dpguest
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:17 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:56 pm

After I finally understood the difference between the desktop terminal and a window terminal, I got everything installed and working.

It is a remarkable package and my hat is off to you for developing it and putting it in the public domain.

I work at a non profit hospital. I intend to show the executives this remarkable package running on a raspberry pi.... We have many TV sets throughout the hospital waiting areas. For very little money, they could be turned into educational tv.s instead of soap operas. Our patients and visitors could learn about medicine, good health practices and the hospital and its services. I also see an interactive, where are you and how do you get there, kiosk ... in that our hospital campus is quite large.

What a wonderful product. Thank you, thank you, thank you...

David Guest
dpguest@aol.com

stingenz
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:59 am

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:18 am

******************************
by KenT » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:36 pm
Azizar wrote:
And a second question, if i may be so bold.... Is there a way to put the profile with the media-files on a USB flash-drive? How can i ''play'' this profile?


Copy pp_home and all its contents (which should include all the media) to the top level of the USB flash drive.

Use the following command python pipresents.py -o /media/USBSTICKNAME -p profile_name

Its described in more detail in section 5.3 of the manual.

**********************
So, I can't for the life of me actually get this to work!?!?!?!
I've tried lots of different variations of the line of code, but I just can't seem to get it going

python pipresents.py -o /media/SD/ -p Demo

python /home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py -o /media/SD/pp_profiles -p Demo

python /home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py -o /media/SD/pp_profiles/ -p Demo

python /home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py -o /media/SD/pp_profiles/Demo -p Demo

python /home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py -o /media/SD/pp_profiles -p Demo

python -o /media/SD/pipresents/pipresents.py -p Demo

python -o /media/SD/pipresents/pipresents.py -o /media/SD-p Demo

..... You get the idea. What on earth have I missed???

Thanks in advance.

Mat

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:10 am

stingenz wrote:******************************
by KenT » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:36 pm
Azizar wrote:
And a second question, if i may be so bold.... Is there a way to put the profile with the media-files on a USB flash-drive? How can i ''play'' this profile?


Copy pp_home and all its contents (which should include all the media) to the top level of the USB flash drive.

Use the following command python pipresents.py -o /media/USBSTICKNAME -p profile_name

Its described in more detail in section 5.3 of the manual.

**********************
So, I can't for the life of me actually get this to work!?!?!?!
I've tried lots of different variations of the line of code, but I just can't seem to get it going

python pipresents.py -o /media/SD/ -p Demo

python /home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py -o /media/SD/pp_profiles -p Demo

python /home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py -o /media/SD/pp_profiles/ -p Demo

python /home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py -o /media/SD/pp_profiles/Demo -p Demo

python /home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py -o /media/SD/pp_profiles -p Demo

python -o /media/SD/pipresents/pipresents.py -p Demo

python -o /media/SD/pipresents/pipresents.py -o /media/SD-p Demo

..... You get the idea. What on earth have I missed???

Thanks in advance.

Mat
These two, which are the two combinations you missed, should work: ;)
  • From a terminal window open in the /home/pipresents directory:

Code: Select all

python pipresents.py -o /media/SD -p Demo
  • From a terminal window open anywhere:

Code: Select all

python /home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py -o /media/SD -p Demo
If they fail check file and directory names - unix is case sensitive unlike windows.

Got to the root directory of the Pi (which is not your home directory) and check
  • The directory /media/SD/pp_home/pp_profiles/Demo exists
    The file /media/SD/pp_home/pp_profiles/Demo/pp_showlist.json exists
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

stingenz
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:59 am

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:49 pm

Ahhhh . . . *dumbass*

pp_home!!!!!!!

grrrrrr

But many thanks for sorting that out!
The other thing that I noticed, if I set the 'initial directory for media' as my USB, it won't actually play it.
This is the code that is the in media.json:

"location": "F:\\media\\Davey8.JPG",

But if I add the media afterwards, it seems to be alright

"location": "+/media/Bird, the freedom of sound - .mp4",

Or is this something else I overlooked?

Mat

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:13 pm

stingenz wrote:Ahhhh . . . *dumbass*

pp_home!!!!!!!

grrrrrr

But many thanks for sorting that out!
The other thing that I noticed, if I set the 'initial directory for media' as my USB, it won't actually play it.
This is the code that is the in media.json:

"location": "F:\\media\\Davey8.JPG",

But if I add the media afterwards, it seems to be alright

"location": "+/media/Bird, the freedom of sound - .mp4",

Or is this something else I overlooked?

Mat
I assume you are using the editor on the Pi and are trying to edit a profile on the usb stick.

The 'initial directory for media' is just the place where the file browser opens when you click 'add file' or 'add Dir'

The important option for the editor is the 'Pi Presents Home Directory'

if you are using a USB Stick then (assuming your previous post) the option should be set to:

Code: Select all

/media/SD/pp_home
Al your media should be stored somewhere in /media/SD/pp_home or a sub-directory of it. The directory media/SD/pp_home should have the directory pp_profiles created in it, you will need to do this manually.

