Azizar
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:05 pm

Learn Opengl? I'm happy i got pi-presents running ;) I found some links concerning image resizing and python, like http://united-coders.com/christian-harm ... ould-know/ but i guess there are limitations to the computing speed of the raspberry. For now i think resizing shouldn't be too difficult for the users :P Viva Liveshow!

fyrebyte
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:36 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:07 pm

Ken,

I am trying to use your program on Raspbian, but I cannot get the screen blanking disabled. Can you tell me what your settings are for screen-saver timeouts, etc?

BTW, this is a GREAT tool. +1 :)

Brad

Azizar
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:28 pm

Just use the -b parameter.

Code: Select all

python /home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py -p pp_mediashow -b
Make sure

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install x11-xserver-utils
is installed.

Thijs

ktemplin
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:46 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:53 pm

Does anyone have a youtube video to see this live in action? Still a little confused what pipresents actually does

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:31 am

ktemplin wrote:Does anyone have a youtube video to see this live in action? Still a little confused what pipresents actually does
It's difficult to make a short video as Pi Presents does so many different things.

Best to download the program and try the 5 or 6 working examples to see if it fits your requirements.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

fyrebyte
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:36 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:15 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I needed to RTFM, huh! :)

One more question, I cannot figure out how to get LXDE to execute the app undecorated automatically. I have editted the rc.xml & lsde-rc.xml files to add <application> entries, but to no avail, the title bar wont go away.

As a test, I editted the .xml files to include an entry for lxterminal and I am able to undecorate it in this way. My gut tells me its the name="..." definition in the <application> tag that is getting me. Since the app is a script running through python, knowing the name of the app is difficult...

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:47 pm

I'm afraid it's RTFM time again ;)

The decorations are disabled only when the fullscreen option is selected e.g.' -f bottom' where bottom is the position of the taskbar. Read the manual for other things you need to do to get complete fullscreen.

The -f option works by changing the name of pipresents to fspipresents, see line 142 of pipresents.py

Another way to remove decorations is to use the menu in the top left corner of the pipresents window.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

fyrebyte
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:36 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:54 pm

Good to know. I was already using the -f bottom option, but wasnt sure about the name. I did however, gett it fixed. I used an awesome app called Obapps that edits the lxde-rc.xml file & has a Find function to choose open apps & get them added to the file.

To install it, you need to do this:
1. download Obapps from http://sourceforge.net/projects/obapps/ and execute these commands (at this time it was v 0.1.7):
a. tar xzf obapps-0.1.7.tar.gz
b. cd obapps-0.1.7/
c. sudo python setup.py install
2. Install Python-Xlib | command = sudo apt-get install python-xlib
3. Install wxPython | command = sud apt-get install python-wxgtk2.8

After I rebooted and launched the obapps program, I was able to add the running pipresents into the ldxerc.xml and the entry looks like this:
<application class="Fspipresents" name="fspipresents" type="normal">
<fullscreen>yes</fullscreen>
<focus>yes</focus>
<decor>no</decor>
<maximized>yes</maximized>
<layer>above</layer>
</application>

aww
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:51 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:19 pm

I've just started experimenting with Pi Presents and I like what I see, especially the Liveshow capability. However, I cannot get the audio to play with video files in a Liveshow. I've tried the example Suits-short.mkv file and a .mp4 file, and when included in a Liveshow, the clip plays the video without audio. Both files play fine (video and audio) with omxplayer and when in a regular Mediashow. I've got the model B board. Anyone else have this issue?

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:14 pm

aww wrote:I've just started experimenting with Pi Presents and I like what I see, especially the Liveshow capability. However, I cannot get the audio to play with video files in a Liveshow. I've tried the example Suits-short.mkv file and a .mp4 file, and when included in a Liveshow, the clip plays the video without audio. Both files play fine (video and audio) with omxplayer and when in a regular Mediashow. I've got the model B board. Anyone else have this issue?
The only difference I can think of is that mediashow has subtitles turned on (omx other options set to -t 1) whereas in liveshow they are set to off. Would be interested to know if changing the sub-titles makes any difference.

