bernyone

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:18 am

Scally wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:09 pm

I've just replaced my power supply with the official 5.1v, 2.5A unit from the pihut. But I'm still observing some very strange behaviour. When I first start up, the responses to the joystick and e.g. coin button are pretty fast. But once I select a song to play, the delays slowly creep up, first to about 7 seconds, then, even when the song is finished, eventually to about 30seconds.

As I don't see any delays using the 2 USB controllers elsewhere, nor when I run with your --test-buttons option, I am still wondering if it might be something to do with fruitbox? I'd be more than happy to run some additional debug (with the Jessie version), if you think it could help. I also added max_usb_current=1 to the boot/config,txt file, but that saw no effect.
Thanks in advance.
Did you solve the button lag?
I've had the same issue but it's intermittent for me, it usually occurs on first boot after I've made changes to fruitbox I.e added mp3s, switched out the track folder etc
But it disappears after a few reboots so I'm completely baffled as to what causes the lag,
I use a mixture of gpio buttons and the Dragon rise usb buttons and it effects all the buttons regardless of how they are connected to the pi so I'm assuming it's not the usb connection that's at fault as was suggested in this thread earlier..

Would be nice to pin this issue down as it's the only real issue I have with FRUITBOX

bernyone

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:35 am

fruitbox wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:34 pm

Hi Jon

There's no way to jump to next track, but you can configure fruitbox to chose a random song from a particular genre.

*EDITED TO SAVE PAGE SPACE....*

Cheers,
Mike
Hi Mike
Sorry for the delay in responding to this but didn't really have the time to experiment until this morning

As this is in the "big juke" I don't really want to be messing around with how it's set up as its pretty much spot on now I.e autorun on power up so it's a stand alone unit and I have to say about as idiotproof as could possibly be

The work around I've come up with is as basic as you can get
I have made genre folders and just switch them out by renaming them and deleting the db remotely from my laptop.

It's not exactly how I'd like it to work as it takes a few minutes but it does work and I don't need to touch the jukebox and thats the important bit

Cheers once again Mike

Jon

fruitbox

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:47 am

bernyone wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:35 am
fruitbox wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:34 pm

Hi Jon

There's no way to jump to next track, but you can configure fruitbox to chose a random song from a particular genre.

*EDITED TO SAVE PAGE SPACE....*

Cheers,
Mike
Hi Mike
Sorry for the delay in responding to this but didn't really have the time to experiment until this morning

As this is in the "big juke" I don't really want to be messing around with how it's set up as its pretty much spot on now I.e autorun on power up so it's a stand alone unit and I have to say about as idiotproof as could possibly be

The work around I've come up with is as basic as you can get
I have made genre folders and just switch them out by renaming them and deleting the db remotely from my laptop.

It's not exactly how I'd like it to work as it takes a few minutes but it does work and I don't need to touch the jukebox and thats the important bit

Cheers once again Mike

Jon
Hi Jon,

You could always run fruitbox with the --choose-cfg option...

Code: Select all

sudo ./fruitbox --choose-cfg genres.txt
Before that, create a file called "genres.txt" which has a list of skin config files in (see skins.txt as an example).

But in your case, you will just have the same skin, but with different cfg files, each pointing to a different database. Choose the skin you want, and then copy the fruitbox.cfg file as many times as you want (in the same directory), renaming each copy to anything you like. Then add these new files as "File = <name>" entries in the genres.txt file, so that you can choose whatever one you want when fruitbox starts up.

You will need to edit each new cfg file you copy, though...change the DataBase, MusicPath, SkinName and SkinDescription entries to appropriate values, and then all the cfg files you create will be unique :)

So when you start up fruitbox, the skin choose menu will allow you to choose whatever genre / style you like, without having to copy / delete music and databases.

