batfastad

Aluminium case, Barch Designs?

Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:08 am

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone's tried out one of these alu cases?
http://www.raspberry-pi-case.com
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Barch-Designs
They look pretty good and I like the idea of a sturdy metal case. I've not even ordered a RaspberryPi yet but I will at some point.

They look great for building small embedded systems. I'm planning a standalone scanner server.
But what sort of heat generation are we talking here?
Does there need to be any cooling inside the case or can it be run completely passively cooled even under load?

Cheers, B

gurnarok

Re: Aluminium case, Barch Designs?

Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:22 am

I don't believe that there's much heat generation, since the ARM processor is low voltage, I might be wrong. That case looks cool and I believe that you would break your floor before you can break that :D

Montala

Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:38 am

I was interested to read that it sits on a piece of Neoprene Foam Rubber, and to quote their comments "When the top and bottom half of the case are put together, the neoprene squishes to conform to the shape of the bottom of the circuit board which holds the Raspberry Pi snuggly in place while avoiding unnecessary pressure on the circuit board."

I can't really make up my mind at the moment if this a good idea or not... what do others think?

It does look very smart though... even if slightly expensive, although it does offer a bit more than most other cases!

Steep

Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:22 am

Montala wrote:I can't really make up my mind at the moment if this a good idea or not... what do others think?
Bad, neoprene is an insulator, better to have the circuit board sitting on little polyurethane feet, it would still be 'non slip' and have air space underneath.

Montala

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:58 am

Interestingly their EBay page now displays the statement: "Due to overwhelming demand we have temporarily stopped orders for our original Raspberry Pi Case. We are currently working on a revised version and will be back very soon once we finish prototyping Version 2. We expect to have full stock and be able to keep up with the high demand starting August 1st."

It looks as is some folks liked it then! ;)

benjaminbarch

Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:14 pm

They now offer a new version of the case which is a true heat sink design. They've also added Fiber Optics above the LED to see them from the outside of the case. Added access to the GPIO port, as well as it is mountable to a wall or a desk.

Lots of good pictures.
http://www.raspberry-pi-case.com

Fry

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:59 am

received my version 2 of the case a couple of days ago - now they sell version "2.3" with LED descriptions engraved. Funny enough, the new engraved labels IMHO look messy (what's up with the OK, POWER and 100M?) - I prefer my 3 char long labels that I've written on the case with an extra fine CD marker.

I've measured the temperature of the case with an infrared thermometer (actually I had to stick a small piece of black electrical tape to the case, otherwise I got funny readings thanks to the reflective surface), and it measured around 40.3 degrees Celsius (104.54 degrees Fahrenheit) with the room temperature around 28 C (82.4 F).

Without the case, the larger chip would be around 45 C (113 F), the smaller chip ran at 50 C (122 F), so I guess that "heatsink" part of the case works as well ;)

batfastad

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:28 am

I've not ordered a Pi yet but this case does look really good and puts it into play for various embedded projects I can think of.

One thing I would like to see is a case that extends over the SD card/slot to keep that internal and protected from accidental tampering.

RaTTuS

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:41 am

I do like this one,
though a bit on the expensive side... it is nicely done
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

campi

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:54 am

batfastad wrote:I've not ordered a Pi yet but this case does look really good and puts it into play for various embedded projects I can think of.

One thing I would like to see is a case that extends over the SD card/slot to keep that internal and protected from accidental tampering.
You could always use one of the micro-SD converters that Adafruit have just launched - it comes within the Pi footprint when inserted. Then all you have to do is blank off the SD card slot with a thin piece of plastic inside the case.

campi

zboz

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:35 pm

Has anyone found a rugged case for robotics use with a high IP-class?
We are talking close to military field spec here but with some cheaper connectors.

I have my own CNC equipment but I wouldn't want to tie up time on machines dedicated to high volume work.

naypalm

Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:42 am

This case is awesome, you need more publicity benjaminbarch! ;)
uberbills.tk | bitse.tk

Return to “Other projects”