rbn

Sonic Pi 3.1 on Raspbian Buster is NOT complete.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:20 pm

I see that a version of Sonic Pi entitled version 3.1 has been added to Raspbian Buster.
Unfortunately this is NOT the same as Raspbian 3.1 on other release platforms eg MacOS, Windows.(or built from source on linux or Raspberry Pi).
This is because it does not contain some vital elements, namely the two osmid binaries m2o and o2m and the Erlang Support.
These are all needed to support the use of Midi and OSC messaging in Sonic Pi 3.1, the major advance which was added to this release.

You can see that they are missing by inspecting the logs in

Code: Select all

~/.sonic/pi/log
and looking at the osmid_m2o.log, the osmid_o2m.log and the erlang.log

Although the package will run, it will be confusing to those used to using Sonic Pi 3.1 on other platforms, as the midi and OSC facilities will not work. I think the version number should NOT be 3.1 as this is not Sonic Pi 3.1 as defined by the source code.

It is perfectly possible for these features to be added, and Indeed I run Sonic Pi 3.2dev (the latest source code) on both Pi4 and earlier Raspberry Pi on Rasbian Buster, although it will require some adjustment to fit a debian package.

It is good that some work has been done to update the version originally shipped with Buster. It is a shame that it denies users a whole range of facilities (which are documented in the help files) but which will not work on this version.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Sonic Pi 3.1 on Raspbian Buster is NOT complete.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:01 pm

You need to talk to Sam Arron, the Sonic Pi author. He is responsible for what goes in and out of Sonic Pi. The build process is quite unpleasant, which is why we don't do it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

rbn

Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:43 pm

That is not the point
What I don't think is a good idea is to publish a version which can cause confusion, as it is a partial Sonic Pi 3.1, and does not include the features of that release. It contains (in the help file features which do NOT work and so should not be published as such.

I am perfectly happy to build SP myself from source. Most users can't do this.
Sam is responsible for what goes in and out of Sonic Pi, and the build is difficult because it involves several different sections coming together.

However, Sam has not been responsible for the current 3.1 version in Buster and was not consulted about it.
In his present circumstances he does not have the resources to develop a new .deb being only partially supported by Patreon supporters, and by his lecturing on Sonic Pi.

This version is to be welcomed as an interim which will suit the needs of those starting out with Sonic Pi on Buster, but it should not be confused with a "full" 3.1 version (which is itself a bit out of date: 3.2dev corrects several bugs and introduces new features, and some restructuring).

Over half the output I produce with Sonic Pi involves using these missing features. eg. my Glockenspiel featured in The MagPi, and other projects involving producing light displays driven by Sonic Pi on a Pi, and Laser Time of Flight sensors driving a Theremin, and a touch sensitive keyboard connected to GPIO pins to mention a few depend on these missing features. and several projects driven by TouchOSC from a tablet. Sonic Pi does not just produce music. It is a powerful controller in its own right for many interesting projects interfacing with other hardware, both on the same Pi or by connecting Pis together (using OSC and midi) to produce for example orchestras of several Pi. (I have run 6 together each playing separate parts).

jamesh

Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:51 am

So, you are suggesting we remove it? Or what?
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

rbn

Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:27 pm

Not necessarily. However it needs to be differentiated as a cut down version.

There has already been one user running into problems because of this. See this thread on in-thread.sonic-pi.net to which I have added a comment https://in-thread.sonic-pi.net/t/akai-m ... di-io/2793

Perhaps you should discuss it with Sam Aaron directly, as I gather he was not consulted at all over the inclusion of this version.

scruss

Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:02 pm

rbn wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:27 pm
Perhaps you should discuss it with Sam Aaron directly, as I gather he was not consulted at all over the inclusion of this version.
It's open source, he doesn't need to be: https://github.com/samaaron/sonic-pi/bl ... LICENSE.md
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:07 pm

We just take whatever is available. As soon as there's a proper package in Debian or Ubuntu, we'll take it, but right now it seems like Sonic Pi doesn't officially support Linux unless you want to build it from source.

rbn

Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:59 pm

It's open source, he doesn't need to be: https://github.com/samaaron/sonic-pi/bl ... LICENSE.md
True you can develop and publish your own versions of open source material without getting the original author's permission, but it is is misleading to publish something with a reference number to an existing release which does not support the features of that release, as described in the help files incorporated in the application. It causes confusion to users who expect the software to perform as described.

jamesh

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:26 pm

rbn wrote:
True you can develop and publish your own versions of open source material without getting the original author's permission, but it is is misleading to publish something with a reference number to an existing release which does not support the features of that release, as described in the help files incorporated in the application. It causes confusion to users who expect the software to perform as described.
Not sure how we would document the difference, given there is not any real scheme for doing so. Any suggestions? Note that features often change when moving between platforms, so this isn't entirely unusual.

