bscphil

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:30 am

Something I don't understand: who exactly maintains packages for the Raspbian repositories? I think most of the packages are just taken from Debian's armhf builds, right? But some of them need to be compiled with RPi specific libraries, e.g. Kodi. The Kodi build in Raspbian stretch certainly isn't from Debian, though, if for no other reason than that Debian is stuck on 17.x on all its versions: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/kodi

It would be nice to have some way to look this up, but so far as I can tell the Raspbian project is missing a lot of the infrastructure that other OS projects have for stuff like this. I'm used to working with distribution build systems and it would be nice to be able to offer help, or at least use the infrastructure to build it myself. There is a bug report system, but maintainers don't seem to be active there. E.g. https://bugs.launchpad.net/raspbian/+bug/1834970

Is @Rascas the maintainer of Kodi builds for Raspbian? Or did they just write a popular guide to installing Kodi?
OK8 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:30 pm
However, whenever I try to play any video, youtube or otherwise I only get a black screen. The player works fine and is responsive and I can hear audio but there is no video.

I have modified my config.txt according to the original post, but still the problem persists.

You might have a look at this thread, which sounds like the same issue. No resolution for that user yet, though.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:03 am

raspbian.raspberrypi.org is maintained by plugwash. It's mostly a straight armv6 rebuild of debian. Those packages are usually only patched when it's required to build or run on an armv6 system.

archive.raspberrypi.org is maintained by Raspberry Pi Trading and contains packages which aren't in Debian, packages with our own patches, backports and so on.

Kodi in raspbian.raspberrypi.org is just a build of the Debian package, so it will run on any decent armhf platform, albeit poorly. Kodi in archive.raspberrypi.org for stretch was kindly provided by Rascas, who runs https://pipplware.pplware.pt/. It's just copied from his repo. We're holding off on adding any kodi package until we have something that runs on pi3 and pi4 in FKMS and legacy modes.

bscphil

Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:23 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:03 am
Kodi in raspbian.raspberrypi.org is just a build of the Debian package, so it will run on any decent armhf platform, albeit poorly. Kodi in archive.raspberrypi.org for stretch was kindly provided by Rascas, who runs https://pipplware.pplware.pt/. It's just copied from his repo. We're holding off on adding any kodi package until we have something that runs on pi3 and pi4 in FKMS and legacy modes.
Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know. So for an "official" package, we're waiting on Rascas. Got it.

berrywhite96

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:56 am

Does anyone worked out how to install inputstream adaptive addon? In my installation there isnt any category for video input stream, so also no entry for the adaptive addon.

derders

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:05 pm

berrywhite96 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:56 am
Does anyone worked out how to install inputstream adaptive addon? In my installation there isnt any category for video input stream, so also no entry for the adaptive addon.
add to your /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/dists/buster/main/binary /

in command line
wget -O - http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/key.asc | sudo apt-key add -

than
apt-get update

apt-get install kodi-inputstream-adaptive

LTolledo

Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:09 am

Hi there fellow Kodi enthusiast!

just got my RPi4B-4G and currently setting it up

after reading from the first part of this thread, got confused on the proper procedure to install Kodi 18.3
will appreciate if somebody can post an updated procedure for installing

thanks!
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

amilino

Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:25 am

LTolledo wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:09 am
Hi there fellow Kodi enthusiast!

just got my RPi4B-4G and currently setting it up

after reading from the first part of this thread, got confused on the proper procedure to install Kodi 18.3
will appreciate if somebody can post an updated procedure for installing

thanks!
What exactly you don't understand? It is quite straightforward, download the file and install it with simple command.

LTolledo

Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:29 pm

if its only the one on the first post then its pretty much straight forward as mentioned.

however there were other commands presented on the succeeding post...that caused confusion on my part... thus the request for "comprehensive updated procedure"

thanks anyway, got it installed as per first post instructions.

Some people be like:

LTolledo

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:03 pm

will this work on RPi3B+ as well? or specific only for RPi4B?

Some people be like:

Rascas

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:55 pm

Only for RPi 4.

thatchunkylad198966

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:33 pm

Installed this and it's dependencies but every-time I start Kodi up, it exits to cli and then I see the Kodi screen. once I exit Kodi, it's back to the desktop.

Is this normal?
One man's trash is another man's treasure! :) Pi's I have; Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi 2 x2, Pi 3 x2, Pi 4 4GB x2.

amilino

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:45 pm

thatchunkylad198966 wrote:
Installed this and it's dependencies but every-time I start Kodi up, it exits to cli and then I see the Kodi screen. once I exit Kodi, it's back to the desktop.

Is this normal?
Are you guys reading posts in this topic (at least first two)? You are a little bit spamming us all. 😌

thatchunkylad198966

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:48 pm

amilino wrote:

Is this normal?
Are you guys reading posts in this topic (at least first two)? You are a little bit spamming us all. 😌
I don't know why I didn't see that before lol thanks! :D :lol:
One man's trash is another man's treasure! :) Pi's I have; Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi 2 x2, Pi 3 x2, Pi 4 4GB x2.

innocent_bystander

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:12 pm

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:48 pm
amilino wrote:

I don't know why I didn't see that before lol thanks! :D :lol:

Sorry, it's as good as I could do for now... :geek:
The motto of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is "Share and Enjoy."

