FAGould

Bluetooth Headset not working on RPi4B

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:17 pm

I originally posted this issue a few days ago on the Arch Linux topic, link below, in this RPF forum and have had 83 views to this time but no replies.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0#p1531340

That issue has turned out to be the same for both ALARM and Raspbian. Below is a link to the bluetooth audio that skips and lags over bluetooth headset whether I have Wi-Fi on or disabled. These same headset work correctly on Apple Mac OSX. I could obviously pair and connect the headset with ALARM bluetooth raspberry pi from github but the audio always sounds like the recording at the link below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NuJAx ... wUGKsZqHHN

I have searched all old posts for RPi3B and Zero but none of their solutions work on RPi4B. In testing different values in code, there were no changes to the audio. I cannot find any information about the Bluetooth/Wi-Fi chips used by RPi4B, so I have no idea if the modules loaded are correct versus RPi3B.

Can someone help me with this problem?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Bluetooth Headset not working on RPi4B

Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Deleted post in ARC, because duplicates are not allowed here, next time ask a moderator to move your post.

Douglas6

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:34 pm

I have not heard of any complaints regarding audio streaming on the Pi4. I have not tried streaming from my Pi4, but I have tested streaming TO it, and it's been working fine. I doubt if it's due to a module mismatch.

You didn't mention much about your system. You're not using PulseAudio, are you? Bluetooth can be subject to environmental impact from other Bluetooth or Wi-Fi devices, etc. I would remove your Pi from any case it might be in, remove any fans or other attachments, and take the Pi on a picnic to the middle of a large, open field, away from power lines. See if that helps.

FAGould

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:11 pm

This site is so frustrating when told by a moderator to do something but there is no suggestions how to do that something. Where do I request a moderator move a reported issue?

Then the next person posts questions that my deleted post contained. I'm using pulseaudio, alarm-bluetooth-raspberrypi, and blueman. I am playing back an m4a file using vlc. I included my install instructions below and also on https://superuser.com/questions/1479002 ... headphones. I have disabled Wi-Fi and removed a UPS HAT to test if those caused the problem but nothing has worked or changed the audio from skipping and lagging. It always sounds the same no matter what I do.

Code: Select all

sudo pacman -S pulseaudio-alsa pulseaudio-bluetooth bluez-utils bluez-hid2hci bluez-libs bluez-plugins bluez-cups blueman
systemctl start bluetooth
systemctl enable bluetooth
bluetoothctl  # Just to test install, 'power on' -> No controller
cd /home/fgould/build
git clone https://github.com/RoEdAl/alarm-bluetooth-raspberrypi.git
cd alarm-bluetooth-raspberrypi/
nano PKGBUILD 	# change dependency to linux-raspberrypi4
makepkg -Asri
I believe the problem is in the alarm-bluetooth-raspberrypi code (below: bcmbt-overlay.dts) where it might be addressing a different driver than on the RPi3 models that this supposedly works. I was hoping someone in this forum could help guide me to the right chipset/driver.

Code: Select all

compatible = "brcm,bcm2708";
        fragment@0 {
                target-path = "uart0";
                __overlay__ {
                        bluetooth {
                                compatible = "brcm,bcm43438-bt";
                                max-speed = <2000000>; /* You can experiment with this */
                                /* Other elements omitted, pins may be different on different PI models */

Douglas6

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:25 pm

I'm afraid I have nothing to say regarding an Arch distro. I tend to stick with Raspbian, and I would not use PulseAudio, Blueman, or alarm-bluetooth-raspberrypi (whatever that does). The standard Raspbian comes with everything you need for Bluetooth streaming audio, and in my experience, it works quite well.

To move a post, you can report on it by clicking the flag icon, and ask a moderator to move it in the comments.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

gothaf

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:59 pm

I confirm that A2DP is practically unusable on my Pi4 also, running RaspbianXFCE. Audio stutters badly all the time and switching the wifi off does absolutely nothing.

FAGould

Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:21 pm

Thank you @Douglas6 and you are right about those apps that do not work. For others who may wish to use bluetooth headsets on Arch Linux ARM running on RPi4B, the link below contains my results that work. Any improvement suggestions or comments appreciated.

https://superuser.com/questions/1479002 ... th-headset

Once configured, the headset played a .wav file while I loaded Chromium and GIMP. Not a single peep, static, nor delay. Played great with high dynamic range and plenty of gain. I'd say RPi4B's audio is as good or better than apple macbookpro.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:54 am

FAGould wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:11 pm
This site is so frustrating when told by a moderator to do something but there is no suggestions how to do that something. Where do I request a moderator move a reported issue?
See that little flag icon right above the message?

Its to "flag" a moderator, for example to "flag" a spammer, or to request support, like moving a thread to another location.
Its in the Forum FAQ.

LTolledo

Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:25 am

Just tried a bluetooth headset configuration to check audio.... works fine

though my setup is

RPi4B ))) {bluetooth} ))) ----> Aukey BR-C1 [Bluetooth receiver] <---Sony Headphone [MDR-V6 plugged to BR-C1]

no dropped connection yet...
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”