User avatar
innocent_bystander
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:23 am

berrywhite96 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:39 pm
innocent_bystander wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:35 am
Sorry, I don't have a 4K setup, so can't be of much help... other than suggesting to make sure your gpu_mem is set to 320MB.
Oh ok, GPU mem is set to 320MB, tried 360MB but kodi crashed on startup. Maybe anyone can confirm that he/she has 4k@60hz?

Another idea I had is, if you have a spare microSD card, install LibreELEC on it and see if it can do 4K@60. If it does, you should be able to do it as well. :)
The motto of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is "Share and Enjoy."

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

JeeWee
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:13 pm

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:22 pm

Does this work on Raspbian Buster Lite as well?
When I try starting kodi or kodi-rpi4 I get the message

Code: Select all

 ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting

berrywhite96
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:06 am

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:01 pm

innocent_bystander wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:23 am
berrywhite96 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:39 pm
innocent_bystander wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:35 am
Sorry, I don't have a 4K setup, so can't be of much help... other than suggesting to make sure your gpu_mem is set to 320MB.
Oh ok, GPU mem is set to 320MB, tried 360MB but kodi crashed on startup. Maybe anyone can confirm that he/she has 4k@60hz?

Another idea I had is, if you have a spare microSD card, install LibreELEC on it and see if it can do 4K@60. If it does, you should be able to do it as well. :)
Good idea, I will search for an unused SD card. Thanks!
JeeWee wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:22 pm
Does this work on Raspbian Buster Lite as well?
When I try starting kodi or kodi-rpi4 I get the message

Code: Select all

 ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting
Yes, it works. Got it running with 320M on gpu_mem. Make sure u install the deb file, dont install Kodi from repo.

Edit for 4k@60Hz Problem:
Installed LibreElec on an other sd card and the result was the same. Did some research and found a guy from LibreElec demonstrating the Pi 4 with the newest build. He also couldnt run video on 4k@60Hz, sadly he didnt tell why. But he recommended to run Kodi UI on 1080p@60Hz and whitelist 2160p support on all refresh rates. This seems to me a good compromise so the UI runs flawlessly and the video too on the highest resolution.
I couldnt figured out why 4k@60Hz doesnt work, maybe someone else got an answer.

riviera1
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:14 pm

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:44 pm

ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting
I kept getting this same error every time I tried to start Kodi (either by terminal or the Raspbian menu).

I have a new Raspberry Pi 4 (4G ram) with fresh Raspbian Buster with Desktop install. Memory is set at 512M. I installed Kodi from the link in the first post on this thread. I had originally set the graphics driver to the original non-GL version and every time I started Kodi the "unable to create GUI error" came up and Kodi wouldn't load. So I changed the driver to the experimental GL driver and Kodi loads without this error.

However, with the experimental GL driver, my Silicondust HDHomeRun streams won't play (I think they are MPEG-2 streams and I use the HDHomeRun app for Kodi to play them)- the screen turns black and kodi crashes to Raspbian desktop. I also have a Pi 3B+ with Kodi 17.6 and the non_GL driver has to be used to play the HDHomeRun MPEG-2 streams. So is it assumed that everyone using the Pi 4 with Kodi Leia should be using the experimental GL driver?

Interestingly, when I first got the Pi 4, I installed Raspbian Buster with desktop and then Kodi 17.6 from the Kodi repository. In this setup, the original non-GL graphics driver was used. I could launch Kodi without any problem, but with Kodi running without any playback, both CPU's were running at about 80-90%. Playing MPEG-2 tv streams was very choppy at 1080p and I think increased CPU utilization to close to 100%.

Anyway, these are my Pi 4 experiences so far.

User avatar
innocent_bystander
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:49 pm

riviera1 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:44 pm
ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting
I kept getting this same error every time I tried to start Kodi (either by terminal or the Raspbian menu).

I have a new Raspberry Pi 4 (4G ram) with fresh Raspbian Buster with Desktop install. Memory is set at 512M. I installed Kodi from the link in the first post on this thread. I had originally set the graphics driver to the original non-GL version and every time I started Kodi the "unable to create GUI error" came up and Kodi wouldn't load. So I changed the driver to the experimental GL driver and Kodi loads without this error.

