RichShumaker

Are there any GPU based drawing programs?

Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:12 pm

Are there any GPU based drawing programs for the Pi?
I thought a simple drawing Pad to HDMi screen would be good for any Teacher.
A way to type, write, draw, then save and distribute electronically to the class.

Like a virtual overhead projector, maybe even with pictures, and sound, and a movie?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Rich Shumaker
http://www.instructables.com/id/Pi-Zero-W-NoIR-8MP-Camera-Build-Overview-Introduct/

fruitoftheloom

Re: Are there any GPU based drawing programs?

Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:45 pm

Wacom Tablets appear to be supported in latest Raspbian Wheezy distro as a HiD Device, maybe you could confirm ?

Software worth investigating to see if suits your needs are:

krita
inkscape
gimp
Retired disgracefully.....

RichShumaker

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:18 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Wacom Tablets appear to be supported in latest Raspbian Wheezy distro as a HiD Device, maybe you could confirm ?

Software worth investigating to see if suits your needs are:

krita
inkscape
gimp
Do you know if any of this software is GPU enhanced?
I tried GIMP, heheh, I laugh as it was not too fast when I tried.
Rich Shumaker
http://www.instructables.com/id/Pi-Zero-W-NoIR-8MP-Camera-Build-Overview-Introduct/

rpdom

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:21 am

RichShumaker wrote:Do you know if any of this software is GPU enhanced?
I doubt any of it is, and I'm not sure it would make much difference for that sort of work.
I tried GIMP, heheh, I laugh as it was not too fast when I tried.
The GIMP uses a lot of resources. It is fairly slow on my 1.6GHz P4M Debian laptop.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:29 am

Paint packages like GIMP cannot really take advantage of the sort of acceleration a GPU provides. The pixel level operations that GIMP needs just don't have analogs in the GPUs domain.

I used to work on a paint package called Satori (on Windows) - we got pretty good performance from machines in the late '90's so < Raspi level CPU speed. So it should be perfectly possible to get decent performance on the Raspi. I blame bad coding.

I still have the Satori source code somewhere - I really ought to port it to Linux but there is a lot of GUI stuff that would need rewriting.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

ghans

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:43 am

Did you try Xournal (sudo apt-get install xournal) ? I've used it on my Desktop machine in the past and i guess it might be what you're looking for.
And i don't think that GPU acceleration is really necessary for this task.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

boudewijnrempt

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:49 am

jamesh wrote:Paint packages like GIMP cannot really take advantage of the sort of acceleration a GPU provides. The pixel level operations that GIMP needs just don't have analogs in the GPUs domain.

I used to work on a paint package called Satori (on Windows) - we got pretty good performance from machines in the late '90's so < Raspi level CPU speed. So it should be perfectly possible to get decent performance on the Raspi. I blame bad coding.

I still have the Satori source code somewhere - I really ought to port it to Linux but there is a lot of GUI stuff that would need rewriting.
Well, Krita uses the GPU for displaying the rendered image. We've been thinking of ways to use it for producing the rendered image or for painting, but we haven't done any coding yet.

But by the way... Is the Satori code something you can release under an open source license? I'm pretty sure we could learn a lot from it! I remember reading about the Satori ages ago in, I think Computer Arts. It sounded really interesting, but that was years before I started working on Krita

jamesh

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:46 pm

boudewijnrempt wrote:
jamesh wrote:Paint packages like GIMP cannot really take advantage of the sort of acceleration a GPU provides. The pixel level operations that GIMP needs just don't have analogs in the GPUs domain.

Well, Krita uses the GPU for displaying the rendered image. We've been thinking of ways to use it for producing the rendered image or for painting, but we haven't done any coding yet.

But by the way... Is the Satori code something you can release under an open source license? I'm pretty sure we could learn a lot from it! I remember reading about the Satori ages ago in, I think Computer Arts. It sounded really interesting, but that was years before I started working on Krita
I'm not in a position to open source the Satori code, although I wrote half of it (it was a two man team!). I will ask the rights owners though as I still talk to them. It was developed by Spaceward Graphics who are sadly no longer in existence.

Note the the GPU does already do the composition of the frame buffer, and I now think there would be some benefit from using the GPU, especially when you have multiple layers in an image, as you could hand off the layer composition to the GPU. Would need some sneaky as the composition is done to the display not to memory.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

boudewijnrempt

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:34 pm

jamesh wrote:I'm not in a position to open source the Satori code, although I wrote half of it (it was a two man team!). I will ask the rights owners though as I still talk to them. It was developed by Spaceward Graphics who are sadly no longer in existence.
Thanks! It would be really interesting!
jamesh wrote:Note the the GPU does already do the composition of the frame buffer, and I now think there would be some benefit from using the GPU, especially when you have multiple layers in an image, as you could hand off the layer composition to the GPU. Would need some sneaky as the composition is done to the display not to memory.
Yes, indeed -- there are all kinds of fun complications, especially if there are also procedural layers, like filter layers.

RichShumaker

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:34 pm

Thanks everyone.
I was hoping to task the CPU with the controls and the GPU with the drawing.
Maybe when Wayland come into play it will allow things to move faster with these types of programs.

I will be trying all the suggestions and reporting back.
Rich Shumaker

lcww1

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:11 am

Just to say that I've managed to get a Wacom Bamboo usb tablet working with TuxPaint on the Pi - this sounds like the kind of thing you were interested in doing, and although in no sense GPU accelerated,this setup works really nicely, and I've found it really useful for younger children. Others have also managed to get other Wacom tablets working!
See the thread on the Ras Pi forums here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... om#p634845

geshou

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:31 am

gpu's are better for rendering 2D games as well and with the right abstractions (eg. SDL) your code can look pretty much the same whether you render on the CPU or GPU. If you're rendering on the GPU, you can also take advantage of shaders for cool effects even in 2D.

drawing programs such as photoshop , krita , gimp , artrage , corel painter ,you can have a try with them .

I'm an amateur digital artist, I mostly use Kritta and Gimp , I have a XP-Pen Deco Pro Digital Drawing tablet to use with it after configuring the pressure curve correctly, it does the job! (I'm using it on Windows & Linux) .

Gavinmc42

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:57 am

Krita uses SVG, is there a SVG to OpenVG drawing engine?
Not sure if that will work on a Pi4.

I was going to install Inkscape, Krita might be better.

There is a vector edit version of Lazpaint that is now branch.
https://github.com/bgrabitmap/lazpaint
Lazpaint will export for Krita.

Could this be accelerated, the source is there.
FPC does OpenGL/ES on Pi4's, use that in 2D mode with Z = 0 ?
Might make an interesting base for a GUI editor.

Is there a Wayland OS on Pi4's yet?
Never tried a drawing tablet on Linux or Pi's, time to find one of my old ones.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”