sekiro
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:54 am

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:32 pm

@innocent_bystander, thanks for building updated 18.4 deb and sharing the building script.
innocent_bystander wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:29 pm
Wired Life wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:07 pm
Im using the original XBMC Skin Confluence, all others are bad 😅
@Wired Life if it's not too much trouble, could you see what you get with the default theme? For me it renders with no cursors and dialog boxen. Trying to see if itsa wide-spread problem or just me.
Same issue here. The default skin doesn't render correctly.
The cpu usage does get better compared to the 18.3 Debug build.

User avatar
innocent_bystander
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:40 pm

sekiro wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:32 pm
@innocent_bystander, thanks for building updated 18.4 deb and sharing the building script.

Same issue here. The default skin doesn't render correctly.
The cpu usage does get better compared to the 18.3 Debug build.

@sekiro thanks for checking. I gotta remember what I did for 18.3 to make it work... :(
The motto of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is "Share and Enjoy."

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

P09
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:25 am

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:16 pm

CPU was around 33% with 18.3 debug. Now 18.4 is around 11%. Really better but still not perfect ... but thanks a lot ;)

User avatar
innocent_bystander
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:04 pm

sekiro wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:32 pm
Same issue here. The default skin doesn't render correctly.
The cpu usage does get better compared to the 18.3 Debug build.
Found a bug in Kodi code (TexturePacker utility).

They are using readdir() without setting _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64, which may lead to EOVERFLOW (Value too large for defined data type) on 32-bit systems.

Unfortunately, their code does not detect the error and just silently ignores it. So, none of the PNG elements from the two built-in themes are copied into the texture files. This is why some of my builds ended up with no cursors or dialog boxes (other than the one time I was built 18.3-5).
The motto of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is "Share and Enjoy."

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

bscphil
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:25 am

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:44 am

innocent_bystander wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:16 pm
My fellow Kodified Raspinauts of the 4th Dimension, I bring to you Debian package for Kodi 18.4 Leia:

Thanks, I appreciate the work. Idle CPU is down from 50% to 30%. Unfortunately the interface is still just as slow as before: when using the remote, the CPU briefly spikes to 100% on all cores and Kodi hangs for a second or so.
innocent_bystander wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:16 pm
It is very crude and was written in RPi_Mike style with no checks or balances. So, if something goes wrong, you may need to "completely NUKE your system ... and then start all over again from scratch!"

Lol, that thread is hilarious, some real Windows 10 ricer forum level stuff. "This script will make ur Pi 1000% fasterer. If it breaks your system just wipe it and start over." If you need to use someone's script and a 10k word forum thread to build ffmpeg, probably best just not to do it.

bscphil
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:25 am

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:43 am

bscphil wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:31 am
Once or twice when I have started Kodi, it works correctly, with high performance and little CPU use. Every other time, it uses ~50% of one core when idling, and (more importantly) interacting with the UI (via a remote) spikes the CPU briefly to 100% on all cores, resulting in a very slow interface compared to on the Pi 3. I suspect that Kodi is having trouble activating the accelerated graphics mode sometimes, but I have not been able to narrow the problem down further than that. OpenGL is reported as VMware OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa, if that helps anyone.

OK, so I've confirmed I was right about the performance issue. I managed to get it to work correctly (by luck, as far as I can tell), and there's the following difference in the logs:

Not working:

Code: Select all

2019-09-07 01:02:32.796 T:2972667184  NOTICE: GL_VENDOR = VMware, Inc.
2019-09-07 01:02:32.796 T:2972667184  NOTICE: GL_RENDERER = llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits)

Working:

Code: Select all

2019-09-07 01:05:18.586 T:2972536112  NOTICE: GL_VENDOR = Broadcom
2019-09-07 01:05:18.587 T:2972536112  NOTICE: GL_RENDERER = V3D 4.2

So there's a bug, either with this build or with Kodi itself, where sometimes it won't be able to initialize the hardware accelerated graphics driver and it falls back to doing the GUI in software. That's what causes the slowness I and some others have seen.