The manual is not very clear in this area, I will improve it for the next version.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

stingenz
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:59 am

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:59 am

Ahhh, thanks for that! I did really struggle with the instructions, but I pretty sure I've got everything sorted now. Thanks for all your support etc!

Loving the results!

Mat

BrianG
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:18 pm

I have PiPresents working on our large Sony screen in the lobby of our science museum...I mean to say, it works but I have only a couple of slides to show. Is anyone aware of a good quality video about the Pi that I could use? Something like the example that comes with PiPresents :lol:

We're going to offer a summer camp on the Pi and I want to start building interest in it as folks come in.

Brian Grawburg
Imagination Station Science & History Museum
Wilson, NC

Radioactivedog
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:00 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:16 am

I have a problem with the display. It may be a HDMI mode problem but I'm not sure. I can play the media example. I get the welcome screen and HD video plays fine. When it get to the photo the images is shifted up off screen. Any ideas for setting group and mode in config.txt or are the resolution setting elsewhere in the Pi system? Thanks.

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:25 am

Radioactivedog wrote:I have a problem with the display. It may be a HDMI mode problem but I'm not sure. I can play the media example. I get the welcome screen and HD video plays fine. When it get to the photo the images is shifted up off screen. Any ideas for setting group and mode in config.txt or are the resolution setting elsewhere in the Pi system? Thanks.
It could be overscan problems but you would have noticed that because the desktop would have disappeared off the edges of the screen. Overscan adjustment if you need it:

http://elinux.org/RPiconfig

More likely the pixel dimensions of your image are too large. Pi Presents does not scale images, you need to scale them to the screen size using some other program.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

dpguest
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:17 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:31 pm

[quote="BrianG"]I have PiPresents working on our large Sony screen in the lobby of our science museum...I mean to say, it works but I have only a couple of slides to show. Is anyone aware of a good quality video about the Pi that I could use? Something like the example that comes with PiPresents :lol:

Go to YouTube and search for Raspberry PI ... select the one you like best, copy its link and paste the link into Saveit.com. It will download the video for you. Then convert it to an MKV format and include it in your mediashow....

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:08 pm

I have just uploaded a beta test version of a major upgrade to Pi Presents.

See this thread http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 38&t=39985

Please keep any discussion in the appropriate thread or else I will get totally confused.

Enjoy
Ken
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

User avatar
richiepp
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:56 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:36 am

I'm getting this same error on a fresh install. What should I do? Note I don't have it hooked up to a monitor, does that matter at this point in the process?

Thanks
Rich

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:00 am

richiepp wrote:I'm getting this same error on a fresh install. What should I do? Note I don't have it hooked up to a monitor, does that matter at this point in the process?

Thanks
Rich
I don't think the Raspberry Pi adjusts itself for the monitor so that is unlikely to be the problem. Most likely cause and fix is as in my previous answer. I use Faststone Photo Resizer on Windows to re-size but there are plenty of other programs to do the job. Perhaps someone can suggest one that will work on the Raspberry Pi.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

dpguest
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:17 pm

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:52 am

Gimp for the raspberry pi makes it easy to resize images ...

mblenton
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 4:20 am

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Wed May 08, 2013 4:24 am

I need to change volume through gpio is there a chance to get tips how to implement that

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Wed May 08, 2013 7:04 am

mblenton wrote:I need to change volume through gpio is there a chance to get tips how to implement that
In the beta of version 1.2 you can set the initial volume of a track but otherwise no way to do it at the moment without additional coding. What exactly do you want to do? I am thinking of some extensions to Pi Presents at the moment and doing this could fit in with current plans.

Ken
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Tumerboy
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 4:44 am

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:50 am

Hi all, I just found PiPresents, and have been messing around with it a bit.
I'm attempting to make a photo slideshow. I used the editor to make a clone of the "liveshow" profile.
I renamed things to my slideshow, and added a directory full of photos, but when I go to run it (sudo python /home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py -p Slideshow), the window pops up with "Nothing to Play."

I assume that means it can't find my media or something, but I'm not sure how, as the media is referenced within the profile I cloned, and all of the photos show up when I re-open the profile in the editor.

Any ideas? I may be missing something obvious. . .

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Ok so I got an image to show. After re-reading the manual, I saw somewhere in there that liveshows also want a -l argument to point to alternate media directories. Though I'm not sure why this is necessary, as the json file specifies the directory of every image?

However, it does display the first image in the list, but does not cycle through any more. Both the liveshow "Show" and each image are set to a duration of '2' not sure what makes it stick on that first image? I've tried hitting enter, space (does pop up "paused"), the arrow keys, etc, but can't get any other images to show.

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:01 am

Tumerboy wrote:Hi all, I just found PiPresents, and have been messing around with it a bit.
I'm attempting to make a photo slideshow. I used the editor to make a clone of the "liveshow" profile.
I renamed things to my slideshow, and added a directory full of photos, but when I go to run it (sudo python /home/pi/pipresents/pipresents.py -p Slideshow), the window pops up with "Nothing to Play."

