matteoraggi

FBI is hardware accelerated?

Fri May 24, 2019 2:07 am

FBI is hardware accelerated for the images like omxplayer is hardware accelerated for videos?
Raspberry Pi 3 model B - Raspbian 8 Jessie and buster and ubuntu core server 18 lts

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: FBI is hardware accelerated?

Fri May 24, 2019 8:52 am

No, it's all done in software I believe. The HW JPEG decoder isn't actually any faster than the faster ARM's on recent Pi's at decoding JPEG, once you take in the data transfers time to and from the GPU.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Mortimer

Fri May 24, 2019 9:08 am

Even if it isn't actually any faster, presumably it is still beneficial to use it if doing lots of conversions so the ARM remains free to do other things that the GPU can't?
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

jamesh

Fri May 24, 2019 9:24 am

Mortimer wrote:
Even if it isn't actually any faster, presumably it is still beneficial to use it if doing lots of conversions so the ARM remains free to do other things that the GPU can't?
There's quite an overhead in getting the data to and from the GPU (a chunk of SDRAM bandwidth), so its going to be a pretty specific use case where, with 4 fast ARM cores, it's better to use the GPU. AUIU, the latest ARMs are quite a bit faster.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

6by9

Fri May 24, 2019 10:37 am

jamesh wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:24 am
Mortimer wrote:
There's quite an overhead in getting the data to and from the GPU (a chunk of SDRAM bandwidth), so its going to be a pretty specific use case where, with 4 fast ARM cores, it's better to use the GPU. AUIU, the latest ARMs are quite a bit faster.
IIRC On a previous chip with dual 1.2GHz ARM A9's, the threshold was at around XGA.
It also depends what you want to then do with the image. If you can pass it directly to the display without it leaving the GPU then you can save some more performance as the ARM doesn't have to resize the image to fit the frame buffer. Horses for courses though as that requires a fair amount of Pi specfiic code to be written.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

matteoraggi

Fri May 24, 2019 10:51 am

I just want to do a slideshow of 10-150 .png images 1920x1080or 1080x1920 with a blend transition of half second. So the blend transition risk to be scattering. Not smooth cause of the not accelerated hardware?
Raspberry Pi 3 model B - Raspbian 8 Jessie and buster and ubuntu core server 18 lts

tvjon

Fri May 24, 2019 11:04 am

jamesh wrote:
...The HW JPEG decoder isn't actually any faster than the faster ARM's on recent Pi's at decoding JPEG, once you take in the data transfers time to and from the GPU.

That has not been my experience...

Viewing the contents of a 30000+ folder of not too big photo's, Broadcom's jpeg decoder is significantly faster. Holding down the relevant "next" key is like watching a video.

Once upon a time what bits of code I wrote were designed to be as general purpose as practical. For the last few years it's been *only* able to run on ARM®, & more specifically some bits just on Broadcom's VC4.

6by9

Fri May 24, 2019 11:21 am

matteoraggi wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:51 am
I just want to do a slideshow of 10-150 .png images 1920x1080or 1080x1920 with a blend transition of half second. So the blend transition risk to be scattering. Not smooth cause of the not accelerated hardware?
Png decode is not hardware accelerated even in the gpu. In places it uses the gpu's vector processor (equivalent in neon) , but not dedicated hardware.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

matteoraggi

Fri May 24, 2019 11:31 am

Sowhich image format can be hardware accelerated??

6by9

Fri May 24, 2019 12:02 pm

matteoraggi wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:31 am
Sowhich image format can be hardware accelerated??
JPEG.

Gavinmc42

Fri May 24, 2019 12:03 pm

h.264 was the only video hardware acceleration, but I think mjpeg might be too now?
Jpeg is the only still image acceleration.
These are done with the VC4.

But I think they are explaining that the new 3B+ quad core can do it faster in software.
Is there any particular library that is faster than others?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

jamesh

Fri May 24, 2019 12:25 pm

tvjon wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:04 am
jamesh wrote:
...The HW JPEG decoder isn't actually any faster than the faster ARM's on recent Pi's at decoding JPEG, once you take in the data transfers time to and from the GPU.

That has not been my experience...

Viewing the contents of a 30000+ folder of not too big photo's, Broadcom's jpeg decoder is significantly faster. Holding down the relevant "next" key is like watching a video.
Really? I would expect a NEON accelerated JPEG decode to be faster than the HW decoder. prerhaps just for larger images? What library were you using for SW decode?

6by9

Fri May 24, 2019 12:42 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:03 pm
h.264 was the only video hardware acceleration, but I think mjpeg might be too now?
For video formats, H264, MPEG4, H263, MPEG2, and VC1 all have hardware acceleration. They are pretty much extensions of each other (H264 being the most complex), so the operations are similar.
MJPEG is a concatenation of JPEGs, therefore reuses the JPEG hardware block.
VP6 and VP8 decode have vector implementations but no dedicated hardware blocks.
Gavinmc42 wrote:Jpeg is the only still image acceleration.
JPEG is the only format using dedicated hardware blocks.
Again PNG, GIF, BMP, TGA, TIF, and PPM all have some level of vector acceleration.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”