RPi_Mike

Re: GIANT UPDATE: Build FFmpeg and mpv – Automatically in 54 Minutes!

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:57 pm

AN UPDATE FROM RPI_MIKE: RASPBERRY PI 4 AND RASPBIAN BUSTER

Until just two weeks ago, my automated script built a state-of-the-art, GPU-accelerated software suite with the most advanced Raspberry technologies available — the Raspberry Pi 3 and the Raspbian Stretch operating system.

That all changed on June 24, 2019.

On that epic day, the Raspberry Pi Foundation simultaneously launched two fundamentally new and exciting technologies — the Raspberry Pi 4 and the Raspbian Buster operating system.

That's a lot for one day — new hardware AND new software!

As I clearly indicate in my current instructions, my automated script is specifically designed to work on the Raspberry 3 with Raspbian Stretch. And it continues to work just fine on that platform. But it will NOT work on the brand-new Raspbian Buster — on either the Raspberry 3 or the Raspberry 4.

With more than 90,000 views of my tutorial, I know that many people around the world have come to enjoy my custom-built software suite. I never expected such an enthusiastic response when I signed up on this website 19 months ago and randomly published my work — which also happened to be my very first post on this site!

Going forward, I will maintain my established practice of supporting the latest hardware. After all, this is very intense multimedia software with more than one million lines of code. So it only makes sense that I focus my one-man resources on the best technology available.

That means the next generation of my script will be designed exclusively for the Raspberry Pi 4.

I will, however, keep the existing version of my script as an archived post.

I've already built a working prototype of the software on the RPi 4. So far, for the most part, I like what I see.

But I just got my shiny new Raspberry a week ago and Buster still has some teething issues. That's to be expected with any major new generation of technology.

And as some of you may know, I have other projects going on as well — like my image-viewing solution that's pinned to the top of this room as a "sticky".

So, what happens next?

I'm going to let the dust settle for a while as the Foundation continues to refine Buster.

I will then publish an entirely new generation of my script with even more software than before.

It may be a week or it may be a month. I'll see how it goes.

Whatever the case, I'd rather do it right than do it fast!

Stay tuned my fellow nerds,

—RPi_Mike

dwighte

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:29 pm

Pi 3 A+ success
Great news about the Pi4 stuff in the works! That makes this post a little backwards...anyway, I wanted to put together a compact security camera system so I went with a 3 A+. But I wanted good video processing of course.

After a bit of trial and error I successfully compiled by following the script exactly (except the A+ isn't specifically mentioned) with the following change:
1. In STEP 3, instead set GPU to 16Mb (before compilation)
2. Set swap size to 1024 (Mb)
3. Set GPU to 128Mb after compilation

So basically I just temporarily expanded the A+'s meagre memory to allow ffmpeg to compile successfully. I'm very much a newbie so this simple change took me quite a while to get to!

The image I used was 2019-04-08 (the latest Stretch version).

Burntthumbs

Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:54 am

Thanks, @RPi_Mike, for the fine work and entertaining responses! I am in fear of your greatness so please go easy on me as I know my question is of no interest to you:

Can you please elaborate on @Bemused 's post https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0#p1369012
on exactly what needs to be changed with your script for me to use libmpv?

I really have looked everywhere but I'm handicapped by my lack of Linux fundamentals (getting better though!) I now welcome you to bite my head off!

sterlingy

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:22 am

RPi_Mike,

I'm glad to say that I got your script working on the first attempt. I found your instructions perfect. However, I am having some issues and I don't know if it is related to this setup or my lack of knowledge. I assume the latter, of course.

I am trying to stream the Pi Camera V2 and pick up the stream using VLC, on another system. I should point out that I have it streaming to Twitch, so something is working. I don't care which protocol is used, as long as it is stutter free and at the highest framerate possible.

I read somewhere that FFmpeg can not use the hardware encoders when streaming, is this true? That doesn't make sense to me.

If I use the following on the Pi:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -re -i video.mp4 -vcodec copy -an -f rtp rtp://10.0.2.166:8160 > config.sdp
and in another terminal on the same Raspberry Pi, I use:

ffplay config.sdp

I will see the playback, but it is on the same machine. Pointless, other than proof that the stream exists.