Notice that these logs were taken mere minutes apart, and as far as I can tell I didn't do anything significant that would cause it to start working. Kodi's ability to successfully use VC4 seems to be random. Maybe there's a race condition for finding a working driver?

User avatar
innocent_bystander
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:12 pm

bscphil wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:43 am
Not working:

Code: Select all

2019-09-07 01:02:32.796 T:2972667184  NOTICE: GL_VENDOR = VMware, Inc.
2019-09-07 01:02:32.796 T:2972667184  NOTICE: GL_RENDERER = llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits)
Working:

Code: Select all

2019-09-07 01:05:18.586 T:2972536112  NOTICE: GL_VENDOR = Broadcom
2019-09-07 01:05:18.587 T:2972536112  NOTICE: GL_RENDERER = V3D 4.2

@bscphil good on spotting that. Let's see if we can figure out what's going on here...
The motto of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is "Share and Enjoy."

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

LTolledo
Posts: 1951
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:29 am
Location: Anime Heartland

Re: [UPDATE] Kodi 18.4 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:15 am

I've seen kodi updates for RPi4... I really appreciate the effort and labor of love by @innocent_bystander. Thanks!

will this be trickling down to RPi3B+ and (at most) RPi3B? (usable up to RPi1B asking too much? ;) )

or we'll just be stuck to Kodi 18.2 there.... (well at least its still working perfectly fine there... thanks to @rascas!)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

psyke83
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:54 am

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:50 pm

innocent_bystander wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:12 pm
bscphil wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:43 am
Not working:

Code: Select all

2019-09-07 01:02:32.796 T:2972667184  NOTICE: GL_VENDOR = VMware, Inc.
2019-09-07 01:02:32.796 T:2972667184  NOTICE: GL_RENDERER = llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits)
Working:

Code: Select all

2019-09-07 01:05:18.586 T:2972536112  NOTICE: GL_VENDOR = Broadcom
2019-09-07 01:05:18.587 T:2972536112  NOTICE: GL_RENDERER = V3D 4.2

@bscphil good on spotting that. Let's see if we can figure out what's going on here...
I haven't yet tried this Kodi build, but I'm seeing similar behaviour.

My RPI4 buster image is configured to boot emulationstation via a KMS session, and it uses llvmpipe on first boot, every time, which causes the application to run extremely slowly (and sometimes segfault spontaneously). Restarting the process manually would always result in the V3D driver being selected correctly on the subsequent launch. I also experienced intermittent cases in which launching other SDL2 applications via a KMS context would randomly select the software llvmpipe driver.

The solution for me was to add my user to the render group. Judging by the symptoms you describe it seems likely to resolve your issue with Kodi as well.

I also run a RPI3 image in a KMS context using the fkms driver, and never saw this issue. An important difference between the VC4 and V3D drivers is that only the latter driver enumerates a render node in /dev/dri. This would at least explain why RPI3 doesn't require this workaround, but doesn't really shed much light on why the issue happens intermittently if the user is not added to this group.

Pander
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:35 pm

Re: [UPDATE] Kodi 18.4 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:11 pm

Upstream bug report is https://bugs.launchpad.net/raspbian/+bug/1834970 Please attach any solutions there too so all models of RPi can get support from Raspbian repository.

gkreidl
Posts: 6097
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: [UPDATE] Kodi 18.4 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:31 pm

Pander wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:11 pm
Upstream bug report is https://bugs.launchpad.net/raspbian/+bug/1834970 Please attach any solutions there too so all models of RPi can get support from Raspbian repository.
Obviously you have no idea about all the efforts to create a version for Raspbian Buster. You should stop spamming the forum with this useless link.
innocent_bystander offers a version for the RPi 4.
Rascas/pipplware offer a solution for all other RPi boards.
We will have to wait until he finishes a final version for all RPis. This version will find its way into the Foundation repository.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

bscphil
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:25 am

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:44 pm

psyke83 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:50 pm
innocent_bystander wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:12 pm
bscphil wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:43 am
Not working:

