Desnee

Recording TV with Raspberry Pi

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:54 pm

I would like to build my own digital TV recording device using a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and a TV HAT. I will record DVB-T2 broadcasts. I plan on using an external USB HDD as a storage place where to save recorded TV programs. I would like to watch these recordings on my TV, which would be connected to the Pi with an HDMI-cable.

Is there something I should take into consideration doing this? Will this work?

rpdom

Re: Recording TV with Raspberry Pi

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:02 pm

Yes, it will work.
Yes, I do block a very small number of people.

No, I'm not going to name them. That would be childish.

johndavies

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:49 pm

You do not give any information on where you are based. If you are a UK TV Licence payer, there is a huge amount of TV and radio programmes which can be legally down loaded using get-iplayer. It is quicker and easier to use this to download BBC programmes than it is to use tvheadend and the TVHat. Some ITV programmes can be downloaded from the ITVHub using youtube-dl. Programmes from the Channel 4 family and the UK Freeview family can be watched (rather than copied) on other platforms using the Adobe Flash Player but I have not been able to run them on my Raspberry Pi. I have not made much effort to do so since there are so many other programmes I can watch. These programmes can, of course, be downloaded using tvheadend and the TVHat. As far as I know, tvheadend is the only Personal Video Recorder (PVR) which is relatively easy to set up and use on Raspbian . I have never seriously looked at Kodi and other operating systems . You might decide otherwise.

I have had no problems in setting up and using my Seagate 2 TB drive which is powered by a Pi USB socket. You would have to set an output for your destination files; mine is -o /media/pi/USBdisc/TV/filename. If you download the Minimal Kiosk Browser you get a very useful browser which can be dedicated for specific tasks but also a very useful media player called omxplayergui which can be set up to show various categories of media and play them. Omxplayergui works independently of the Minimal Kiosk Browser and does not need it to be running. An enhanced and accelerated verstion of the VLC Media Player is now automatically added to new downloads of Raspbian and this is very useful for playing and displaying live TV programmes. Programme lists can be set up in .m3u text files.

Desnee

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:43 am

johndavies wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:49 pm
You do not give any information on where you are based. If you are a UK TV Licence payer, there is a huge amount of TV and radio programmes which can be legally down loaded using get-iplayer. It is quicker and easier to use this to download BBC programmes than it is to use tvheadend and the TVHat. Some ITV programmes can be downloaded from the ITVHub using youtube-dl. Programmes from the Channel 4 family and the UK Freeview family can be watched (rather than copied) on other platforms using the Adobe Flash Player but I have not been able to run them on my Raspberry Pi. I have not made much effort to do so since there are so many other programmes I can watch. These programmes can, of course, be downloaded using tvheadend and the TVHat. As far as I know, tvheadend is the only Personal Video Recorder (PVR) which is relatively easy to set up and use on Raspbian . I have never seriously looked at Kodi and other operating systems . You might decide otherwise.
I live in Finland where (as far as I know) most popular public TV channels aren't available as IPTV (same as ITV?) broadcasts. So that's why I reckoned I need to record DVB-T2 programs.

https://www.digita.fi/en/services

Imperf3kt

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:44 am

What you propose is called time shifting and is legal in many countries but subject to conditions.
Wikipedia lacks information, but gives a general overview.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_shifting

You would probably need to check local laws on time shifting and possibly format shifting.

As an example, in Australia, time shifting is only legal on an analogue recording and you watch the recording (once) within one week and then destroy the media afterwards. Not that I think anybody actually follows the law...
Some sauce
https://www.alrc.gov.au/publications/9- ... urrent-law
Google is ubiquitous - Try it today, it's free!
https://opensource.com/life/16/10/how-ask-technical-questions

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”