Moving forward, I have another program for facial tracking (on Win10), but it requires a webcam as input, so I need to convert the stream, being read on Win10 into something the system sees as a webcam. I can do this with VLC, which is then interpreted by another program and then seen by the tracking program.

Here's the problem

When I use VLC, on a Windows 10 machine, it doesn't see the stream from the Raspberry Pi, and I suspect it has to do with the sdp file, as I have no idea how it is utilized with VLC.

Any thoughts or alternative ideas are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Sterling
Stick with the flock, end up a lamb chop

fagol

Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:28 pm

Hello, I can not find a solution to my problem despite my research:
for information:
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Raspbian
Description: Raspbian GNU/Linux 9.9 (stretch)
Release: 9.9
Codename: stretch

and after the sript : the most inportant mistake

------------------------------
Now installing FFmpeg. This will take about 7 minutes.

sudo: checkinstall: command not found
Now building mpv. This will take about 2 minutes.

The project was not configured: run "waf configure" first!
Now installing mpv. This will take about 1 minute.

sudo: checkinstall: command not found
vidware: line 600: mpv: command not found

vidware: line 604: mpv: command not found

thanks a lot

RPi_Mike

Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:24 pm

fagol wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:28 pm
Hello, I can not find a solution to my problem despite my research..... and after the sript : the most inportant mistake..... sudo: checkinstall: command not found

I've been VERY busy for the past several weeks with other projects unrelated to the Raspberry — but I just wanted to chime in here real quick:

The only "mistake" is with (1) your internet connection and/or (2) a temporary problem with the external download servers and/or (3) your system being "messed up" and/or (4) not following my instructions to the letter.

Aside from the fact my script is thoroughly tested and proven to work, it's easy for me to display such well-earned confidence:

My script automatically installs checkinstall before it does anything else — yet you get the error message "checkinstall: command not found". If the command isn't found, that means the program doesn't even exist on your system! And that, in turn, means that some EXTERNAL factor, completely unrelated to my script, interfered with its proper execution. Simple as that.

So if you're not an expert — and I suspect you aren't, given your question — my best quick advice is to back up your important files and completely NUKE your system by re-burning Raspbian Stretch Desktop — and then start all over again from scratch!

That's just how it rolls in the present era of computing. Perhaps, in 30 to 60 years, a superintelligent A.I. will automatically "fix whatever it is" — but we aren't quite there yet.

rpdom

Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:46 pm

RPi_Mike wrote:
I've been VERY busy for the past several weeks with other projects unrelated to the Raspberry
Irrelevant.
The only "mistake" is with (1) your internet connection and/or (2) a temporary problem with the external download servers and/or (3) your system being "messed up" and/or (4) not following my instructions to the letter.

Aside from the fact my script is thoroughly tested and proven to work, it's easy for me to display such well-earned confidence:
Well, obviously your script does not work because it can't cope with a simple error from one of the commands it runs.

One of the basic principles of scripting is CHECK THAT THE COMMAND YOU RAN WORKED before blindly going ahead and assuming it did.
So if you're not an expert — and I suspect you aren't
Maybe one day you will be an "expert", but not yet.

innocent_bystander

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:11 pm

RPi_Mike wrote:
So if you're not an expert ... completely NUKE your system ... and then start all over again from scratch!

That's just how it rolls in the present era of computing.

Yeah... Somehow, I don't think so...
The motto of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is "Share and Enjoy."

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

RPi_Mike

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:22 pm

rpdom wrote:
Well, obviously your script does not work.....

Unfortunately for you, your words were automatically nullified before you even wrote them!

That's because I explicitly indicated in my instructions that my script is "vulnerable" to external factors, such as the reliability of the person's internet connection — and whether or not they have a clean, undamaged, perfectly "normal" copy of the operating system.

That's a perfectly reasonable "baseline" I deliberately chose.