I assume that means it can't find my media or something, but I'm not sure how, as the media is referenced within the profile I cloned, and all of the photos show up when I re-open the profile in the editor.

Any ideas? I may be missing something obvious. . .

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Ok so I got an image to show. After re-reading the manual, I saw somewhere in there that liveshows also want a -l argument to point to alternate media directories. Though I'm not sure why this is necessary, as the json file specifies the directory of every image?

However, it does display the first image in the list, but does not cycle through any more. Both the liveshow "Show" and each image are set to a duration of '2' not sure what makes it stick on that first image? I've tried hitting enter, space (does pop up "paused"), the arrow keys, etc, but can't get any other images to show.
Liveshow is not the right thing to use.

The best thing to use is a mediashow set to oneshot with a trigger of PIR. The exhibit profile does this as does the pp_exhibit example.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Tumerboy
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 4:44 am

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks, I'll try that instead.

Tumerboy
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 4:44 am

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:02 am

Ok, I've tried cloning the exhibit profile, and I can traverse through images by button press, but the slideshow won't go on it's own. I've set the show to "start" and "auto" progression. . . ?

Also, is there a way to import a directory of files as tracks, and have them come in in any kind of order? I have a folder of numbered photos, but they seem to come in random order.

Thanks again for the help.

Tumerboy
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 4:44 am

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:19 pm

Ok, I seem to have gotten it working. Using the Exhibit template, I have photo slideshow, as a single show/medialist, that goes through 40 something photos.

Setting each photo to a duration of 3 works great, cycles through each image, and loops back to the start.

Setting a photo to a duration of 2, pauses on that photo indefinitely. . . ?

Thanks for the help though, I do have a functional slideshow, swapping every 3 seconds.

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:51 am

Tumerboy wrote:Ok, I seem to have gotten it working. Using the Exhibit template, I have photo slideshow, as a single show/medialist, that goes through 40 something photos.

Setting each photo to a duration of 3 works great, cycles through each image, and loops back to the start.

Setting a photo to a duration of 2, pauses on that photo indefinitely. . . ?

Thanks for the help though, I do have a functional slideshow, swapping every 3 seconds.
Glad you have got it working. The 2 second problem is a bug. Even without the bug there would be a minimum display time of 2 seconds. Imageplayer will be getting a rewrite sometime soon in the next version (pipresents-next on github)

The only way to sort files is by using the up and down buttons. Adding a directory in name sorted order seems a good idea and I will add it to my to do list.

if you Follow pipresents.wordpress.com you will get an email telling you when these things have been done.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Tumerboy
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 4:44 am

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:00 pm

Cool thanks!

I did sort out my photos, but with 50 of them, it took a while doing up/down.

The photo slideshow is working well, thanks for the help.

My next project is to have a single video that starts paused, and upon button press, will play once, and then go back to the start, paused again.

I've got an exhibit clone with two tracks. One is a message saying "press play" and the other is the video.
The show is set to wait for a button at the start, and then auto through the tracks, and loop. This works well, as when I run the script, it waits for a button press, then plays through the tracks, and pauses again, waiting for another button press. However, it waits at a blank screen. Is there some way to say "wait on that first message" instead of "wait at a blank screen"? Or is there a way to assign a message/image to what is currently blank?

The only other thing I couldn't get working is removing the top bar of the window. I followed along with 5.6 in the manual, my taskbar is hidden. Adding the <application> line in lxde-rc.xml didn't seem to do anything through. Should that whole block be indented once? or not? I'll take another stab at it this evening.

Thanks again for all the help.
-Nick

KenT
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:02 pm

Tumerboy wrote:Cool thanks!

I've got an exhibit clone with two tracks. One is a message saying "press play" and the other is the video.
The show is set to wait for a button at the start, and then auto through the tracks, and loop. This works well, as when I run the script, it waits for a button press, then plays through the tracks, and pauses again, waiting for another button press. However, it waits at a blank screen. Is there some way to say "wait on that first message" instead of "wait at a blank screen"? Or is there a way to assign a message/image to what is currently blank?

The only other thing I couldn't get working is removing the top bar of the window. I followed along with 5.6 in the manual, my taskbar is hidden. Adding the <application> line in lxde-rc.xml didn't seem to do anything through. Should that whole block be indented once? or not? I'll take another stab at it this evening.

-Nick
For removing the top bar, did you add the -f <arg> option to the command line. I don't think indentation matters in xml

To get a message when waiting change ''button' to 'PIR' and change the wiring appropriately.

You will need to edit pipresents/pp_home/resources.cfg changing [mediashow] message m02 from blank to what you want. Leafpad can be used as its a text file

Alternatively keep 'button' and edit line 257 of pp_mediashow.py. (Another change for my todo list - add a message to resources.cfg for button triggers.)
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Tumerboy
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 4:44 am

Re: Pi Presents: A display package for museums & visitor cen

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:11 pm

Thanks! I'll try it out tonight.

And yes, I'm using '-f bottom' when I run the script.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”