PiPhin

Videocalls/conferencing with the Pi3B+?

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:54 am

So, every solution I find a tutorial or software for is atleast not mentained anymore or just vanished from earth.

The major goal is to call the Pi, automatically accept the call and respond with the a USB-camera video and audio without any interaction/buttonpress.

Skype is not avaible for the Pi, Exagear (to run Skype in Raspbian) does not exist anymore. Skype to go does not work in Chromium (the voice and video-call buttons are greyed out and if I call it I see no incoming call on the Pi.

The only "must": there must be a Android-app to make the call....

So, what now? :)

fruitoftheloom

Re: Videocalls/conferencing with the Pi3B+?

Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:03 am

PiPhin wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:54 am
So, every solution I find a tutorial or software for is atleast not mentained anymore or just vanished from earth.

The major goal is to call the Pi, automatically accept the call and respond with the a USB-camera video and audio without any interaction/buttonpress.

Skype is not avaible for the Pi, Exagear (to run Skype in Raspbian) does not exist anymore. Skype to go does not work in Chromium (the voice and video-call buttons are greyed out and if I call it I see no incoming call on the Pi.

The only "must": there must be a Android-app to make the call....

So, what now? :)

???????

https://www.linux-projects.org/rpi-vide ... e-demo-os/
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

PiPhin

Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:14 am

They write it is only for DEMO.... aaaand I see no hint what noob-user friendly app could connect to it...?
It sounds more like this is targeted for programmers to use it in their own work...?

PiGraham

Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:46 am

PiPhin wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:14 am
They write it is only for DEMO.... aaaand I see no hint what noob-user friendly app could connect to it...?
It sounds more like this is targeted for programmers to use it in their own work...?
While participants like PCs, smartphones and tablets need a browser (with no additional plug-in) to optionally share their camera and microphone and see the other participants in the same web page, the Raspberry Pi does not need this, as UV4L makes native use of all the available hardware (camera, microphone, display and speakers) to capture and render the streams and can be optionally controlled through the web interface.
Sounds reasonably noob friendly for callers. Just visit a web page. No app or plugin required.

rvrkdn

Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:20 am

I'm looking for the exact same thing, PiPhin! I want to chat with the cat while I'm away. =^.^= :)

Very cool suggestion about that UV4L/WebRTC demo image, but there's just one problem. The title of the article explicitly says:

"(except 3B+ atm)"

Like PiPhin, I too am looking for something for the 3B+. At least we know it's probably possible using these utilities by installing and configuring them ourselves, but the fact that they offered it all as a complete image makes me think it's not too simple to set up.

PiPhin

Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:59 am

I can confirm, doesn't work on the Pi3B+, it just keeps blinking and the power-icon shows up.
It is really annoying, there is absolute no working solution for this, not even close to anything "DIY".

And yup, I'm really not a programmer to get anything going myself by getting some single libraries :)
Streaming a webcam is done in a few minutes but getting a reliable 2-way-communication.... not possible.

rvrkdn

Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:09 am

Ooh, BUT.. I was able to follow the installation instructions (with the Raspbian Stretch repo) and got it to work on my 3B+.. woot! a single two way webRTC communication using the uv4l webapp, nothing more at this point.

I even connected to my Pi from my phone through webRTC with sound and saw the local and remote signal on my phone and my phone's camera view on the monitor connected to my Pi. Just pointed my phone's chrome browser to https://192.168.2.10:8090/stream/webrtc/ and clicked Call. Local network for now, but, I hope to port forward and open to something like duckdns later (search you tube for fish nerd uv4l to find a tutorial on that (near the end)).

So, I followed the installation instructions here:
- http://www.linux-project.org/uv4l/installation/

Most all applies except toward the bottom where it's raspicam specific. And it didn't install the systemd service for restarting uv4l either. But no matter.

Because my webcam is a USB Logitech 922s, I installed the uvc driver, too:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install uv4l-uvc
EDIT: Ignore this quoted stuff I wrote earlier. I found that by just rebooting, systemd/init.d automatically restarts using my uvc config file and apparently detecting my device, because after a reboot, when I connect with webrtc remotely, I see and send video, no problem.
Got the device-id using `lsusb`

Started uv4l with:

Code: Select all

uv4l --driver uvc --device-id 046d:085c --config-file=/etc/uv4l/uv4l-uv.conf
Since I have no restart service, I just added that to a batch file called startuv4l that I'm going to add to cron (there's a german youtube video on that but easy to follow even without understanding what he says... search uv4l autostart). For now, I stop the ervice with `pkill uv4l`. I dunno, I might look up how to write a systemd service script to restart it on bootup and if it stops.
I also configured https according to the installation instructions.. In the certificate file interview, I used a common name of just raspberrypi with no domain, and set the SSL config options in the /etc/uv4l/uv4l-uvc.conf file.

This post helped me, too, to make sure I installed the right things for uvc and specified things correctly on the command line:
https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/39690

WilsonsSFC

Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:08 pm

Hey I'm looking to do this exact same thing, two way video call/conference with automatic answering happening on the pi. I follow the above instructions on the site and rvrkdn but I just can't get the https working nor can I get two devices connected to each other. I can start up the server fine and go to the webrtc stream page. But from there it only shows the webcam connected to the pi. Did you guys find any more solutions to this? Or perhaps rvrkdn could you help me achieve the results you did?

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”