jmcdufff

Circle TFT Display?

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:58 pm

So I found this old radio that I thought would be really cool to re-purpose into an internet radio. But the issue at hand is that a square screen just won't fit with the design of the radio. I've been looking and I can't find anything the remotely resembles a circular LCD display. Can anyone help me in this regard? If not, does anyone know if I could not use a circular display but use graphics that are the dimensions of the screen? What I'm trying to do is pretty easy but I have a lot graphic design background so I could easily come up with the design of it. Needless to say I'm pretty new at this whole Raspberry pi deal but I'm learning daily new stuff about it.

Pomgonewalkabout

Re: Circle TFT Display?

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:32 am

Not sure if this helps but what I have done in one of my projects is to have a background title image displayed that I designed in Photoshop that has a keyhole with a transparent background.
Behind the image a series of pictures is displayed that move around and change.

Maybe you could draw a transparent circle the size of the speaker cutout and display that on a monitor placed behind the cutout.

The only problem is that the edges of the video footage will be missing but if you only want to display graphics then you can set where they appear within the circle by setting your coordinates.

A circular monitor would be great I agree.

http://deangale.com/south-australian-hi ... agination/

aBUGSworstnightmare

Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:09 pm

You will (most likely) not get hands on a circular display (yes, there are some out there), so what can be done is using a rectangular display and add a masking piece to it, leaving only the required diameter open (post a picture of your radio so we know what your talking about).
Can you give us an idea on the required diameter?

Masking displays off is quite common in automotive i.e.

Regarding content you can do it as poster above described already, or - in case of moving images - i.e. by using omxplayer window command for setting position and size (i.e. on black background).

PiGraham

Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:19 pm

There are lots of small round displays to be found fort smart watches but I'm guessing you want something larger. Here is 3.3 inch, 60mm active diameter
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 173.0q4bhO

None I have seen are plug and play with Pi and will need a driver board.

An alternative could be to use a rectangular display masked by a circular hole and display in the circular region aligned with the hole. Maybe you could 3d print a bezel to the rectangle to the round hole.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:32 pm

min. order quantity 100pcs might be a bit to much for one radio :shock: 8-) :lol:

PiGraham

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:13 am

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:32 pm
min. order quantity 100pcs might be a bit to much for one radio :shock: 8-) :lol:

That's a spectacularly unhelpful post. I gave an indication of the sort of things that are available, not a recommendation to buy. As I said, it's not well suited to Pi as-is. :roll:
In any case many suppliers will supply sample quantities. Many distributers of such items will sell in smaller quantities. Other sellers may have different MO. This is a pointer that might just lead somewhere. Try to be more constructive next time.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”