G4GUO

Audio and MMAL

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:18 pm

I have been looking at the the MMAL API and I notice that it does not support audio objects.
I assume therefore that for any audio I want to encode I will have to use the main ARM
processor rather than the GPU?

- Charles

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Audio and MMAL

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:26 pm

G4GUO wrote:I have been looking at the the MMAL API and I notice that it does not support audio objects.
I assume therefore that for any audio I want to encode I will have to use the main ARM
processor rather than the GPU?

- Charles
That's correct. Rather unbelievably, the cost of the codecs licences on the GPU for the audio was too high - higher even than the much more complicated video encoders.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

G4GUO

Re: Audio and MMAL

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:48 pm

jamesh wrote: That's correct. Rather unbelievably, the cost of the codecs licences on the GPU for the audio was too high - higher even than the much more complicated video encoders.
Thanks, I could see from the header that various audio encoders could be supported by the GPU and I was wondering why
they were not, now I know! It would be nice to have the option to pay for a GPU audio codec but I guess the demand is not
great enough to make it worthwhile.

- Charles

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”