However, with the experimental GL driver, my Silicondust HDHomeRun streams won't play (I think they are MPEG-2 streams and I use the HDHomeRun app for Kodi to play them)- the screen turns black and kodi crashes to Raspbian desktop. I also have a Pi 3B+ with Kodi 17.6 and the non_GL driver has to be used to play the HDHomeRun MPEG-2 streams. So is it assumed that everyone using the Pi 4 with Kodi Leia should be using the experimental GL driver?

Interestingly, when I first got the Pi 4, I installed Raspbian Buster with desktop and then Kodi 17.6 from the Kodi repository. In this setup, the original non-GL graphics driver was used. I could launch Kodi without any problem, but with Kodi running without any playback, both CPU's were running at about 80-90%. Playing MPEG-2 tv streams was very choppy at 1080p and I think increased CPU utilization to close to 100%.

Anyway, these are my Pi 4 experiences so far.
@riviera1, you are correct -- fkms driver needs to be enabled for Kodi to work (dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d). I've added it to the post.
The motto of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is "Share and Enjoy."

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

amilino
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:01 pm

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:09 pm

innocent_bystander wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:49 pm
riviera1 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:44 pm
ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting
I kept getting this same error every time I tried to start Kodi (either by terminal or the Raspbian menu).

I have a new Raspberry Pi 4 (4G ram) with fresh Raspbian Buster with Desktop install. Memory is set at 512M. I installed Kodi from the link in the first post on this thread. I had originally set the graphics driver to the original non-GL version and every time I started Kodi the "unable to create GUI error" came up and Kodi wouldn't load. So I changed the driver to the experimental GL driver and Kodi loads without this error.

However, with the experimental GL driver, my Silicondust HDHomeRun streams won't play (I think they are MPEG-2 streams and I use the HDHomeRun app for Kodi to play them)- the screen turns black and kodi crashes to Raspbian desktop. I also have a Pi 3B+ with Kodi 17.6 and the non_GL driver has to be used to play the HDHomeRun MPEG-2 streams. So is it assumed that everyone using the Pi 4 with Kodi Leia should be using the experimental GL driver?

Interestingly, when I first got the Pi 4, I installed Raspbian Buster with desktop and then Kodi 17.6 from the Kodi repository. In this setup, the original non-GL graphics driver was used. I could launch Kodi without any problem, but with Kodi running without any playback, both CPU's were running at about 80-90%. Playing MPEG-2 tv streams was very choppy at 1080p and I think increased CPU utilization to close to 100%.

Anyway, these are my Pi 4 experiences so far.
@riviera1, you are correct -- fkms driver needs to be enabled for Kodi to work (dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d). I've added it to the post.
I didn't had to enable it. It was there by default.

riviera1
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:14 pm

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:53 pm

So is there a reason that MPEG-2 streams would cause this version of Kodi on a Pi 4 to crump and crash to desktop? Or is it something to do with the player apps like the HDHomeRun app not being ready for this setup yet? I know the Pi 4 doesn't have hardware MPEG-2 decoding like prior Pi versions.

I thought in the past that when using Kodi 17.x or earlier on a Pi 2/3 that the original non-GL driver had to be used, although I'm not sure why. Just something I noted in a number of how to guides.

User avatar
innocent_bystander
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:06 pm

amilino wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:09 pm
I didn't had to enable it. It was there by default.
Same here. I put it there for folks (like riviera1) end up taking it out for some reason.
The motto of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is "Share and Enjoy."

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

User avatar
innocent_bystander
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:11 pm

riviera1 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:53 pm
So is there a reason that MPEG-2 streams would cause this version of Kodi on a Pi 4 to crump and crash to desktop? Or is it something to do with the player apps like the HDHomeRun app not being ready for this setup yet? I know the Pi 4 doesn't have hardware MPEG-2 decoding like prior Pi versions.

I thought in the past that when using Kodi 17.x or earlier on a Pi 2/3 that the original non-GL driver had to be used, although I'm not sure why. Just something I noted in a number of how to guides.
Not sure, my man. I would suggest looking in the Kodi logs for clues.
The motto of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is "Share and Enjoy."