Cheers,
Mike

fruitbox

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:51 am

bernyone wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:18 am
Scally wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:09 pm

I've just replaced my power supply with the official 5.1v, 2.5A unit from the pihut. But I'm still observing some very strange behaviour. When I first start up, the responses to the joystick and e.g. coin button are pretty fast. But once I select a song to play, the delays slowly creep up, first to about 7 seconds, then, even when the song is finished, eventually to about 30seconds.

As I don't see any delays using the 2 USB controllers elsewhere, nor when I run with your --test-buttons option, I am still wondering if it might be something to do with fruitbox? I'd be more than happy to run some additional debug (with the Jessie version), if you think it could help. I also added max_usb_current=1 to the boot/config,txt file, but that saw no effect.
Thanks in advance.
Did you solve the button lag?
I've had the same issue but it's intermittent for me, it usually occurs on first boot after I've made changes to fruitbox I.e added mp3s, switched out the track folder etc
But it disappears after a few reboots so I'm completely baffled as to what causes the lag,
I use a mixture of gpio buttons and the Dragon rise usb buttons and it effects all the buttons regardless of how they are connected to the pi so I'm assuming it's not the usb connection that's at fault as was suggested in this thread earlier..

Would be nice to pin this issue down as it's the only real issue I have with FRUITBOX
Hi,

I haven't managed to recreate the button lag at all, so haven't been able to fix it.

I'm wandering how many people have this problem...

I will try again and recreate the issue - if I can't I may send you a special fruitbox version with debug for you to try and send me the debug output if that's ok?

Cheers,
Mike

bernyone

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:02 pm

fruitbox wrote:

Hi,

I haven't managed to recreate the button lag at all, so haven't been able to fix it.

I will try again and recreate the issue - if I can't I may send you a special fruitbox version with debug for you to try and send me the debug output if that's ok?

Cheers,
Mike
That's fine with me Mike 👍

Scally

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:37 pm

bernyone wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:02 pm
fruitbox wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,
Mike
That's fine with me Mike 👍
I'm back from holiday - but, yes, I still have this problem and would love to try and find the cause of the problem. It still puzzles me why, with the test-button option, I can press buttons all day long and not have any delay, but run fruitbox normally and within a handful of presses / joystick movements I start to see really long delays (many seconds). It does respond eventually, so the event is not lost, just somehow queued etc. I can't tell if the pi's CPU is somehow busy with something else, but if it is already playing a song this just carries on normally.

I'd be happy to run some debug versions, but I would need the Jessie builds.

Likewise, it's the only thing stopping me from going live on my arcade machine with fruitbox!

Scally

Markal

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:18 am

Image20180413_210510_resized by Mark Jay, on Flickr

Image20180413_210256_resized by Mark Jay, on Flickr

Well, my sons 21st birthday today and I am pleased to say we have managed to finish out Fruitbox Jukebox. Some of the finishes were a bit rushed which we can revisit once the parties over tonight, but we are well chuffed with the results.

Thanks Mike for your software which is the center piece of the design.

shhammer5634

Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:17 pm

Markal wrote:

Image20180413_210256_resized by Mark Jay, on Flickr

Well, my sons 21st birthday today and I am pleased to say we have managed to finish out Fruitbox Jukebox. Some of the finishes were a bit rushed which we can revisit once the parties over tonight, but we are well chuffed with the results.

Beautiful work! Looks like something that will give you and your family years of enjoyment.

RainbowJuke

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:54 pm

Hi Mike is it possible to make TouchOne into a Touch312 by remapping the touchscreen into a 3 page 12 songs layout for the bigger touchscreens. Are the button.jpgs available empty.
I would like to create a skin with the following buttons: Volume, Random, Alpha left, Left, Right, Alpha right, Skip and Power-down(pictured). Last message from you you asked about making skins available but did not get a reply from you about copyright as the skin mentioned was a DWJukebox re-ash. If I make skins that are suitable for you you can have them but I am a newbie to the Raspberry Pi so they will not be possible up to your standard. The Rainbow skin also pictured is for my DWJukebox refit to a Raspberry Pi.
Attachments
RainbowJuke.jpg
RainbowJuke.jpg (204.72 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
Touch312.jpg
Touch312.jpg (182.26 KiB) Viewed 2006 times