Sure, I could have placed automated checks for EXTERNAL issues at every step — but that also would have cluttered-up my clean code and made it longer and more complicated. I could have also used the read command to first hit the users of my script with a detailed questionnaire to make certain they actually read my instructions!

As long as I carefully qualify the nature of my script in advance, it is my perfectly valid right to structure it as I see fit.

Your most glaring mistake, however, is your confusion about a simple difference in design PHILOSOPHY — and your failed attempt to convert that into the grossly inaccurate statement that my script "does not work". A difference in design philosophy and presentation does NOT constitute a technical mistake!

Under the specific conditions explicitly required in my tutorial, my script not only works well — it works PERFECTLY.

I discovered long ago on this site that not only do you need to be technically competent, you also need to think like a lawyer and carefully qualify everything. Because if you don't, there are plenty of people on here that will see it as a delicious opportunity to play "gotcha"! Your post is a classic example of that.

Nice try, though.

rpdom

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:37 pm

RPi_Mike wrote:
rpdom wrote:
Well, obviously your script does not work.....
Unfortunately for you, your words were automatically nullified before you even wrote them!
Sadly for you one day you will realise that the world does not revolve around you and your basic scripting abilities.

Try writing real code that can't cope with even the simplest of exception conditions and it doesn't matter how much bluster and wordiness you use, you will soon find yourself out of a job.

innocent_bystander

RPi_Mike wrote:
Nice try, though.

@Hey Mike, I admire the vigor with which you make others wrong and yourself right. :D

I do not wish to engage in argument with you whether your philosophy is correct or not, but I will offer one small piece of advice:

Create .deb packages for FFmpeg and mpv and distribute them instead of (or in addition to) your script. Believe you me, you will save yourself and others countless headaches.

That's my 2 cents (or 2 pence -- depending on where you live) for you good sir.

Share and enjoy.

To show appreciation for our efforts, please deposit any amount into our Nutri-Matic Drinks Dispenser: https://paypal.me/buy1coffee4me

innocent_bystander

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:41 pm

rpdom wrote:
... it doesn't matter how much bluster and wordiness you use, you will soon find yourself out of a job.

@rpdom, I must admit, I do enjoy reading his rebuttals, so long they are not directed at me. :lol:

RPi_Mike

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:52 pm

rpdom wrote:
the world does not revolve around you..... Try writing real code..... bluster and wordiness you use..... you will soon find yourself out of a job.

The surest sign that someone has thoroughly lost an argument is when they resort to ad hominem.

scruss

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:30 pm

Suggestion: since some people in the thread are having problems with checkinstall, maybe after the apt line add:

if
    [ -z "$(which checkinstall)" ]
then
    echo BAD THINGS HAVE GONE DOWN ... exiting
    exit 1
fi
You can't blame a user for not seeing an error message scroll off the screen. You could even put set -e near the top of the script so the script would halt on error.

Also, code tags around the script would make it much easier for users to copy
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

RPi_Mike

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:32 pm

scruss wrote:
Suggestion: since some people in the thread are having problems with checkinstall.....

I love how the report of ONE user out of nearly 100,000 page views — enough to completely fill a giant football stadium — suddenly becomes "some people" are having "problems" with checkinstall — as though this is some newly-emerging phenomenon that needs to be addressed!

There's definitely no problem with checkinstall. I just installed it and it works just fine.

And how vexing — I already took the time a few hours ago to explain I could have chosen to run automated checks of EVERY externality — but it was a deliberate design decision NOT to do that. I'm not against running checks, but I just didn't wish to take that approach in that particular script. Instead, I chose to base it on a clean, stable system with a reliable internet connection. That's certainly not an unreasonable "baseline" — especially when it's made explicitly clear in the instructions!

scruss wrote:
Also, code tags around the script would make it much easier for users to copy

Ugh. This is yet another conscious design decision of mine — not an oversight. People may have other approaches, but almost everything I do is (1) deliberate and (2) has a whole bunch of thought behind it. It gets tiresome having to constantly justify my perfectly rational decisions. In this case, I even explained to a moderator why I sometimes choose NOT to use a code box. If it's good enough for them, it should be good enough for you!

scruss

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:18 am

RPi_Mike wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:32 pm
There's definitely no problem with checkinstall. I just installed it and it works just fine.
Yes, there's no problem with checkinstall — if apt actually downloads it. But sometimes the mirrors aren't working and apt can't find them. What then? Make it the fault of the user?

