bnolsen

Re: Android

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:20 pm

Windows phone has minimum specs that discounts the R-PI entirely.
Armv7 or better instruction set, minimum 256MB ram.You'd be better off with meego, etc.

The n900 probably best approximates the rpiB (same amount of ram, slightly more efficient cpu, much worse gpu). And of course you can recompile/reconfigure the kernel to your heart's content.

abishur

Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:23 pm

Quote from kind3rgarten on October 27, 2011, 09:53
Windows 8 does look very nice especially the integration with e Windows phone applications and possibly Xbox live with games.
Does anyone think that the Raspberry Pi will be able to run Windows 8 when it finally releases?

Well... probably not no. The Windows 8 ARM version requires quiet the hefty hardware to run on, much more than the r-pi will have to offer. Maybe on the heftier (and much more expensive) beagleboard or pandaboard?

Plus ignoring the hardware issue, someone would have to figure out what memory address to put the display into the GPU just to get a basic screen showing without hardware acceleration.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

riffraff

Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:57 am

It's a shame Ubuntu dropped ARM support. A lightning strike destroyed my over-clocked AMD Monster Box and I was forced to dig a P-III with 256MB ram out of the garage. Ubuntu and Fedora were too much like heavy lifting for it, so I loaded Xubuntu and was perfectly pleased with the performance. I was able to salvage my Nvidia Ge-Force card from my fried Frankenstein so I was not hurting one bit. Xubuntu would have been a perfect fit for the Pi.

riffraff

Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:22 am

I fail to see the charm of attempting to run Android on the Pi (except to say it can be done). Android is all about device integration - of course it SUCKS as an OS. Why would you even want it on the Pi? You don't have access touch screen or camera or GPS or the magnetic, light, acceleration and orientation sensors (throw a Pi across the room and the first you do is pull all the cords). Let Android be Android. I'm happy with my droid. It's a phone AND a Linux box. It's just a really good example of the flexibility of Linux and why we want to show kids there's a whole universe beyond Windows.

Lance Constable Carrot

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:14 am

I haven't ever developed anything in Android, but I'm against programing languages like Java or C# because they don't really manage memory in an efficient way, though they allow to do the things smart. I've developed an GIS application in C# and then in objective C under iOS, and in objective C I can do the same things with much less memory.

I'm also developing for the iPad, which is a device with only 256Mb of memory, just the same as the Raspberry PI, and if you compare it with Android tablets with 1Gb of memory which do the same things as an iPad!!! I don't like Apple, but I think that the way Apple do things is awesome, and other companies should learn of it.

johnf

Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:49 pm

riFFraFF said:

I fail to see the charm of attempting to run Android on the Pi (except to say it can be done). Android is all about device integration - of course it SUCKS as an OS. Why would you even want it on the Pi? You don"t have access touch screen or camera or GPS or the magnetic, light, acceleration and orientation sensors (throw a Pi across the room and the first you do is pull all the cords). Let Android be Android. I"m happy with my droid. It"s a phone AND a Linux box. It"s just a really good example of the flexibility of Linux and why we want to show kids there"s a whole universe beyond Windows.

I am not competent in programming matters, so please give me a layman`s response to the following:

There is a blindness assist device called "The vOICe" which digitises and sonifies a low resolution webcam input. It is available in Windows  and also as an Android app. My question is,
  "Is it feasible to use the Pi as dedicated processor for a lightweight vOICe setup using Android , without the functions of cellphone, GPS, etc.? "
At present, the  blind user either carries around a PC in a backpack, with weight, heat, cables...  or  has to hold out a smartphone  to use its camera, while fiddling with its tiny control interface. The tiny R-Pi, with its own camera, would perfectly fit into a head-mounted configuration. A mini- or chord keypad would suffice.

(Material similar to this has already been posted in another thread)   (seeingwithsound.com  is the home of The vOICe)  johnf.

tufty

Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:50 am

johnf said:

(Material similar to this has already been posted in another thread)   (seeingwithsound.com  is the home of The vOICe)

johnf.

It is somewhat ironic that the seeingwithsound.com site appears to totally ignore the various web accessibility rules.  It does, however, spend a lot of time making sure that its ads are served.

Shame they don't do open source, really, although there's a fair amount of similar projects that do.  With a bit of (well, probably quite a lot of) support from people like JamesH, the Pi could very well make a *very* good substitute for their "heavy backpack".

The basic approach that they are taking appears to be fairly simple, and should be able to be relatively easily offloaded onto the Pi's GPU using OpenGL - the main complexity appears to be to do with hardware support, and the Pi shouldn't have that problem.

johnf

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:01 pm

Thank you for information.  As for your remarks about accessibility, I guess that  The vOICe  is a fully formed  medical research  tool, with a wide range of subordinate  effects  built in.... The very interesting colour, movement,and other camera functions alone would make  it a  robotics  asset.

However the potential exists, , with the cost advantage of the pi, to give obstacle avoidance immediately, and hopefully a partial effect of sightedness at least, to longterm and recently blinded persons....this is of utmost value.

The vOICe is based on self help and  the website  is buoyant with new material coming in by the day.

I have been with this group for two years, and what I see is lacking is some revolutionary  input in terms of the  hardware  and human interface.  The availability of Android would be a great leap forward, in terms of miniaturisation and simplicity.    johnf

hvc123

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:48 pm

DROID on RPi would rule as a car pc project(This is what i intend to do), as a home device im not so sure.

all the things like GPS Radio and everything else you would need is available as usb dongles.

there is a box being sold by maplins that runs droid and is a freeview reciew and mediaplayer for 80 squid

Godkarmachine

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:24 pm

I could see a few use cases for Android on RPi; faux tablets, car PCs, HTPCs, etc. Personally, I was going to experiment with it as an HTPC, since it'd probably be the best possible option for Netflix streaming (at least, unless and until Netflix finally releases a Linux client).  What I'm saying is that, while there are better options for general purpose computing, Android is compelling enough to be an option.  I might just experiment with compiling it myself if nobody else is willing to do so.

As for what was said earlier about Android being somehow "fake open", I'm not sure what the issue is.  The source is readily available, and is used in a variety of other open projects, from CyanogenMod to Android-x86.  Heck, their changes are even getting merged back into the Linux kernel.  Google's apps are closed, true, and Google made it to make money, true, but frankly, Google has been very good at giving back to the community that it has built its products on.  And no, ad blockers don't get removed from the Android market; I've had AdFree Android on my phone since I got it, with no issues.

Return to “Other projects”