wood frame I made for the RPi display. I bought a display as soon as they were available then set to work creating something to hold it. Unfortunately by the time I got it finished the firmware had changed and the image rotated 180. AARGH! I can't rotate the display in the frame because I offset the RPi so the ports are available at the side rather than in the back. But I thought I'd post pictures to provide some ideas for anyone else doing something similar.

After looking at it I decided that rather than stacking the two circuit boards it would work better to extend the RPi over to the side. That placed the ethernet and USB ports on the right edge so they are easier to connect, and makes it similar to a notebook or tablet setup (in the next version they will be on the left side, everything rotates 180deg). I also put a power plug on the end with the ports.

It will lay flat, stand it up vertically, or lean back.

I slotted the holes in the frame where it fastens to the display backplate, so I'd have a little bit of slack up and down to shift it, I didn't want any pressure on the flex cable coming out of the display. But I didn't have any washers that would cover the slots like I wanted, so the two thin wood strips are actually just "washers" to cover up the slotted holes underneath. I cut two plastic spacers to support the end of the RPi where the ports are, and screwed those to the frame, and I also cut down the provided standoffs to lower it a little.

After studying the situation a bit I think I can rework it to rotate the screen, so all may not be lost. I can use a flush cut saw and cut off the two side pieces, then rotate the leg assembly 180deg and make two new side pieces. I also need to make the frame itself a little wider so the ports come out flush with the sides. I made the frame first, then decided to offset the RPi so the ports were on the side, but my frame was a bit narrow for that, so the ports extend out past the face some. I'll fix that in the rework. I think having the ports available on the side works much better than having them around in back.
Your in this month edition of MagPi (no39 Nov 15) on page 45.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/issues/39/
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

JimmyN

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:00 pm

WOW! Thank you, I had no idea. I gotta go check it out........

Return to “Other projects”