This is why checks in scripts are a good idea. Your design philosophy to avoid checks is not a valid one. But it will keep learners beholden to you, and I think you kinda like that.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

RPi_Mike

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:06 am

scruss wrote:
Yes, there's no problem with checkinstall — if apt actually downloads it. But sometimes the mirrors aren't working and apt can't find them. What then? Make it the fault of the user?

As you'll see below, your comment reveals that you didn't even read my instructions — because I explicitly addressed that issue in my tutorial!

This is a philosophical matter, not a technical matter. I deliberately chose to put a tiny "burden" on the users to simply make sure they had a reliable internet connection and that the remote servers responded — and I made that very reasonable obligation explicit.

Do as you wish in your scripts, and I'll do as I wish in mine. My target audience is general hobbyists — my goal has never been to make pre-packaged retail software for Apple or Microsoft, where I wouldn't be able to assume the end user even knows what an internet connection is! For mass-marketed software, you and I would probably agree — an automated check would have to exist for EVERY external possibility! You would have to dumb things down to the max. But that has never been my goal on a "nerd-centric" site like this — so my design philosophy is perfectly appropriate.

Finally, just to prove how well I anticipated all the possibilities — and how thorough and complete my instructions are — here's a verbatim warning directly from my tutorial:

WARNING #2: My script takes less than an hour to complete and does not require any human intervention. So you can relax and have a sandwich while your Raspberry does all the hard work! However, be aware that the script is "vulnerable" for the first 2 to 3 minutes. I designed it on purpose to download everything it needs at the beginning – so that once it gets past that point, it's completely independent of the outside world (except for the very end where it downloads youtube-dl and a brief demonstration video). Just know that during the first couple minutes, my script is obviously at the mercy of your Internet connection – and is dependent on all the remote servers being fully up and running (GitHub, RaspberryPi.org, etc.). Since my script has no control over these external factors, it's a good idea to watch it at the beginning to make sure it gets through that phase. If it doesn't, my best advice is to stop everything and delete all 3 script-related folders – Vidware_Downloads, Vidware_Build, and Vidware_Packages – and just re-boot and start all over again at a later time!

rpdom

Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:29 am

RPi_Mike wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:06 am
scruss wrote:

As you'll see below, your comment reveals that you didn't even read my instructions — because I explicitly addressed that issue in my tutorial!

This is a philosophical matter, not a technical matter. I deliberately chose to put a tiny "burden" on the users to simply make sure they had a reliable internet connection and that the remote servers responded — and I made that very reasonable obligation explicit.
So again it all boils down to you can't be bothered to write a proper script and you will always blame the user when something you write doesn't do it's job properly.

RPi_Mike

Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:52 am

rpdom wrote:
So again it all boils down to you can't be bothered to write a proper script and you will always blame the user when something you write doesn't do it's job properly.

This is absurd!

Even a team of world-class computer experts from Stanford, MIT, UC Berkeley and the University of Cambridge would NOT be able to write a script that could access a server when the server is truly down — or use an internet connection when no connection exists.

So if that expert-written script needed those external resources to "do its job properly", it would fail as well!

Your only quibble — which is purely philosophical — is whether I should waste my time inserting a whole series of code-based checks to formally announce those external failures (even though the Terminal output already reveals that information).

Instead, I chose to include an up-front, explicit warning in my instructions that those extremely basic external resources must be available for my script to work — a perfectly reasonable approach for a hobbyist-oriented project page.

But since this seems to be an overwhelming concern for you — a concern never expressed by anyone in nearly 100,000 page views of my tutorial — you're welcome to modify my script and insert as many external checks as you wish!