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

riviera1
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:14 pm

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:13 pm

Same here. I put it there for folks (like riviera1) end up taking it out for some reason.
I disabled it because it supposedly was required to do so for Kodi on Raspbian in prior versions of Kodi and the Pi. At least according to some of the guides I read. Like this one:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-k ... ia-center/

User avatar
innocent_bystander
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:19 pm

riviera1 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:13 pm
Same here. I put it there for folks (like riviera1) end up taking it out for some reason.
I disabled it because it supposedly was required to do so for Kodi on Raspbian in prior versions of Kodi and the Pi. At least according to some of the guides I read. Like this one:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-k ... ia-center/
@riviera1, I believe you. I think I had to do the same, when I tried running Kodi on my RPi 3 back in the day. (Ended up selling it due to inability to play my h.265 files.)

I am sure there will be other folks who will try to follow outdated guides and end up removing it from their configs. Thanks by the way for finding that out.
The motto of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is "Share and Enjoy."

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

bscphil
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:25 am

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:19 am

Some have mentioned that using a script to switch from an X server to a vterm before running Kodi makes it slow. However, I'm using this package on a minimal Raspbian installation with no GUI, and I'm still experiencing extreme slowness and laggy inputs in anything involving the Kodi GUI. Once a video starts, as long as I don't call up the GUI everything is okay.

Hopefully this is fixed when the official 18.3 package for Buster is released ... and hopefully it will be released soon.

Edit: also, when watching anything with subtitles, the subtitles (but not the video) flicker and tear.

Noobelec
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:59 am

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:09 am

Hi everyone

I am new to the Raspberry Pi 4 as of yesterday. Bought to replace my old Boxee Box as a media streamer for my movie collection.

Installed Kodi and Libreelec from here: https://libreelec.tv/raspberry-pi-4/

Managed to connect up, install and scan my NAS share. Cover art is all found fine and the library shows up as it should.

However, I get audio but no video playback (tried a number of different files) every time I play a movie. To me this seems codec related, but I do not know enough about Kodi/Libreelec settings yet to ensure I am doing the right thing. I am not at work and I was up late last night tinkering, but I did try going into Video Playback settings and turning off hardware decoding - this changed nothing. Above that an option was greyed out (I think it was software related) and I could not change it; I had seen some advice elsewhere which suggested this could be the cause of no video with sound only.

Now, I have been reading this thread and there is talk of changing config.txt files etc. Do I need to enable something for the video to work? Or is it something else? Share type?

Very excited to be part of the community, and I wanted to say thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

Setup:

Synology 710+ (video music etc)
Raspberry Pi 4 with LibreElec and Kodi 18.3
HDMI out to TV
Last edited by Noobelec on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
innocent_bystander
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:55 pm

Noobelec wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:09 am
Hi everyone

I am new to the Raspberry Pi 4 as of yesterday. Bought to replace my old Boxee Box as a media streamer for my movie collection.

Installed Kodi and Libreelec from here: https://libreelec.tv/raspberry-pi-4/

Managed to connect up, install and scan my NAS share. Cover art is all found fine and the library shows up as it should.

However, I get audio but no video playback (tried a number of different files) every time I play a movie. To me this seems codec related, but I do not know enough about Kodi/Libreelec settings yet to ensure I am doing the right thing. I am not at work and I was up late last night tinkering, but I did try going into Video Playback settings and turning off hardware decoding - this changed nothing. Above that an option was greyed out (I think it was software related) and I could not change it; I had seen some advice elsewhere which suggested this could be the cause of no video with sound only.

Now, I have been reading this thread and there is talk of changing config.txt files etc. Do I need to enable something for the video to work? Or is it something else? Share type?

Very excited to be part of the community, and I wanted to say thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

@Noobelec, you are probably better off asking LibreELEC specific questions on their forums, but I believe all the settings in the config.txt should already be set for you.

This thread is for an unofficial version of Kodi that runs on Raspbian.

Good luck!
The motto of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is "Share and Enjoy."

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

Noobelec
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:59 am

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:02 pm

Well, that just shows what a newbie I am!

Thank you for the advice, I'll head over there.

bscphil
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:25 am

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:00 am

bscphil wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:19 am
Some have mentioned that using a script to switch from an X server to a vterm before running Kodi makes it slow. However, I'm using this package on a minimal Raspbian installation with no GUI, and I'm still experiencing extreme slowness and laggy inputs in anything involving the Kodi GUI. Once a video starts, as long as I don't call up the GUI everything is okay.

Hopefully this is fixed when the official 18.3 package for Buster is released ... and hopefully it will be released soon.