I had problems with no sub-titles(not sound) until I increased the RAM size to 128MB. I have also had problems with other videos having no sound until I used 128MB.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

aww
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:51 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:56 pm

KenT wrote:
aww wrote:I've just started experimenting with Pi Presents and I like what I see, especially the Liveshow capability. However, I cannot get the audio to play with video files in a Liveshow. I've tried the example Suits-short.mkv file and a .mp4 file, and when included in a Liveshow, the clip plays the video without audio. Both files play fine (video and audio) with omxplayer and when in a regular Mediashow. I've got the model B board. Anyone else have this issue?
The only difference I can think of is that mediashow has subtitles turned on (omx other options set to -t 1) whereas in liveshow they are set to off. Would be interested to know if changing the sub-titles makes any difference.

I had problems with no sub-titles(not sound) until I increased the RAM size to 128MB. I have also had problems with other videos having no sound until I used 128MB.
Thanks Ken, I'll try the subtitles setting tomorrow. I'll try installing on a fresh Raspian image if that doesn't work - I monkeyed around a bit on my current system before installing Pi Presents.

-Andy

aww
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:51 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:34 pm

aww wrote:
KenT wrote:
aww wrote:I've just started experimenting with Pi Presents and I like what I see, especially the Liveshow capability. However, I cannot get the audio to play with video files in a Liveshow. I've tried the example Suits-short.mkv file and a .mp4 file, and when included in a Liveshow, the clip plays the video without audio. Both files play fine (video and audio) with omxplayer and when in a regular Mediashow. I've got the model B board. Anyone else have this issue?
The only difference I can think of is that mediashow has subtitles turned on (omx other options set to -t 1) whereas in liveshow they are set to off. Would be interested to know if changing the sub-titles makes any difference.

I had problems with no sub-titles(not sound) until I increased the RAM size to 128MB. I have also had problems with other videos having no sound until I used 128MB.
Thanks Ken, I'll try the subtitles setting tomorrow. I'll try installing on a fresh Raspian image if that doesn't work - I monkeyed around a bit on my current system before installing Pi Presents.

-Andy
Setting omx-other-options to "-t 1" in the pp_showlist.json for the liveshow had no effect - still no audio for the liveshow.

I just did a fresh install of the current Wheezy image, installed Pi Presents and its example files. I copied the Suits-short.mkv file from /home/pi/pp_home/media into the /home/pi/pp_home/pp_live_tracks directory. Running the mediashow example plays the clip fine; running the liveshow example plays the clip with no audio. ???

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:27 pm

aww wrote:
KenT wrote:
aww wrote:I've just started experimenting with Pi Presents and I like what I see, especially the Liveshow capability. However, I cannot get the audio to play with video files in a Liveshow. I've tried the example Suits-short.mkv file and a .mp4 file, and when included in a Liveshow, the clip plays the video without audio. Both files play fine (video and audio) with omxplayer and when in a regular Mediashow. I've got the model B board. Anyone else have this issue?
The only difference I can think of is that mediashow has subtitles turned on (omx other options set to -t 1) whereas in liveshow they are set to off. Would be interested to know if changing the sub-titles makes any difference.

I had problems with no sub-titles(not sound) until I increased the RAM size to 128MB. I have also had problems with other videos having no sound until I used 128MB.
Setting omx-other-options to "-t 1" in the pp_showlist.json for the liveshow had no effect - still no audio for the liveshow.

I just did a fresh install of the current Wheezy image, installed Pi Presents and its example files. I copied the Suits-short.mkv file from /home/pi/pp_home/media into the /home/pi/pp_home/pp_live_tracks directory. Running the mediashow example plays the clip fine; running the liveshow example plays the clip with no audio. ???
Andy
Just tried it and I think I might have found the problem. In the mediashow example the audio output omx-audio is set to hdmi and in liveshow it is set to local (3.5mm jack output). Sorry, not very clever on my part, and I will change it in the next issue to hdmi for all the examples :(

If that fails to solve the problem then use the -d option in the command line. The trace on the terminal or in pp_log.log will show the command that is sent by Pi Presents to omxplayer.

