RpiName

NEW: webapp for Screen + Speakers + keyboard sharing in the browser (no plugin required)

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:23 pm

From a recent tutorial at:
https://www.linux-projects.org/uv4l/tut ... d-sharing/
Here is an example of how to configure the Raspberry Pi to serve a web app which allows the Raspberry Pi to share its screen and speakers (“what you hear”) to the PC browser. Additionally, thanks to a virtual keyboard running on the Raspberry Pi, it will be possible to emulate the keypresses captured and sent from within the web page in the browser.

To summarize, this is the list of features:
  • clientless, meaning that only a browser is necessary on the client side and that no browser plugins are required;
  • no dependencies on third-party software components on the Raspberry Pi side: UV4L does all the magic (e.g. HTTP/HTTPS web server);
  • use of secure and standard web technologies only, like WebRTC;
  • can optionally “share the display” (everything on it, not just X screens): in facts, the frame buffer is captured and there is no need to install an X Server;
  • can optionally share the what you hear audio: for example, if you a play music file on the Raspberry Pi, you will hear the sound coming out from the PC speakers;
  • optionally headless Raspberry Pi: it does not matter if you have or not real display and speakers connected to it;
  • keyboard emulation: what you type in the page is actuated on the Raspberry Pi;
  • efficient, e.g. by using H264 hardware encoding and other optimized pipelines;
  • no latency;
  • can be password-protected;
  • for developers: the web app is implemented with the React JS Library, so it can be easily debugged or further customized (e.g. with nodejs).

Andyroo

Re: NEW: webapp for Screen + Speakers + keyboard sharing in the browser (no plugin required)

Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:35 pm

Neat and clever but with VNC and SSH I’m struggling to see why I would need this...

Even on the Intel Linux boxes I can get to them.

Maybe a solution looking for a problem :?:

Or am I missing something :oops:

RpiName

Re: NEW: webapp for Screen + Speakers + keyboard sharing in the browser (no plugin required)

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:30 am

Andyroo wrote:
Neat and clever but with VNC and SSH I’m struggling to see why I would need this...
VNC + SSH is the past, now that everything tends to be done in the browser with standard web technologies. This example is a step in this direction and part of a bigger picture where you can just use the browser to bidirectionally stream audio video and data in an efficient and secure manner.

Andyroo

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:24 pm

RpiName wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:30 am
Andyroo wrote:
VNC + SSH is the past, now that everything tends to be done in the browser with standard web technologies. This example is a step in this direction and part of a bigger picture where you can just use the browser to bidirectionally stream audio video and data in an efficient and secure manner.
Heard the exact statement from Novell, Microsoft, VMWare and Citrix over the years and in all cases ended up having to use ‘normal’ tools to do some jobs. In all cases, the change in browser technology catches them out - was once stuck with a web based app that would only run on Windows 2000 due to it being coded for the ‘then standard web technologies’. Cruel thing was it was a business critical system and had to run. Been caught even by Samsung - you had to use a specific version of Chrome to complete the registration form to get the kit registered - our corporate account manager got that job...

But I wish you luck - who knows I may need it one day and another option to get into a machine never hurts and has saved me a call out trip to the far end of the country before now.

RpiName

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:37 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:24 pm
Heard the exact statement from Novell, Microsoft, VMWare and Citrix over the years and in all cases ended up having to use ‘normal’ tools to do some jobs. In all cases, the change in browser technology catches them out - was once stuck with a web based app that would only run on Windows 2000 due to it being coded for the ‘then standard web technologies’. Cruel thing was it was a business critical system and had to run. Been caught even by Samsung - you had to use a specific version of Chrome to complete the registration form to get the kit registered - our corporate account manager got that job...
I am talking about WebRTC. It's a standard in its final stage being developed by the IETF if you know what this means. And it's already *natively* supported by all modern browsers, including Chrome, Edge, etc...

https://www.w3.org/TR/webrtc/

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”