Edit: also, when watching anything with subtitles, the subtitles (but not the video) flicker and tear.
Update: some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that the problem has gone away. It seems to have been the result of thermal throttling. I was just starting a movie in Kodi when I saw that my FLIRC case had arrived. CPU temperature of the bare board was ~68 C. I immediately shut it down and installed the case and resumed watching the movie. I noticed right away after restarting the Pi that the Kodi interface was no longer laggy, and by about an hour into the film the CPU temperature was up to ~54 C, where it remained the rest of the way. That's about +32 C over ambient. It's sitting there now, even with the screen off (but Kodi running), which seems a bit hot, but as long as the components are not stressed at that temperature and it doesn't throttle I'm okay with that.

The bad news is that it really doesn't seem like this should have been a problem. Thermal throttling just running the Kodi GUI seems to suggest that either opengl graphics are currently borked pretty badly and the CPU is taking the load instead of the GPU, or that the Pi 4 requires a heatsink for any serious use. This has me concerned that even with the case the Pi is going to struggle with high bitrate 4K video. I haven't tested that yet because it's still WIP and I don't have a 4K TV, but consider it a live concern until someone confirms the Pi can handle streaming e.g. UHD Blurays without throttling or lag.

derders
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:26 pm

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:51 am

Kodi use 30-50% idle for one CPU core on main window GUI.
While playing video it is okay = no extra % on top of the normal video playback load.
I tried with different skins and Estuary has little bit lower CPU ~30%

with added <smartredraw>true< to advancedsettings.xml CPU lowers to 4-19%
but this setting has some problems with the GUI (par ex the progressbar not working)

tested on Libreelec and it works like it should... with ~5% max on idle
uninstalled and reinstalled too

have you guys the same problem?

bscphil
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:25 am

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:04 am

derders wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:51 am
Kodi use 30-50% idle for one CPU core on main window GUI.
While playing video it is okay = no extra % on top of the normal video playback load.
I tried with different skins and Estuary has little bit lower CPU ~30%

with added <smartredraw>true< to advancedsettings.xml CPU lowers to 4-19%
but this setting has some problems with the GUI (par ex the progressbar not working)

tested on Libreelec and it works like it should... with ~5% max on idle
uninstalled and reinstalled too

have you guys the same problem?
Yes, this is exactly what I see with this build too. Probably the reason it was throttling until I got a heatsink?

Also, I'm now getting a crash after I updated the OS (Raspbian). New kernel, new ffmpeg. So now I don't have a media center; awesome. Upgrade with extreme caution if at all until there's an official build out.

Code: Select all

2019-08-20 00:57:57.741 T:2972736816   ERROR: CWinSystemGbm::InitWindowSystem - failed to initialize Atomic DRM
2019-08-20 00:57:58.872 T:2972736816   ERROR: CWinSystemGbm::InitWindowSystem - failed to initialize Legacy DRM
2019-08-20 00:58:00.002 T:2972736816   ERROR: CWinSystemGbm::InitWindowSystem - failed to initialize off screen DRM
2019-08-20 00:58:00.002 T:2972736816   FATAL: CApplication::Create: Unable to init windowing system

amilino
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:01 pm

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:38 am

bscphil wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:04 am
derders wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:51 am
Kodi use 30-50% idle for one CPU core on main window GUI.
While playing video it is okay = no extra % on top of the normal video playback load.
I tried with different skins and Estuary has little bit lower CPU ~30%

with added <smartredraw>true< to advancedsettings.xml CPU lowers to 4-19%
but this setting has some problems with the GUI (par ex the progressbar not working)

tested on Libreelec and it works like it should... with ~5% max on idle
uninstalled and reinstalled too

have you guys the same problem?
Yes, this is exactly what I see with this build too. Probably the reason it was throttling until I got a heatsink?

Also, I'm now getting a crash after I updated the OS (Raspbian). New kernel, new ffmpeg. So now I don't have a media center; awesome. Upgrade with extreme caution if at all until there's an official build out.

Code: Select all

2019-08-20 00:57:57.741 T:2972736816   ERROR: CWinSystemGbm::InitWindowSystem - failed to initialize Atomic DRM
2019-08-20 00:57:58.872 T:2972736816   ERROR: CWinSystemGbm::InitWindowSystem - failed to initialize Legacy DRM
2019-08-20 00:58:00.002 T:2972736816   ERROR: CWinSystemGbm::InitWindowSystem - failed to initialize off screen DRM
2019-08-20 00:58:00.002 T:2972736816   FATAL: CApplication::Create: Unable to init windowing system

I just did an upgrade with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get upgrade
and Kodi is working fine. Not sure what is not working in your case?

derders
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:26 pm

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:44 am

amilino wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:38 am
bscphil wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:04 am
Also, I'm now getting a crash after I updated the OS (Raspbian). New kernel, new ffmpeg. So now I don't have a media center; awesome. Upgrade with extreme caution if at all until there's an official build out.