Code: Select all

2019-09-07 01:02:32.796 T:2972667184  NOTICE: GL_VENDOR = VMware, Inc.
2019-09-07 01:02:32.796 T:2972667184  NOTICE: GL_RENDERER = llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits)
Working:

Code: Select all

2019-09-07 01:05:18.586 T:2972536112  NOTICE: GL_VENDOR = Broadcom
2019-09-07 01:05:18.587 T:2972536112  NOTICE: GL_RENDERER = V3D 4.2

@bscphil good on spotting that. Let's see if we can figure out what's going on here...
I haven't yet tried this Kodi build, but I'm seeing similar behaviour.

My RPI4 buster image is configured to boot emulationstation via a KMS session, and it uses llvmpipe on first boot, every time, which causes the application to run extremely slowly (and sometimes segfault spontaneously). Restarting the process manually would always result in the V3D driver being selected correctly on the subsequent launch. I also experienced intermittent cases in which launching other SDL2 applications via a KMS context would randomly select the software llvmpipe driver.

The solution for me was to add my user to the render group. Judging by the symptoms you describe it seems likely to resolve your issue with Kodi as well.

I also run a RPI3 image in a KMS context using the fkms driver, and never saw this issue. An important difference between the VC4 and V3D drivers is that only the latter driver enumerates a render node in /dev/dri. This would at least explain why RPI3 doesn't require this workaround, but doesn't really shed much light on why the issue happens intermittently if the user is not added to this group.

Thanks very much, this is a very helpful suggestion. I'll add my user to the group, though it will be hard to confirm that it's working as opposed to just giving me V3D by luck (it has worked the last 2-3 times, for whatever reason). If this turns out not to be a Kodi issue, that makes it much more mystifying to me.

Edit: I found this, which suggests that users are supposed to get access to this file automatically without being a member of the render group. I wonder if this other access mechanism could be flakey and that's the reason we're seeing these issues. Trying to look into it further but not seeing a lot of documentation on how systemd's uaccess is supposed to work.

Edit2: Looks like Kodi may be getting access to "argon-*" devices via /etc/udev/rules.d/50-kodi.rules. Might be worth looking at whether it ought to be getting render access here too.

Edit3: OK, so from what I've been able to find, the uaccess tag gives access to the file to physically logged in users. I'm starting Kodi over ssh! (If it turns out only people starting Kodi with ssh see this problem, that would basically confirm the bug explanation.) Of course this raises the question of why it ever works. Glitching in an ACL isn't what you want to see...

User avatar
innocent_bystander
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: [UPDATE] Kodi 18.4 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:06 pm

I just confirmed this to be the problem. @bscphil and @psyke83 you guys are geniuses for find this out.

Basically, here is what happens. When I originally compiled Kodi, I was able to launch it from a terminal and it worked great. But when I tried using chvt or even wrote my own proggy to switch terminals, the Kodi would be extremely slow. It didn't have time or patience to figure out why and came up with the kodi-shell@.service hack, which creates a logged-in shell, switches to it and launches Kodi. :shock:

This works 99% of the time, but as @bscphil has discovered it would misfire once in a while. I now know why. :?

Once kodi-shell@.service creates a logged-in shell on tty8, behind the scenes systemd/logind creates needed ACLs which give Kodi access to /dev/dri/renderD128. My guess is that occasionally systemd/logind doesn't have enough time to set up the ACLs and Kodi ends up not being able to access the file and falls back to the LLVMPipe renderer, which is extremely slow.

Same thing would happen when I tried using chvt earlier. (Since no shell was being created, Kodi didn't have access to the file from that tty.)

If I either chown :video /dev/dri/renderD128 or add myself to the render group, everything starts working beautifully. No more need for kodi-shell@.service. :D :D :D

I will try to do another release soon with these fixes. My only question is, should we change ownership of /dev/dri/renderD128 to the video group, or should just advise the user to add themselves to the render group?