AIUI, the differences are all pretty obscure with regard to Raspberry Pi, MIDI and ERLANG are not really part of our target audience, which is more from an education point of view. So really from our point of view, this bump to 3.1 is more about bug fixes etc than new features (which may not even work on the Pi even if enabled as they will never have been tested). If anyone is willing to make the required changes, test and report back, that would be good. We won't be doing that, not enough resource.

scruss

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:38 pm

rbn wrote:
… but it is misleading to publish something with a reference number to an existing release which does not support the features of that release
What's shipped with Raspbian is a build of the 3.1.0 release, just without the optional erlang scheduler and Osmid components. These aren't documented in the Raspberry Pi installation instructions. Without docs or an upstream 3.1 Debian package, there's not much for the Raspbian devs to go on.

I think that this comment might be at the heart of the reason why Sam no longer supports Raspberry Pi.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

rbn

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:43 pm

Not sure how we would document the difference, given there is not any real scheme for doing so. Any suggestions? Note that features often change when moving between platforms, so this isn't entirely unusual.
It would be fairly easy to alter the splash screen which is a .png file to include information such as.
"This version does NOT support the midi or OSC features mentioned in the Tutorial and Language sections"
Or to change the message displayed at the top of each fresh buffer, with a similar message. (see line 431 of the runtime.rb file in the sonicpi lib.)
EDIT or better to alter the info.html file in <sonic-pi src>/app/gui/qt/html to new text like:

AIUI, the differences are all pretty obscure with regard to Raspberry Pi, MIDI and ERLANG are not really part of our target audience, which is more from an education point of view. So really from our point of view, this bump to 3.1 is more about bug fixes etc than new features (which may not even work on the Pi even if enabled as they will never have been tested). If anyone is willing to make the required changes, test and report back, that would be good. We won't be doing that, not enough resource.
As a retired teacher of physics, electronics and computing for 36 year I find the statement that the use of OSC and midi is not useful from an educational point of view an amazing statement to make. Having used Sonic Pi from version one, I have found every new feature added welcome, and the changes in version three to include midi and OSC functionality really opened up a huge range of possibilities. Sonic Pi works extremely well as an adjunct to many electronics projects involving GPIO connected devices, from simple burglar alarms, or touch operated home made keyboards, to communications projects involving passing data between different programs on the same Pi or between separate computers, or to cooperating in visual projects with processing or p5.js or musical bots. These are of considerable interest to secondary pupils studying for GCSE or A-level, and younger pupils as well.

Also I hardly think the differences are obscure when the facilities for using midi and OSC are fully documented in the built in Tutorial and the Language section of the help files built into Sonic Pi. To have them absent, makes this documentation incorrect.

I can appreciate your problems in building Sonic Pi as the source code has not been structured for easy packaging into a .deb, and I think it is great that you have managed to get something working for use on Buster. The build documentation (is not really up to date on main github distro at the top level, which doesn't help. There are several build-scripts files in the app/gui/qt folder for various flavours of linux which can be useful..

I spent some time with the current 3.1 install on Buster and managed to add the missing osmid and erlang stuff fairly easily this afternoon, with some tweaks to the paths stored in util.rb (in the sonicpi library). It works OK, although I have one remaining problem in installing the sys-proctable-1.1.3 gem which is missing from the vendor folder and which is needed for the code in task-register.rb to function. This file controls storing the pids of the various subprocesses for osmid and erlang so that they can be killed off when sonic pi quits. At present this is not working properly, although otherwise it all works fine with midi and OSC. Hopefully I can sort this out, because it works fine on my source build from scratch.

I hope that sooner or later a fully working 3.1 (and to cope 3.2) can be incorporated in Raspbian. Sonic Pi 3.2dev works extremely well on a Pi4 where all its facilities can be fully exploited.
Last edited by rbn on Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:49 am

Just to stress the point - we do not patch, build or package sonic pi. It has nothing to do with us. We take the best packaging that's available.

Running a build script is one thing. Creating a proper Debian package takes a lot more time and effort. This particular software takes a disproportionate amount of it.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”