SlayingDragons

Re: Pirate box, anyone?

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:45 pm

So I stumbled upon the pirate box again just a couple days ago, which I had originally just passed over because it would be too expensive for me to set up. But with the raspi coming out (hopefully) in the next couple months, it would be perfect for setting one up.

Linky: http://wiki.daviddarts.com/PirateBox

A small, cheap, low-power potentially battery-powered device that can run a USB wireless NIC and a USB flash drive or hard drive is exactly what I needed to make this happen. :D

I'm going to make them (Yep, I'll probably be making a couple) powered by a modified MintyBoost circuit that allows the batteries to be recharged by solar power, so I can run them for hours or potentially days outside. Then I may hide and network them together and encourage my friends to do the same, so we can make a giant piratey network across my whole town. Or something. :P

Who else wants to make a pirate box? Any suggestions or what not? Discuss.

MrAdam

Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:24 pm

That actually sounds like a really nice idea. Only problem I can see is that the size of the solar panel required to run it would be pretty big, at least if you are using an usb harddrive. Also, you would need some way for it to turn on automatically when it gets power again (after a cloudy day)

panik

Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:55 pm

This is awesome on many levels.
Thanks for sharing!
Microcontroller addon boards and software for Raspberry Pi A+/B+/Pi2:
- ARMinARM: ARM Cortex-M3 (STM32)
- AVRPi: ATmega32U4 & ATmega328 ("Arduino")
http://www.onandoffables.com

geeus

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:36 pm

I currently have an old netgear router i've been looking to do something similar one. didn't know about dead drops( very cool and just found out there is one not far from where I live). but the levels of interface that a ras-p system could deliver would be amazing. ( and what about one for a permanent dead drop) hehe living the idea
regards Gee
Gee The Rabid Inventor :)

SlayingDragons

Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:37 am

Quote from MrAdam on October 29, 2011, 21:24
That actually sounds like a really nice idea. Only problem I can see is that the size of the solar panel required to run it would be pretty big, at least if you are using an usb harddrive. Also, you would need some way for it to turn on automatically when it gets power again (after a cloudy day)

Hmm, True. That's why I was thinking a USB flash drive would be better. They come in pretty big sizes today too, like 64gb. It only needs to supply 1 watt of power though, so it's definitely doable. 5v at 250mA/h can be pretty easily powered by solar. I'll use some rechargeable C or D batteries instead of AA batteries for more mA, and maybe have it hibernate until noon to recharge for a while.

According to wikipedia, 2 rechargeable NiMH D-sized battery in series has 12,000 mA at 3v, so boosted to 5v would have 7,200 mA if my calculations are correct. This would give ~28 hours of power at 250mA/h, so if there's 12 hours in a day, I'd need a solar panel that could supply > 500mA/h at 5v or 833mA/h at 3v in order to power it 24/7... That's not bad, a lot of portable cell phone solar chargers can do that. Cloudy days would definitely be an issue though, no real way around that. :\

Quote from geeus on October 30, 2011, 00:36
I currently have an old netgear router i've been looking to do something similar one. didn't know about dead drops( very cool and just found out there is one not far from where I live). but the levels of interface that a ras-p system could deliver would be amazing. ( and what about one for a permanent dead drop) hehe living the idea
regards Gee

Personally, I don't plan on using a router at all; instead I'm going to set the wireless card to ad-hoc mode, and have the raspi redirect all outgoing traffic to the home page, which is a lot simpler imo. It's also a lot easier extended, because you just can connect one machine to another easily, being ad-hoc and all. And it's not quite a dead drop, but very similar. :P

kattle87

Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:47 am

You'd better go with a model A:
your storage could be just the SD card (16 GB), you get one USB wifi, power it, and you're done. It might be as little as 50€. And, you can add a knots server (arm11 should be enough for ruby to work properly I hope) and make it a pirate-video-streaming box. How does that sound? ^^

Goggles2114

Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:50 am

I'm against dead drops since you're taking a chance on some joker wiring a USB plug to a battery and woopsie. That plug poking out of a wall has fried your laptop.

Pirate Boxes on the other hand.... I like.

Of course give nthe current anti-person mindset the Corporate Overlords have taken vs the Internet in America I'd like a complete laternitive ot the Internet since it'd be something we can do ourselves and can't be shut down.

SlayingDragons

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:52 am

Quote from kattle87 on October 30, 2011, 02:47
You'd better go with a model A:
your storage could be just the SD card (16 GB), you get one USB wifi, power it, and you're done. It might be as little as 50€. And, you can add a knots server (arm11 should be enough for ruby to work properly I hope) and make it a pirate-video-streaming box. How does that sound? ^^

Well, the only problem with SD cards is that I believe the highest stable class is class 4, so it can only write at 4mb/s. Then again, for wireless, an upload/download speed of 2-4mb/s is perfectly acceptable, so it may be fine. I think I'll leave out video streaming, however, as if there's ever going to be multiple users on one, it will hog bandwidth and slow it down for everyone else. And ruby ran really slowly in the kid's ruby demo, so I think I'll pass because of that too. >_>

Once I get my pi, I'll set it up and experiment a bit for the best and cheapest configuration, then post a guide, an image and a couple scripts for linux/unix to autoformat an SD, so anyone can set up a pirate box. :D

Edit: Quick question: Is the board compatible with SDHC cards?

Edit2: In addition to having some music, movies, and books/webpages on there, I'm thinking of putting a couple OSS games on there like OpenArena which can run on any platform, and have it run as a server for it all the time. That way anyone can stop by and play a couple quick games of quake and such.

kattle87

Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:09 pm

The ruby code just runs the web interface, should be lightweight enough. The streaming is actually managed by VLC (and you can usually just go with a passthrough profine so no transcoding is needed -> should work well on a 700Mhz ARM11) but "streaming for multiple users" will probably be 3 people at max? That is 4x2 = 8 mb/s (DVD quality in h264), and if a class 4 SD cards can handle 4mB/s reading, and the wireless can keep with it (and it should), we are fine!
The only question is if the SDHC support is there. Well, it is, but it also looks like some cards are not working :S

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:17 pm

Hmmmmm.... Something like this? http://www.xkcd.org/956/
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

tdk1007

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:12 pm

Has anyone made progress on a Pirate box? I just got my raspberry pi and would love to try this out!

cave

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:55 pm

bump,

maybe we should post on the Pirate Box Forum.

Has someone tried OpenWrt image on the Pi and then tried to install PirateBox ???

http://elinux.org/RPi_Distributions#Comparison <-- link to OpenWrt is available.
http://cavebeat.blogspot.co.at

dan3008

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:15 am

Maybe a silly idea, but if piratebox isnt working, why not just mount an external hard disk, or any other memory, as a samba drive, along with using Hostapd (and wifi dongle). From there, a client interface shouldnt be hard to make.
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

tdk1007

Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:45 am

Well it sounds like lots of progress is being made over on the Pirate Box forums, but I have not found a complete tutorial yet.

http://forum.daviddarts.com/read.php?2,5183

dan3008

Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:40 pm

http://piratebox.aod-rpg.de/dokuwiki/do ... =raspberry

Yup. Pirate box is working on pi :D No need for writing our own version. Although, I might just make my own interface ect myself anyway :)

tdk1007

Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:50 pm

Awesome! I just ordered a new usb wifi adapter. Hope to have it up & running this week!

dan3008

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:19 pm

I've had it up and running useing this. Not the fastest pirate box i've used. but sure as hell is the cheapest, and most versitle :L

unfortunaitally, my SD card fried before i made a backup.

I hope to make some addons soon

Return to “Other projects”