Code: Select all

2019-08-20 00:57:57.741 T:2972736816   ERROR: CWinSystemGbm::InitWindowSystem - failed to initialize Atomic DRM
2019-08-20 00:57:58.872 T:2972736816   ERROR: CWinSystemGbm::InitWindowSystem - failed to initialize Legacy DRM
2019-08-20 00:58:00.002 T:2972736816   ERROR: CWinSystemGbm::InitWindowSystem - failed to initialize off screen DRM
2019-08-20 00:58:00.002 T:2972736816   FATAL: CApplication::Create: Unable to init windowing system

I just did an upgrade with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get upgrade
and Kodi is working fine. Not sure what is not working in your case?
here too after upgrade no problem like yours

User avatar
innocent_bystander
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:30 pm

bscphil wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:00 am
bscphil wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:19 am
Some have mentioned that using a script to switch from an X server to a vterm before running Kodi makes it slow. However, I'm using this package on a minimal Raspbian installation with no GUI, and I'm still experiencing extreme slowness and laggy inputs in anything involving the Kodi GUI. Once a video starts, as long as I don't call up the GUI everything is okay.

Hopefully this is fixed when the official 18.3 package for Buster is released ... and hopefully it will be released soon.

Edit: also, when watching anything with subtitles, the subtitles (but not the video) flicker and tear.
Update: some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that the problem has gone away. It seems to have been the result of thermal throttling. I was just starting a movie in Kodi when I saw that my FLIRC case had arrived. CPU temperature of the bare board was ~68 C. I immediately shut it down and installed the case and resumed watching the movie. I noticed right away after restarting the Pi that the Kodi interface was no longer laggy, and by about an hour into the film the CPU temperature was up to ~54 C, where it remained the rest of the way. That's about +32 C over ambient. It's sitting there now, even with the screen off (but Kodi running), which seems a bit hot, but as long as the components are not stressed at that temperature and it doesn't throttle I'm okay with that.

The bad news is that it really doesn't seem like this should have been a problem. Thermal throttling just running the Kodi GUI seems to suggest that either opengl graphics are currently borked pretty badly and the CPU is taking the load instead of the GPU, or that the Pi 4 requires a heatsink for any serious use. This has me concerned that even with the case the Pi is going to struggle with high bitrate 4K video. I haven't tested that yet because it's still WIP and I don't have a 4K TV, but consider it a live concern until someone confirms the Pi can handle streaming e.g. UHD Blurays without throttling or lag.

@bscphil are you sure thermal throttling is your issue? Do you see the dreaded thermometer pop up on the screen?

I've been running my Pi with no heatsink and only seen it once (when I was copying something onto a USB). Otherwise, I've been watching movies (1080p h.265 HEVC) and playing music and never had any lag issues.
The motto of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is "Share and Enjoy."

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

bscphil
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:25 am

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:29 pm

innocent_bystander wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:30 pm
bscphil wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:00 am
bscphil wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:19 am
Some have mentioned that using a script to switch from an X server to a vterm before running Kodi makes it slow. However, I'm using this package on a minimal Raspbian installation with no GUI, and I'm still experiencing extreme slowness and laggy inputs in anything involving the Kodi GUI. Once a video starts, as long as I don't call up the GUI everything is okay.

Hopefully this is fixed when the official 18.3 package for Buster is released ... and hopefully it will be released soon.

Edit: also, when watching anything with subtitles, the subtitles (but not the video) flicker and tear.
Update: some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that the problem has gone away. It seems to have been the result of thermal throttling. I was just starting a movie in Kodi when I saw that my FLIRC case had arrived. CPU temperature of the bare board was ~68 C. I immediately shut it down and installed the case and resumed watching the movie. I noticed right away after restarting the Pi that the Kodi interface was no longer laggy, and by about an hour into the film the CPU temperature was up to ~54 C, where it remained the rest of the way. That's about +32 C over ambient. It's sitting there now, even with the screen off (but Kodi running), which seems a bit hot, but as long as the components are not stressed at that temperature and it doesn't throttle I'm okay with that.