Ken
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

aww
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:51 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:05 pm

KenT wrote: Andy
Just tried it and I think I might have found the problem. In the mediashow example the audio output omx-audio is set to hdmi and in liveshow it is set to local (3.5mm jack output). Sorry, not very clever on my part, and I will change it in the next issue to hdmi for all the examples :(

If that fails to solve the problem then use the -d option in the command line. The trace on the terminal or in pp_log.log will show the command that is sent by Pi Presents to omxplayer.

Ken
Bingo! Thanks for your help, Ken. I look forward to exploring what looks to be a very promising tool.

Regards,
-Andy

WedgeVLP
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:46 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi Ken;

First: kudos for writing and developing an interesting bit of software. I'm hoping you can assist me with some logistics or ideas: I'm a sound engineer designing a production of that Scottish Play for a local university. The scenic/graphics designers want to incorporate 3 big-screen LCD displays into the set and have slides change on cue.

I went ahead and bought 3 RPis with the intention of strapping one to the back of each screen, and using either XBMC or Pi Presents to step through a slideshow on each individual computer. I saw your implementation of the GPIO for mechanical Advance/Back switches, and that seems relatively straightforward.

Here's where it gets interesting.

I'm using a program called "Show Cue Systems" as my sound playback software, and it can issue MIDI, Serial (RS232) and Telnet commands in addition to playing back my audio cues. It would be nice to be able to synchronize the audio cues with the slide changes (think of the sound of a punch sync'd with the appearance of a "KAPOWW!!" comic-book graphic.) Is there any way to get the 3 different RPis on stage to respond to Telnet or RS232 commands to advance a slide? And if so, is there a clever way to address each unit individually, as well as as a group?

I'm new to the Raspberry world, but not new to systems integration. My hope is to get all 4 computers (my main audio PC and the 3 Raspberry Pis) on the same network router (a basic Linksys WRT54G. Wireless would also work, but I'd rather be hardwired for mission-critical stuff), and be able to have the audio PC issue commands to the 3 screens. Ideally, I'd like the 3 Pis to operate as "black-boxes", as the screens will always be in full view of the audience and will be inaccessible during the show.

Your thoughts would be appreciated...as well as anyone else's clever ideas. Thanks for advancing the art...you've got a nice project going here!

Azizar
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:43 am

Dear Kent

I have been using pi presents for a while now and, for me, it works very well. So as far as stability testing goes, I have run it (live-show) continuously for a while now and it still runs like clockwork :D

For a specific use i have a question: Is is possible to do a live-show from two different ''locations''? I mean, if I put movies on the sdcard and other people (visitors) put their usb flash drive with pictures in the pi, could Pi Presents automatically ''make'' a live-show from 2 locations using the movies and their own images?

I would be awesome if pi presents could do that!

Best Regards
Thijs

Azizar
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:45 pm

Dear Ken

I experimented with a partial solution. I made a liveshow (for images) 'in' a media-show (with videos) using your editor. Is it possible to stop the live-show from looping so that the whole show (normal + liveshow) repeats?

Best regards
Thijs

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:38 pm

Azizar wrote:Dear Kent

I have been using pi presents for a while now and, for me, it works very well. So as far as stability testing goes, I have run it (live-show) continuously for a while now and it still runs like clockwork :D

For a specific use i have a question: Is is possible to do a live-show from two different ''locations''? I mean, if I put movies on the sdcard and other people (visitors) put their usb flash drive with pictures in the pi, could Pi Presents automatically ''make'' a live-show from 2 locations using the movies and their own images?

I would be awesome if pi presents could do that!

Best Regards
Thijs
Glad liveshow is behaving itself.

You cannot make a liveshow from two locations but it looks like an easy one to implement so I'll add it in the next issue.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:39 pm

Azizar wrote:Dear Ken

I experimented with a partial solution. I made a liveshow (for images) 'in' a media-show (with videos) using your editor. Is it possible to stop the live-show from looping so that the whole show (normal + liveshow) repeats?