If any of the RPi devs happen to be reading this, please advise.
The motto of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is "Share and Enjoy."

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

User avatar
innocent_bystander
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: [UPDATE] Kodi 18.4 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:11 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:15 am
I've seen kodi updates for RPi4... I really appreciate the effort and labor of love by @innocent_bystander. Thanks!

will this be trickling down to RPi3B+ and (at most) RPi3B? (usable up to RPi1B asking too much? ;) )

or we'll just be stuck to Kodi 18.2 there.... (well at least its still working perfectly fine there... thanks to @rascas!)
Thanks @LTolledo. The purpose of this release was specifically to take advantage of RPi 4 h.265 hardware decoding capabilities. Unfortunately, I am lacking the time and expertise to get it working on all platforms. But hopefully @rascas and/or RPi devs have something in the works.
The motto of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is "Share and Enjoy."

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

bscphil
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:25 am

Re: [UPDATE] Kodi 18.4 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:23 pm

innocent_bystander wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:06 pm
I just confirmed this to be the problem. @bscphil and @psyke83 you guys are geniuses for find this out.

Basically, here is what happens. When I originally compiled Kodi, I was able to launch it from a terminal and it worked great. But when I tried using chvt or even wrote my own proggy to switch terminals, the Kodi would be extremely slow. It didn't have time or patience to figure out why and came up with the kodi-shell@.service hack, which creates a logged-in shell, switches to it and launches Kodi. :shock:

This works 99% of the time, but as @bscphil has discovered it would misfire once in a while. I now know why. :?

Once kodi-shell@.service creates a logged-in shell on tty8, behind the scenes systemd/logind creates needed ACLs which give Kodi access to /dev/dri/renderD128. My guess is that occasionally systemd/logind doesn't have enough time to set up the ACLs and Kodi ends up not being able to access the file and falls back to the LLVMPipe renderer, which is extremely slow.

Same thing would happen when I tried using chvt earlier. (Since no shell was being created, Kodi didn't have access to the file from that tty.)

If I either chown :video /dev/dri/renderD128 or add myself to the render group, everything starts working beautifully. No more need for kodi-shell@.service. :D :D :D

I will try to do another release soon with these fixes. My only question is, should we change ownership of /dev/dri/renderD128 to the video group, or should just advise the user to add themselves to the render group?

If any of the RPi devs happen to be reading this, please advise.

Okay, so I think the following summarizes it:
  • When you first log in via ssh and just run kodi from the terminal, it never works because ssh users don't have uaccess permission to the render device.
  • Sometimes when you run kodi-rpi4 or the kodi-shell service, you'll win the hypothesized race condition and Kodi will be given access to the render device. (This seems to happen 25% of the time for me at best.)
  • Once you have been given access to the render device, starting Kodi with any method from the same terminal will work until you reboot.
This matches my experiences and I think matches what we've figured out here.

I think adding the user to render is a much cleaner solution than messing with the ownership. Who knows what changing that could break elsewhere. But I wonder if there's a udev rule we could ship with the Kodi deb that would give permission to the render device to users in video? That would be the cleanest solution of all (see my second edit above, which was along these lines). Maybe the following rule?

Code: Select all

SUBSYSTEM=="drm", GROUP="video", MODE="0660"
(The only remaining question I have is whether there are any security concerns associated with having access to the render device.)

User avatar
innocent_bystander
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: [UPDATE] Kodi 18.4 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:37 pm

bscphil wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:23 pm
Okay, so I think the following summarizes it:
  • When you first log in via ssh and just run kodi from the terminal, it never works because ssh users don't have uaccess permission to the render device.
  • Sometimes when you run kodi-rpi4 or the kodi-shell service, you'll win the hypothesized race condition and Kodi will be given access to the render device. (This seems to happen 25% of the time for me at best.)
  • Once you have been given access to the render device, starting Kodi with any method from the same terminal will work until you reboot.
That's right. (Minor correction on point #3: systemd tears down ACLs once you log out of the terminal - not upon reboot.)
bscphil wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:23 pm
But I wonder if there's a udev rule we could ship with the Kodi deb that would give permission to the render device to users in video? That would be the cleanest solution of all (see my second edit above, which was along these lines).
Unfortunately, there is no way of doing that.
bscphil wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:23 pm
Maybe the following rule?

