jack.chaney

Docking Station

Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:15 pm

Hi, has anyone come up with a docking station for the Raspberry Pi. The two part kind like larger laptops use to keep from plugging and unplugging all the cables. I think it would be real handy in an educational environment, so the students only need to take the board (small case) from location to location (home, class, library, etc.)

dan3008

Re: Docking Station

Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:53 pm

That kind of thing would be more practical with the compute module. But I'm sure i've seen similar ideas poking round the interwebs... If I find one, I'll let you know :)
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

BMS Doug

Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:11 pm

As I understand the operation a docking station mates into a connector on the bottom of the laptop and makes a bunch of connections, passing the USB and video signals out to the docking station.

There are a bunch of test points and other connections on the bottom of the Pi board but getting a clean connection to every point, every time seems like a difficult call.

I don't think that the HDMI connections are available on the bottom of the Pi.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

dan3008

Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:13 pm

the problem is because all the connectors are on different sides, so its not really a docking station if you have to put all the wires in separately...

again, the best way to make a docking station would be the compute module, that has all connections on one side

BMS Doug

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:28 pm

Actually I've just thought of the perfect use of the Pi Docking station.

Carry around a small piece of equipment that you simply and easily plug in at each location where you want to use it.

The docking stations will each cost about $35, (discounts available in bulk).

The Docking station is a Pi2B (can be replaced with the cheaper Pi B+, A+ or B docking stations if budget is an issue) and the device you are carrying is an SD card.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

dan3008

Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:56 pm

touché Mr Doug

funny thing is, I have been seriously working on a compute module docking station for projects, but at the moment, cant justify the exspence, when space isnt an issue

MysticWhiteDragon

Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:51 am

This may sound a little silly, but here's how I would do it.

Get two project boxes and some perf board. Get some header pins and put the female on one side and the male on the other.

Number of headers:
40 GPIO + (4 USB x 4 pins) + 2 pins microUSB Power + 19 pins HDMI + 4 pin AV +4 pins ethernet = 85 pins

Yeah I know there are 8 wires for the ethernet jack, but only 4 are used for 10/100 TX. All 8 are only used in Gb ethernet.

Just get some HDMI breakout boards and you could do it this way. Only thing is that this is way too time consuming.

Or if you don't need access to the GPIO, just USB and HDMI, what about something like this?
http://www.kappasite.pwp.blueyonder.co. ... y_pip2.htm

Just add a powered USB hub and an ethernet to USB adapter. I mean all 4 USB ports and LAN run off of a single USB connection, so there is no speed loss there.

jack.chaney

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:51 pm

Hi,
Lots of great suggestions. All the stuff I have seen gives me the impression that the Raspberry Pi is still a new product and opportunities to create devices are available. I am going to play around with some connection ideas and a little mechanics, to see if there is a simple solution for what I am seeking.

Thank you all,

ArskaB73

Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:14 am

I recently purchased a used HP USB 2.0 Docking Station and to my suprise it works on PC's and Mac using DisplayLink drivers. They also seem to have drivers for Chrome OS, Android and Ubuntu. I also found this info on the driver downloa page:

"DisplayLink has not created drivers for other packages, however the Ubuntu driver contains an open source component which is designed to be modified to enable the Ubuntu driver to be repackaged for any other Linux distro by the user community."

So there is a strong change it can be used with raspberry pi. The dockin stations offer following ports: Audio in/out, ethernet, DVI, VGA, and 4 x USB 2.0

If I test it my self I will tell about the results...

The DS I am using is perfect for my purposes. I use multiple laptops with different OS's and I can now easily connect the to the same devices with USB :)

Return to “Other projects”