Browne

Car head unit

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:03 pm

Hi, I have been looking to replace my head unit with the raspberry pi 3b+ and 7 inch touch screen. I know everything that I need but i'm stuck on audio.
I can't just plug a headphone jack in because I will be removing the old radio completely. I am left with wiring the pi up to the speakers in the car myself.
I have a ford fiesta ztec s 2013. I believe it is only 2 speakers but might be more. How would i connect these speakers up to the pi and would I need an amp ect.
I am not sure about audio and that sort of thing but I have found everything else I need off here and youtube.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

drgeoff

Re: Car head unit

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:07 pm

Yes you need a power amp to drive the speakers.

Browne

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:22 pm

Is there a difference with digital or analogue and do you have any suggestions?
Also, how would i connect the speakers themselves? would i solder them to the amp?

drgeoff

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:44 pm

Browne wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:22 pm
Is there a difference with digital or analogue and do you have any suggestions?
Also, how would i connect the speakers themselves? would i solder them to the amp?
Depends on what the amp provides in the way of input and output connection points.

To be brutally frank, the questions you are asking makes me doubt that your level of competence is sufficient. Outcomes ranging from doesn't work through dead RPi, amp and speakers to a totally burnt out car caused by overheating in a wiring loom come to mind.

Browne

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:57 pm

I won't lie to you when it comes to audio i haven't got a clue which is why i am asking. From what i've gathered my car has 15-20W speakers unable to find more information than that so far.
From this would using the current wiring with a small amp with a 15-20W max work with a 3.5mm jack connected from the amp to the pi? will be testing all of this before it goes into the car anyways so if anything goes wrong it isn't going to be expensive.

Browne

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:33 pm

what i've got so far is the pi's 3.5mm jack to the amp (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1752) and then use the outputs on the board to the car speakers. would this work? Thanks

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”