Code: Select all

SUBSYSTEM=="drm", GROUP="video", MODE="0660"
Well, this rule tells udev for any device in the "drm" subsystem to set their group to :video, which essentially is the first thing I proposed. :)

EDIT: I am curious though, why would all devices in /dev/dri are in the video group and renderD218 is in the render group.
I found this but there is no explanation why this was done.
Last edited by innocent_bystander on Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The motto of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is "Share and Enjoy."

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

bscphil
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:25 am

Re: [UPDATE] Kodi 18.4 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:44 pm

innocent_bystander wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:37 pm
bscphil wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:23 pm
Maybe the following rule?

Code: Select all

SUBSYSTEM=="drm", GROUP="video", MODE="0660"
Well, this rule tells udev for any device in the "drm" subsystem to set their group to :video, which essentially is the first thing I proposed. :)

Ugh, this is why I never mess with udev. Yeah, I'm going to guess people should just add themselves to the render user then. Probably it should be the default? Currently it looks like physically logged in users have access (see /lib/udev/rules.d/70-uaccess.rules), but I can't think of a reason not to give access to users on ssh, or other programs running with the same access.

(In hindsight, it should have been obvious that's what that rule did. The way people described the rule of StackOverflow didn't say anything about the file permissions, which threw me off.)

@innocent_bystander: surprisingly enough, this paragraph in Wikipedia does an excellent job of explaining why they separate the permissions for render and DRM devices. Basically: render nodes are less privileged, letting applications with access to the node do work on the GPU without access to the full DRM modesetting api.
Last edited by bscphil on Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
innocent_bystander
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: [UPDATE] Kodi 18.4 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:59 pm

Found relevant systemd commit: udev-rules: Permission changes for /dev/dri/renderD*

Interestingly, this commit says: "Change default mode to 0666". Which means any user should be able to access it. :( I am guessing Debian folks are to blame here. Maybe they had a reason for doing it that way, or it could just be a bug.

I am thinking of just adding another udev rule that resets mode of /dev/dri/renderD128 to 0666. This way we can avoid having to make users add themselves to the render group.
The motto of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is "Share and Enjoy."

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

bscphil
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:25 am

Re: [UPDATE] Kodi 18.4 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:07 pm

innocent_bystander wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:59 pm
Found relevant systemd commit: udev-rules: Permission changes for /dev/dri/renderD*

Interestingly, this commit says: "Change default mode to 0666". Which means any user should be able to access it. :( I am guessing Debian folks are to blame here. Maybe they had a reason for doing it that way, or it could just be a bug.

I am thinking of just adding another udev rule that resets mode of /dev/dri/renderD128 to 0666. This way we can avoid having to make users add themselves to the render group.

(We're doing a bunch of simultaneous editing I think.) I don't think that would be too terrible actually. It's 0666 on my laptop (Arch Linux). And if what I edited into my previous comment is correct, then it's supposed to be a less privileged interface than the DRM interfaces (/dev/dri/cardX) anyway.

However, I do think it's definitely a Raspbian bug that the pi user isn't in render by default. It's already in the more privileged video group so it makes no sense that pi can't access the rendering device.

Edit: yes, it looks like this is something Debian did explicitly (though without explaining why): https://salsa.debian.org/systemd-team/s ... f9b1fdbcfc They're passing a build-time option to change the default:

Code: Select all

	-Dgroup-render-mode=0660

bat0nas
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:28 am

Re: [UPDATE] Kodi 18.4 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:37 am

Hi all. There's this config.txt file where I have to make those changes?