Best regards
Thijs
No you cannot do this and its not an easy one to add.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Azizar
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:08 pm

Dear Kent

I'll wait for the a new version with the ''combined live-show'' feature then. Thanks for the response :D

Thijs

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:44 pm

[quote="WedgeVLP"]Hi Ken;

>>> First: kudos for writing and developing an interesting bit of software. I'm hoping you can assist me with some logistics or ideas: I'm a sound engineer designing a production of that Scottish Play for a local university. The scenic/graphics designers want to incorporate 3 big-screen LCD displays into the set and have slides change on cue.

The critical item will be how tightly you want to synchronise the images with the cues. It takes a second or so to load and display an image. I quickly put together the initial version of Pi Presents using the Python Imaging Library and haven't got round to seeing if I can improve the image loading speed or looked at some sort of pre-loading the image and then switching screen buffers on cue. Punches synchronised with sound might be too difficult.


>>> I'm using a program called "Show Cue Systems" as my sound playback software, and it can issue MIDI, Serial (RS232) and Telnet commands in addition to playing back my audio cues. It would be nice to be able to synchronize the audio cues with the slide changes (think of the sound of a punch sync'd with the appearance of a "KAPOWW!!" comic-book graphic.) Is there any way to get the 3 different RPis on stage to respond to Telnet or RS232 commands to advance a slide? And if so, is there a clever way to address each unit individually, as well as as a group?

Depends on which way you go, RS232 would be separate point to point links, I assume Telnet (SSH better) is over Ethernet, I imagine, so I would look at giving each Pi a different static IP address. You can then rewrite buttons.py to accept commands from the link and turn them into pseudo button presses.

Can you guarantee you will run the same sequence every night, if not you may need a different sort of program that addresses each track individually. If you can be certain that the sequence of pictures you want will not need to change during a performance (dangerous assumption!) then just set up a mediashow with manual progress and use the Next button to trigger each slide. Either re-write buttons.py or use a PIC or Arundio to interpret the RS232 commands and press the buttons (output to ground). Alternatively just use three push buttons and some long bits of wire and sync manually, you probably should stick a 10nF capacitor across the input to cut out RF noise.

It might be worth looking at something like Screenly OSE on the forums which is designed for remote control.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:18 am

Version 1.1.2 is now on Github https://github.com/KenT2/pipresents

One new feature, liveshow tracks are now taken from two directories.

Otherwise it is a maintenance release to correct deficiencies in the framework, particularly the use of up, down, escape, and return keys and associated buttons in complex shows.

There has been a small correction to Pi Presents examples so that audio default to hdmi for all shows. No need to update this.

Enjoy

Pi Presents has a number of uses in museums, exhibitions, street signs, liraries, visitor centres, schools, particularly small concerns that do not have a computer network or IT staff. At the moment it provides a good selection of basic features - mediashows, menus, PIR triggered sounds and videos, and a powerpoint like presentation viewer. It displays videos, audio tracks, images and text messages. It can be configured to start up automatically when power is applied to the Pi, play full-screen with blanking disabled, be controlled by buttons or PIR from the GPIO or run continuously, and shut down the Pi on the press of a button. Shows prepared using the editor can live on the SD card, a USB stick, or be ftp'ed from another computer. Shows are prepared on a gui editor which will run on a Windows PC in addition to Linux.

There are potentially many applications of Pi Presents and your input on real world experiences and requirements would be invaluable to me, both minor tweaks to the existing functionality and major improvements.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com


Azizar
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:09 pm

Dear Ken,

The Live-show from 2 locations works great, there is only one issue: Pi Presents plays the files in the live-show in alphabetic order, but does not play them in alphabetic order when playing from 2 locations. For example: If i have file A C F in location 1, and B and D in location 2, it plays them in this order: ACFBD. Can this be remedied?

Regards

Thijs

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:11 am

Azizar wrote:Dear Ken,

The Live-show from 2 locations works great, there is only one issue: Pi Presents plays the files in the live-show in alphabetic order, but does not play them in alphabetic order when playing from 2 locations. For example: If i have file A C F in location 1, and B and D in location 2, it plays them in this order: ACFBD. Can this be remedied?

Regards

Thijs
Bug, will fix. I was sorting on the complete path not the basename. Thanks for finding it

Ken
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”