The bad news is that it really doesn't seem like this should have been a problem. Thermal throttling just running the Kodi GUI seems to suggest that either opengl graphics are currently borked pretty badly and the CPU is taking the load instead of the GPU, or that the Pi 4 requires a heatsink for any serious use. This has me concerned that even with the case the Pi is going to struggle with high bitrate 4K video. I haven't tested that yet because it's still WIP and I don't have a 4K TV, but consider it a live concern until someone confirms the Pi can handle streaming e.g. UHD Blurays without throttling or lag.

@bscphil are you sure thermal throttling is your issue? Do you see the dreaded thermometer pop up on the screen?

I've been running my Pi with no heatsink and only seen it once (when I was copying something onto a USB). Otherwise, I've been watching movies (1080p h.265 HEVC) and playing music and never had any lag issues.

My understanding was that with the Pi 4, you should never see the thermometer icon because the Pi would actively manage the CPU frequency to keep the temperature out of the danger zone. If that's wrong, I suppose I wasn't seeing thermal throttling? I supposed that the frequencies were probably turned way down to keep it at only 68 C (where it was before installing the case). When I was on the Kodi "status" screen, it showed all 4 cores / threads at 100%, which I assumed was happening because the CPU couldn't handle the workload after being throttled. If that's not right, I can't explain why it suddenly started working with nothing more than a heatsink case - and the necessary reboot.

As for the crash, all I did was dist-upgrade and reboot; I got a new kernel (aug 19) and new ffmpeg. I'm running kodi-rpi4 directly from a vterm (this is a headless install). I get the error in kodi.log that I posted above. I don't think there's anything unusual about my setup other than that it's been upgraded from stretch to buster. Maybe I'll try reinstalling Kodi, not that that should make a difference.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5343
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:40 pm

bscphil wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:29 pm
My understanding was that with the Pi 4, you should never see the thermometer icon because the Pi would actively manage the CPU frequency to keep the temperature out of the danger zone. If that's wrong, I suppose I wasn't seeing thermal throttling?
That is wrong. No throttling will occur below 80'C and if you don't see the thermometer then you are not being throttled.

Note: the thermometer isn't "danger zone". It's just an indication that you are not running at full speed and a fan/heatsink may be beneficial. It is operating at a perfectly safe temperature. You can remove the thermometer with "disable_warnings=1" in config.txt.

bscphil
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:25 am

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:28 pm

dom wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:40 pm
bscphil wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:29 pm
My understanding was that with the Pi 4, you should never see the thermometer icon because the Pi would actively manage the CPU frequency to keep the temperature out of the danger zone. If that's wrong, I suppose I wasn't seeing thermal throttling?
That is wrong. No throttling will occur below 80'C and if you don't see the thermometer then you are not being throttled.

Note: the thermometer isn't "danger zone". It's just an indication that you are not running at full speed and a fan/heatsink may be beneficial. It is operating at a perfectly safe temperature. You can remove the thermometer with "disable_warnings=1" in config.txt.

Good to know, thanks. I guess this means I have no explanation for the following observations:

1. This build of Kodi was running, but with all four threads maxed out at least some of the time. Laggy GUI.
2. After installing a heatsink and rebooting, Kodi ran smoothly, though with one thread constantly at 50%.
3. After a dist-upgrade, Kodi is now not running at all - I get the "Unable to create GUI" error with the message in the log I posted above.


EDIT: sorry about the noise everyone. When I did the dist-upgrade, the contents of my /boot partition were overwritten and the config.txt file didn't have the required dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d line any more. That is why it was crashing. (Anyone else getting the crash should double check for that line in their config.txt.)

It's also back to running at 100% on all cores now. So the heat theory is definitely ruled out ... sometimes Kodi runs at 50% on one core, sometimes at 100% on all cores. Both are more than it should be using.

OK8
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:26 pm

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:30 pm

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

I recently purchased a Pi4 for the purpose of effectively turning my tv into a smart tv. This kodi build hits the nail on the head and I'm really happy to have installed it.

However, whenever I try to play any video, youtube or otherwise I only get a black screen. The player works fine and is responsive and I can hear audio but there is no video.

I have modified my config.txt according to the original post, but still the problem persists.

Has anyone else encountered such a problem or am I the only one?

Best regards,
Otto.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”