fruitbox

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:35 pm

RainbowJuke wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:54 pm
Hi Mike is it possible to make TouchOne into a Touch312 by remapping the touchscreen into a 3 page 12 songs layout for the bigger touchscreens. Are the button.jpgs available empty.
I would like to create a skin with the following buttons: Volume, Random, Alpha left, Left, Right, Alpha right, Skip and Power-down(pictured). Last message from you you asked about making skins available but did not get a reply from you about copyright as the skin mentioned was a DWJukebox re-ash. If I make skins that are suitable for you you can have them but I am a newbie to the Raspberry Pi so they will not be possible up to your standard. The Rainbow skin also pictured is for my DWJukebox refit to a Raspberry Pi.
Hi

Your skins look really good! Great work. I'm sure the DWJuke skins aren't copyrighted so feel free to send them to me (via PM I will give you my personal email or you can push them to GitHub directly)

Regarding the touch buttons - I can provide you with a blank if you like but I'm happy to make up the ones you need...just PM me your email address and I'll send them to you!

Cheers,
Miki

karrika

Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:16 pm

One suggestion to the TouchOne skin.

Setting the volume is most likely done at the amplifier anyway. So I wonder if it could be possible to have a variant of this skin where the volume button would be replaced by a Genre button?

mamer999

Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:43 pm

Hi Mike,

a little problem. Since I am dissatisfied with the sound of the Pi, I would like to use a USB sound card. I could successfully install it as default sound device. All previously tested programs work with it. Only fruitbox reports: "ERROR, Couldn't reserve audio samples".

Cheers
Jürgen

fruitbox

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:53 am

karrika wrote:

Setting the volume is most likely done at the amplifier anyway. So I wonder if it could be possible to have a variant of this skin where the volume button would be replaced by a Genre button?
Hi

Should be just a matter of removing the volume indicator bitmap object from the skin config file, changing the volume button graphic in both the volume pressed pngs and background bitmap, and replacing the ButtonVol+ and ButtonVol- [touch areas] to a single ButtonAuto touch area. If you want to show the currently selected Genre you can define a new status object which contains the $AUTO_GENRE variable in its associated Contents file. And you'll need to add one or more AutoGenre entries in the config file too. Simples!

Cheers,
Mike
Last edited by fruitbox on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

fruitbox

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:56 am

mamer999 wrote:
Hi Mike,

a little problem. Since I am dissatisfied with the sound of the Pi, I would like to use a USB sound card. I could successfully install it as default sound device. All previously tested programs work with it. Only fruitbox reports: "ERROR, Couldn't reserve audio samples".

Cheers
Jürgen
Hi Jürgen

Which version are you using? I may have a USB soundcard kicking around somewhere so I'll see if I can reproduce the problem.

Cheers,
Mike

mamer999

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:22 am

fruitbox wrote:
mamer999 wrote:
Hi Mike,

Cheers
Jürgen
Hi Jürgen

Which version are you using? I may have a USB soundcard kicking around somewhere so I'll see if I can reproduce the problem.

Cheers,
Mike
Hi Mike,

I'm using version 1.11, not tried with older versions.

Cheers

Jürgen

karrika

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:58 am

fruitbox wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:53 am
karrika wrote:

Hi

Should be just a matter of removing the volume indicator bitmap object from the skin config file, changing the volume button graphic in both the volume pressed pngs and background bitmap, and replacing the ButtonVol+ and ButtonVol- [touch areas] to a single ButtonAuto touch area. If you want to show the currently selected Genre you can define a new status object which contains the $AUTO_GENRE variable in its associated Contents file. And you'll need to add one or more AutoGenre entries in the config file too. Simples!