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

okler

Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:31 am

After starting Kodi, which attaches to tty8 from what I can tell, it's not possible to switch tty again until after Kodi has exited.

Ctrl+Alt+<Number> or Alt+Left/Right just doesn't do anything.

Any workarounds for this?

innocent_bystander

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:36 pm

okler wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:31 am
After starting Kodi, which attaches to tty8 from what I can tell, it's not possible to switch tty again until after Kodi has exited.

Ctrl+Alt+<Number> or Alt+Left/Right just doesn't do anything.

Any workarounds for this?

It's supposed to switch back to your original tty. If it didn't, it probably froze. The "workaround" is to reboot your Pi. :roll: If it keeps doing it, make sure you follow instructions in the 1st post. Namely, make sure (1) you are using RPi 4, (2) your GPU memory is set correctly, (3) FKMS is enabled.

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

okler

Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:30 am

innocent_bystander wrote:
It's supposed to switch back to your original tty. If it didn't, it probably froze. The "workaround" is to reboot your Pi. :roll: If it keeps doing it, make sure you follow instructions in the 1st post. Namely, make sure (1) you are using RPi 4, (2) your GPU memory is set correctly, (3) FKMS is enabled.
It certainly didn't freeze. I can shut Kodi down and get back to desktop and other ttys. And while it's running I can connect via ssh.
And I'm 1) using Rpi4 4GB, 2) gpu_mem=512, and 3) dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d (was enabled by default)

I digged a little bit, and I found out that this build that's provided in the initial post (https://github.com/dimitry-ishenko-rpi/kodi-rpi4) is using the kodi-gbm version of Kodi, and from what I understand this version is utilizing the GPU directly, w/o using X. See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?ti ... di_for_GBM

So as far as I can tell there's no way to make kodi-gbm let go of it's grip of the display until it shuts down, unfortunately.

innocent_bystander, do you use this build, and are you able to switch tty's?

gkreidl

Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:44 am

okler wrote:
innocent_bystander wrote:
It certainly didn't freeze. I can shut Kodi down and get back to desktop and other ttys. And while it's running I can connect via ssh.
And I'm 1) using Rpi4 4GB, 2) gpu_mem=512, and 3) dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d (was enabled by default)

I digged a little bit, and I found out that this build that's provided in the initial post (https://github.com/dimitry-ishenko-rpi/kodi-rpi4) is using the kodi-gbm version of Kodi, and from what I understand this version is utilizing the GPU directly, w/o using X. See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?ti ... di_for_GBM

So as far as I can tell there's no way to make kodi-gbm let go of it's grip of the display until it shuts down, unfortunately.

All kodi versions for the RPi have been built like that.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

okler

Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:46 am

Well, not the vanilla one in the main buster repo.

But I guess it uses that technique to be more efficient. But it would really be nice if there was 1) some way to switch tty w/o killing Kodi, and 2) some way to run multiple instances of kodi-gbm simultaneously.

gkreidl

Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:27 am

okler wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:46 am
Well, not the vanilla one in the main buster repo.

But I guess it uses that technique to be more efficient. But it would really be nice if there was 1) some way to switch tty w/o killing Kodi, and 2) some way to run multiple instances of kodi-gbm simultaneously.
The vanilla version is just crap compared to optimized RPi versions.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

innocent_bystander

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:11 pm

okler wrote:

Sorry, misunderstood your problem. Yes, while Kodi is running, it "hogs" the GPU and there is no way of switching ttys. This is an intermediate solution until all the necessary bits (in the kernel, X and kodi) fall in place to support proper playback of HEVC and HDR.

Share and enjoy.

armyofme

Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:42 pm

It's great to be able to use Kodi Leia with Raspbian so thanks for all the hard work getting it to this point.

Eventually I would like to use one hdmi port for my amp and the other for my tv. At the moment if I use hdmi0 for the amp and hdmi1 for the tv this works for everything but Kodi. Basically as soon as Kodi loads I get a black screen. I can play music with the Kodi remote app on my phone so sound is fine, it's just the visual. Anyone any ideas what I can do?

innocent_bystander

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:21 am

armyofme wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:42 pm
It's great to be able to use Kodi Leia with Raspbian so thanks for all the hard work getting it to this point.

Eventually I would like to use one hdmi port for my amp and the other for my tv. At the moment if I use hdmi0 for the amp and hdmi1 for the tv this works for everything but Kodi. Basically as soon as Kodi loads I get a black screen. I can play music with the Kodi remote app on my phone so sound is fine, it's just the visual. Anyone any ideas what I can do?

Just shooting in the dark here, but maybe the video comes out on the same channel as audio?

armyofme

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:05 am

Thanks. Yeah they were but I knew there must be a way to separate them.

Just solved my problem using recommendation from 6by9 in this thread: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 4#p1526690 I now have hdmi0 going to my tv with cec working and hdmi1 going to my amp. Very happy :)

armyofme

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:25 am

Rejoiced to soon about the CEC aspect! That seems intermittent - it only seems to last for about a minute before it stops or if I turn off my TV :( Still I'm very happy with the separate hdmi situation. And it's a starting point with the CEC....I'm sure I'll solve it somehow :) Anyway this is the Kodi thread not CEC so thanks for all your hard work and I'm going to see if there is another thread about CEC. Cheers :)

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”