Set your gpu_mem to 256 or higher in config.txt (ie, gpu_mem=256).
Enable fkms driver in config.txt (ie, dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d).

derders
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:26 pm

Re: [UPDATE] Kodi 18.4 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:25 am

bat0nas wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:37 am
Hi all. There's this config.txt file where I have to make those changes?

Set your gpu_mem to 256 or higher in config.txt (ie, gpu_mem=256).
Enable fkms driver in config.txt (ie, dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d).
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

User avatar
innocent_bystander
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: [UPDATE] Kodi 18.4 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:03 pm

bscphil wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:07 pm
(We're doing a bunch of simultaneous editing I think.)

Yep. :D
bscphil wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:07 pm
I don't think that would be too terrible actually. It's 0666 on my laptop (Arch Linux).

I'll go ahead and do that as well. This way users installing it don't have to do anything.
bscphil wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:07 pm
Edit: yes, it looks like this is something Debian did explicitly (though without explaining why): https://salsa.debian.org/systemd-team/s ... f9b1fdbcfc They're passing a build-time option to change the default:

Code: Select all

	-Dgroup-render-mode=0660

Good find.
The motto of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is "Share and Enjoy."

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

User avatar
poggino
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:20 am

Re: [UPDATE] Kodi 18.4 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:20 am

hi all,
I installed kodi 18.4 and so far so good, restart the raspberry,is ok ,
I install pvr iptv simple client, reboot and kodi gives me 17.6 kripton, why? :? :? :?
use raspbian buster and raspberry 4
ciao ciao
raspberry 1,3b,4

ZedeN
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:26 pm

Re: [UPDATE] Kodi 18.4 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:40 pm

I mainly installed this to be able to watch Netflix on Raspberry Pi 4.

Watching via Chromium seems to be impossible for reasons beyond my understanding. Something to do with:
Ventz wrote:latest widevine is compiled against “latest stable” which has moved to v76 directly

To get it to work via Kodi, I had to follow this thread. Use at own risk and read the topics for full understanding:

  1. Follow instructions from here, including the latest comments:
    Commands as guidance:

    Code: Select all

    sudo apt install ./kodi-rpi4_18.4.0-5_armhf.deb
    
    sudo nano  /boot/config.txt
    ##Add these 2 lines to the file
    #gpu_mem=256
    #dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
    
    exit 1    #so you don't blindly copy paste
    ##OR if you have default config#
    sudo su
    echo "gpu_mem=256" >> /boot/config.txt
    echo "dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d" >> /boot/config.txt
    exit
    
    exit 1    #so you don't blindly copy paste
    #Also add your user to render group:
    #render:x:107:pi
    sudo usermod -aG render $USER 
  2. Follow instructions from here and get input.stream from another repo as suggested by derders. You might want to delete the repo after successful install.
    SOME of the commands as guidance:

    Code: Select all

    pip install --user pycryptodomex
    
    sudo su
    curl -sSL http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/key.asc | apt-key add -
    echo 'deb http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/dists/buster/main/binary /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kodi.list
    exit
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install kodi-inputstream-adaptive
    
  3. Make sure to follow of all CastagnaIT instructions and some more, including getting inputstream helper .zip from github:
    • First download the repository zips
    • Open Kodi, go to menu Add-ons, select "Install from zip file", and select the downloaded zips (plugin.video.netflix-master.zip and script.module.inputstreamhelper-master.zip)
    • Last step, go to "Install from repository", select CastagnaIT repository and Netflix addon
    • Also: Addons > My Add-ons > Videoplayer InputStream and check it's enabled.
EDIT: added sudo usermod -aG render $USER and formatting

raspberryrockgr
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:42 am

Re: [UPDATE] Kodi 18.4 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:27 pm

hi,
can i install pvr iptvsimple? with previous versions trying to install from debian repo i had to uninstall kodi-rpi4 and synaptic installs kodi from deb repo. Does this version have pvr clients?Is there any way to install it through kodi with a zip or repo file?
thank you

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”