Cheers,
Mike
Thanks,
I will experiment with this during the week.
-
Karri

rholstrom

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:34 pm

rholstrom wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:46 pm
To All,

I just saw this post and have been working on making a 1953 AMI W-120 Wallbox run via Fruitbox. It has single selector keys per song and will be using a Arduino Due as a keyboard simulator. I have over 45 GPIOs used on the Due. The Due will also take care of proper power up and down sequences. If no key is pressed within 1 hour the display will go off and will wait for any button to be pressed to turn the display back on. After 6 hours of non use it will send a power down to the Raspberry Pie. The white back light for the coin will start to blink red telling shut down is happening and once the Raspberry Pi is shut down the Du will turn off power to display and Pi. The red light stop blinking and green light will be seen telling that it is safe to unplug the unit. The Due will also sit there while green waiting for any button press and if pressed will power and boot the Pi while red light tell of a power up and then start Fruitbox. When initially plugged it the Due will run it's routine also to start the Fruitbox software. Once booted the red light will turn off and white leds will light the back lighted coin slot. The audio board used is a HiFiBerry BEOCREATE 4-Channel Amplifier used as a bi-amp. Separate speakers for bass and treble with digital crossover done by BEOCREATE 4-Channel Amplifier. I found very limited GPIO availability with using the BEOCREATE 4-Channel Amplifier so I needed to figure out another solution which is the Arduino Due as Keyboard simulator, power up / down sequencer, with Coin backlight indication.

I also have built in center paddle to access the page left & right similar to the way the AMI Wallbox was originally used and also have left & right sort paddle on the side to get around faster. The button levers and selector buttons behind the scenes is done with 3d printed plastic parts. The old mechanical selector mechanism will be resold as parts if one wants to restore a unit to original condition.

The 11" display in the AMI Wallbox is sideways with custom graphics from a photo of actual parts from a Wallbox. I hope to be done with the unit by Early May 2018 and will then post all the work required to convert a AMI W-120 Wallbox with Fruitbox.

So far the project is coming out well with the great work that was done by Chundermike as a basis for the project!

Below is the actual unit I started out with before I cleaned it up.

- REH
Here is my AMI W-120 with screen mounted and skin I designed. Still need to work on the 3d printed mount for the side buttons and some interfacing. Once completed I will post the files.
Attachments
IMG_20180414_144545_083.jpg
IMG_20180414_144545_083.jpg (111.97 KiB) Viewed 1883 times

rholstrom

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:38 pm

Markal wrote:

Great looking Juke Box cabinet! Looks like a lot of wood working. Lights surrounding the frame give it a nice touch!

fruitbox

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:10 pm

mamer999 wrote:
fruitbox wrote:
mamer999 wrote:
Hi Mike,

Cheers
Jürgen
Hi Jürgen

Cheers,
Mike
Hi Mike,

Cheers

Jürgen
Hi Jürgen

I found a Plantronics USB headset adaptor I had lying around (which provides analogue audio in and out from USB), and plugged that into my Pi (as it's the only USB audio output device I have). I did a quick aplay -l which detected the USB device as card 1. Then I created a file called /etc/asound.conf with the following contents...

pcm.!default {
	type hw
	card 1
}
ctl.!default {
	type hw
	card 1
}
...rebooted my Pi, and using fruitbox-1.11-jurgen4 it worked perfectly, so I'm not sure what to suggest now? If you have any more information which may help then please let me know.

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. Just to add rholstrom and Markal that your jukeboxes look absolutely brilliant :)

mamer999

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:47 am

fruitbox wrote:
mamer999 wrote:
fruitbox wrote:

Hi Jürgen

Cheers,
Mike
Hi Mike,

Cheers

Jürgen
Hi Jürgen

I found a Plantronics USB headset adaptor I had lying around (which provides analogue audio in and out from USB), and plugged that into my Pi (as it's the only USB audio output device I have). I did a quick aplay -l which detected the USB device as card 1. Then I created a file called /etc/asound.conf with the following contents...

pcm.!default {
	type hw
	card 1
}
ctl.!default {
	type hw
	card 1
}
...rebooted my Pi, and using fruitbox-1.11-jurgen4 it worked perfectly, so I'm not sure what to suggest now? If you have any more information which may help then please let me know.