The funniest thing about this is that I've been sitting on a beautiful new script I wrote for the Raspberry Pi 4 that actually DOES incorporate some external checks. Why? Because I chose to do things a little differently this time — as is my right. I just haven't had the time to do the associated write-up before I finally publish it. I've been super busy with other stuff, so I'm not exactly sure when I'll get around to it.

rpdom

Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:23 am

RPi_Mike wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:52 am
rpdom wrote:
This is absurd!
You are correct there.

The script should recognise that a command has failed and stop. It should alert the user as to what has gone wrong.

It should not blunder on mindlessly assuming that everything is right in its tiny little world and spew out obscure messages that the inexperienced user (which is what this simplistic script seems to be targeted too) will not understand and casue possible panic.

RPi_Mike

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:30 am

rpdom wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:23 am
casue possible panic.

I've already addressed this matter with a well-written and detailed response — so I'm not going to rehash this all over again.

Users were explicitly told to watch the first couple minutes to make sure the initial downloads worked. You obviously feel that's an excessive burden for a free script from a volunteer. I disagree.

So there ya go — discussing this further is pointless.

rpdom

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:55 pm

RPi_Mike wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:30 am
Users were explicitly told to watch the first couple minutes to make sure the initial downloads worked. You obviously feel that's an excessive burden for a free script from a volunteer. I disagree.
Yes. I consider it lazy scripting. Consider if you will that pretty much all the Debian based software used on the Pi is free scripts or programs from volunteers. Yet people are quick to complain if they don't work exactly as they want.
So there ya go — discussing this further is pointless.
Yup. Bored now. Bye.

jonny789

Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:17 pm

Hi,

Following your guide on the first page & making few minor changes , mpv is working perfectly in Buster on Raspberry Pi 3. :D
Here are the changes, I made:
I checked for the Latest versions on official sites and downloaded them.
Everything got compiled and installed successfully until mpv.

Changes are needed only for mpv :

cd  /home/pi/Vidware_Build/mpv/
sed -i_BACKUP '772s|GLESv2|brcmGLESv2|g' /home/pi/Vidware_Build/mpv/wscript
Applied the patch from here : https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/6838

wget  https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/files/3458510/0001-6838-Fix-rpi-compile-issues.patch.txt
patch  -p1  <  0001-6838-Fix-rpi-compile-issues.patch.txt
Then mpv compiled successfully and ran perfectly.

Thanks for your Guide. :)

jordiblanchcarles

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:12 pm

Hello jonny789,

could you please explain with a little more detail what have you done to make mpv work in Buster? I've tried what you have said, download the latest versions of everything, change the line you are indicating in vidware script and apply the patch to mpv, and mpv compiles, but playing any file results in a lot of lost frames, segmentation faults, etc...

Did you follow step by step vidware script? Or did you jump any step because it was not needed?

Thank you very much!

jonny789

Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:50 am

jordiblanchcarles wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:12 pm
Hello jonny789,

could you please explain with a little more detail what have you done to make mpv work in Buster? I've tried what you have said, download the latest versions of everything, change the line you are indicating in vidware script and apply the patch to mpv, and mpv compiles, but playing any file results in a lot of lost frames, segmentation faults, etc...

Did you follow step by step vidware script? Or did you jump any step because it was not needed?

Thank you very much!
First of all, I downloaded the latest versions available and followed the instructions exactly said in the guide except making minor changes in `sudo checkinstall -y --pkgname _PACKAGE_NAME_ --pkgversion _VERSION_ make install` by changing _VERSION_ with the version of package. All programs upto ffmpeg built successfully.
I needed to make major change for mpv only as told in my previous comment. Downloaded mpv v0.29.1 .
I made only two changes , First in

sed -i_BACKUP '772s|GLESv2|brcmGLESv2|g' /home/pi/Vidware_Build/mpv/wscript
Then applied the patch:
wget https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/files ... .patch.txt
patch -p1 < 0001-6838-Fix-rpi-compile-issues.patch.txt
I just skipped the changes that are applied to '/home/pi/Vidware_Build/mpv/audio/out/ao_alsa.c' and '/home/pi/Vidware_Build/mpv/player/main.c'. I think these are not needed now.
Note that I am running it on RASPBERRY PI 3 running Buster and I have faced no issues so far.
'

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”