Jamerman

Need help with IDE and USB connections

Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:13 pm

Got an old non-functioning hard drive, wanted to use it as a case for Pi (making it into a synthesizer, controlled via a USB midi keyboard). So I removed the disk and am left with a female molex connector and a 39-pin IDE bus (I assume these are what they are since I have had no experience with how hard drives are connected before today) on the inside, and on the outside a 12V and 5V power in/out socket, on/off switch, and a USB-B socket.

Inside case:

Outside case:

The power supply seems fairly simple; just cut the plastic end of the molex connector off, solder the Red and Black molex wires (5V in / out respectively) to a micro usb.

However the more complicated part is with getting the midi signal from the keyboard to the Pi. The keyboard outputs with a USB type B socket, fine. But then connecting that to the new case is an issue. It seems I would need a type B to type B cable. Do they even work? I understand electronically type A and B are identical, but would the keyboard still send data through to the type B connector?

The other issue is with the inside of the case having IDE pins, which in the the original hard drive would read/write on the disk. But here I simply want to use the pins to give me the output of the keyboard into the USB on the Pi. I found a pinout image of what all the pins do on the IDE, but with 16 different pins for data (0-15) compared to USB 2.0's Data +/- pins, I really have no idea what I'm doing here.

So those are the two main issues; Does Usb B to Usb B work, and are IDE pins even compatible with USB 2.0?

Thank you, and please tell me if any of this is impossible, or if there's a better way of doing it, etc. Cheers :D

kyled2012

Re: Need help with IDE and USB connections

Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:22 am

You won't be able to use the IDE to USB adaptor board in the way you are describing. It can only provide an IDE connection from a USB port, it can not handle this configuration.
Your best option would be to remove the circuit board from the case and use the premade holes to thread cables through or add connectors to suit your application. Or you could leave the board in the case to use it's power supply, you would then have to drill holes for your USB devices though. One way or other you will have to make some modification to the setup.

Jamerman

Re: Need help with IDE and USB connections

Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:39 pm

Heh I was hoping I wouldn't have to drill many on the front, but that's fine and seems much simpler

Thank you

Return to “Other projects”