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. Just to add rholstrom and Markal that your jukeboxes look absolutely brilliant :)
Hi Mike,
Unfortunately, this does not work for me. The first attempt to integrate the usb sound card was quite complicated. There are thousands of instructions on the net. The most recent one I found is 'https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... as-default'
It worked with many programs, even on the desktop. However, with omxplayer I had to pass "- o alsa" as a parameter.
I have now taken back these changes and created only the file /etc/asound.conf, as described by you. Unfortunately, the error persists.
Since you recommend "raspian stretch lite" for fruitbox, I will install this tonight and start another try.I feel that there is a conflict with settings of XServer, although I boot directly to the command line.

Cheers

Jürgen

rholstrom

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:41 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Hi Jürgen

pcm.!default {
	type hw
	card 1
}
ctl.!default {
	type hw
	card 1
}

Cheers,
Mike

This jukebox project is quite interesting thanks to Mike's work I originally found on HiFiBerry site. Once I saw this I was hooked into retrofitting one into an actual small wallbox from a 1950s dinner.

https://www.hifiberry.com/maker-contest ... /fruitbox/

Cost of the wall box on ebay was $100 shipped to my door. With another $400 in parts should do it. There is also many MANY hours of work experimenting and designing and fabricating the assemblies and programming all the button presses which will be done on an Arduino Duo. The custom skin also needed to be created from a photo of an actual jukebox title page found on-line. With all this work I also wanted absolutely GREAT sound so I went for a HiFiBerry audiophile quality card. I am using the "BEOCREATE 4-Channel Amplifier" in my Fruitbox unit with bi-amped stereo speakers.

https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/bundles/ ... te-bundle/

High & low frequency drivers use separate amplifiers in each channel (L or R) and are filtered (crossovered) digitally before the amps. This is more complicated than just a USB sound card but this setup will give great sound with up to 60 watts of power to the bass speakers.

The BEOCREATE 4-Channel Amplifier is a bit pricey at $190.00 but if you want GREAT bi-amped sound this is the way to go. Look at their other DSP amplifiers and stuff which are also great, like the HiFiBerry Amp2 for $50 which will give you 60 watt stereo output in a very small package attached directly to your Pi.

https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-amp2/

-REH

mamer999

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:46 pm

Hi Jürgen

pcm.!default {
	type hw
	card 1
}
ctl.!default {
	type hw
	card 1
}

Cheers,
Mike

[/quote]

Hi Mike,
Unfortunately, this does not work for me. The first attempt to integrate the usb sound card was quite complicated. There are thousands of instructions on the net. The most recent one I found is 'https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... as-default'
It worked with many programs, even on the desktop. However, with omxplayer I had to pass "- o alsa" as a parameter.
I have now taken back these changes and created only the file /etc/asound.conf, as described by you. Unfortunately, the error persists.
Since you recommend "raspian stretch lite" for fruitbox, I will install this tonight and start another try.I feel that there is a conflict with settings of XServer, although I boot directly to the command line.

Cheers

Jürgen
[/quote]

Hi Mike,

I give up for now. I have installed raspbian stretch lite. However, the current release, "Raspbian Stretch Lite 2017-09-07 release" is no longer available. Proceed as described on "https://github.com/chundermike/rpi-fruitbox". Start fruitbox - Error: "error while loading shared libraries: libXmp.so.4: can not open shared object file: No such file or directory".
I will now continue with the internal sound chip, until I find a solution for "Raspian Full Version" with usb sound card.

Cheers

Jürgen

rholstrom

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:04 pm

Great Job! That looks REAL good!

Markal

Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:50 am

Hey Stunning Jukebox Alfarero. I have to say the standards are really high. Well done.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”