RainbowJuke

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:31 pm

Hi Mike have run evtest how do you save the information to send to you. Sorry but only been doing pi for a month so a newbie. Fruit box must be recognizing ILITEK as the touch device the program runs but won't run if lowercase or another word. Is there anything in evtest that you are interested in if I cannot find out how to send read out. evtest does respond to touching the screen with x,y and tracking. Yes to your question about running 1.9.
Best Regards Antony

fruitbox

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:04 pm

RainbowJuke wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:31 pm
Hi Mike have run evtest how do you save the information to send to you. Sorry but only been doing pi for a month so a newbie. Fruit box must be recognizing ILITEK as the touch device the program runs but won't run if lowercase or another word. Is there anything in evtest that you are interested in if I cannot find out how to send read out. evtest does respond to touching the screen with x,y and tracking. Yes to your question about running 1.9.
Best Regards Antony
Hi Antony,

if you run

Code: Select all

evtest | tee evtest.log
...then the output of evtest will be written to the file 'evtest.log', which you can send me.

likewise you can run

sudo ./fruitbox --test-buttons --touch-device ILITEK | tee fruitbox.log
to capture the output of fruitbox to fruitbox.log

Thanks,
Mike

RainbowJuke

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:36 pm

Hi Mike the touch screen is working but the area is up in the top left, looking at button areas they are too small. The right page button area on evtest is in the region x10272 y6005. Will try the commands you have sent me but it looks like I need to make buttons match the larger screen size.
Best Regards Antony

fruitbox

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:10 pm

RainbowJuke wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:36 pm
Hi Mike the touch screen is working but the area is up in the top left, looking at button areas they are too small. The right page button area on evtest is in the region x10272 y6005. Will try the commands you have sent me but it looks like I need to make buttons match the larger screen size.
Best Regards Antony
Hi Antony

Sounds like the display size and the touch coordinates don't match...The touch coordinates that evtest has reported are massive; if your screen had a pixel resolution this large I would be seriously impressed!

This is a problem with the setup of the touch screen and not fruitbox I would wager, and so I don't think making the buttons larger would help (but please prove me wrong!). I'd take a look at working out how to configure the touch and screen co-ordinates to match if I were you; I'd offer to help but don't have a clue about this.

Cheers,
Mike

shhammer5634

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:41 pm

Hello again Mike,

We talked earlier about my planning on rotating the display and the options for that. I tried doing that through the /boot/config.txt and that actually worked fine. I had to play with the frame buffer size to get fruitbox not to overrun the actual screen. I'm sure that's an issue with the screen and not the software. It's a very cheap off brand.

Something from my wish list, and something else for you to think about when you're coding, neither of which is urgent.

If a person is going to use a coin mechanism as are used in commercial jukeboxes, they would need multiple coin inputs with a different number of songs per coin. In my case I'm handling that external to fruitbox and just running it in free play mode. For example my Seeburg 3W1 accepts five cent, ten cent, and 25 cent coins. Of course that coin mech is 66 years old now. Some of the newer programmable coin mechs may be able to send out a different number of pulse per coin type, but I have not had any experience with those. Just food for thought.

From my wish list: I'm looking for a way to determine if a song selected is not valid. For example, if a title strip has only one song when it has room for two and someone tries to select that second position, I'd like to know it. From a fruitbox standpoint it I know it doesn't make a difference. But in my case since I'm managing credits outside of fruitbox, I need to make sure those credits used for invalid selections are re-established in the wallbox so the user gets all the selections they "paid" for. I'm already managing the part where the wallbox has more letters and numbers than are in use in fruitbox so no trouble there. It could be a status variable that I could use to toggle a gpio pin, or write to a text file.

I certainly appreciate all the hard work you've been putting in on this. It must really be a labor of love...

Cheers,
Steve

fruitbox

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:03 pm

shhammer5634 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:41 pm
Hello again Mike,

We talked earlier about my planning on rotating the display and the options for that. I tried doing that through the /boot/config.txt and that actually worked fine. I had to play with the frame buffer size to get fruitbox not to overrun the actual screen. I'm sure that's an issue with the screen and not the software. It's a very cheap off brand.

Something from my wish list, and something else for you to think about when you're coding, neither of which is urgent.

If a person is going to use a coin mechanism as are used in commercial jukeboxes, they would need multiple coin inputs with a different number of songs per coin. In my case I'm handling that external to fruitbox and just running it in free play mode. For example my Seeburg 3W1 accepts five cent, ten cent, and 25 cent coins. Of course that coin mech is 66 years old now. Some of the newer programmable coin mechs may be able to send out a different number of pulse per coin type, but I have not had any experience with those. Just food for thought.

From my wish list: I'm looking for a way to determine if a song selected is not valid. For example, if a title strip has only one song when it has room for two and someone tries to select that second position, I'd like to know it. From a fruitbox standpoint it I know it doesn't make a difference. But in my case since I'm managing credits outside of fruitbox, I need to make sure those credits used for invalid selections are re-established in the wallbox so the user gets all the selections they "paid" for. I'm already managing the part where the wallbox has more letters and numbers than are in use in fruitbox so no trouble there. It could be a status variable that I could use to toggle a gpio pin, or write to a text file.

I certainly appreciate all the hard work you've been putting in on this. It must really be a labor of love...

Cheers,
Steve
Hi Steve

Yes you're right...it's really satisfying to be able to add enhancements when people ask for them; it just makes fruitbox better and better, and more and more useful to everyone :)

Anyway; glad the screen rotate worked for you. Regarding your requests; sure, I can do those. I can add multiple Insert coin buttons, each with a different 'plays per coin setting', (I think DWJukebox had that) and I can also add a new status $ variable to indicate an invalid selection. You're probably already aware (and I guess it's not relevant for you) but if you select an invalid song entry then fruitbox won't reduce your credits....it's not that mean! (and $CREDITS tells you how many you have at any time)

By the way; the comment you made about managing more letters and numbers than fruitbox has; anything I can help with about that? (I'm guessing you know about the 'SelectKeys' parameter?)

Cheers,
Mike

shhammer5634

Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:41 am

Hello again Mike,

Cheers,
Steve
Hi Steve

Yes you're right...it's really satisfying to be able to add enhancements when people ask for them; it just makes fruitbox better and better, and more and more useful to everyone :)

Anyway; glad the screen rotate worked for you. Regarding your requests; sure, I can do those. I can add multiple Insert coin buttons, each with a different 'plays per coin setting', (I think DWJukebox had that) and I can also add a new status $ variable to indicate an invalid selection. You're probably already aware (and I guess it's not relevant for you) but if you select an invalid song entry then fruitbox won't reduce your credits....it's not that mean! (and $CREDITS tells you how many you have at any time)

By the way; the comment you made about managing more letters and numbers than fruitbox has; anything I can help with about that? (I'm guessing you know about the 'SelectKeys' parameter?)

Cheers,
Mike
Mike,

Thanks for the offer managing the letters and numbers. I suppose you could, but it was a simple thing for me to take care of. Between the wallbox and the rPi, I'm using an 'duino clone to manage the interface. The wallbox is counter-intuitive by today's standards and actually requires some pretty precise timing to decode the selection the user makes into something the rPi and fruitbox can understand. I'm sure it could have been done in the rPi, but I wanted to make sure the rPi wasn't overloaded and that one function didn't interfere with the other. Using the clone allows me to simulate a standard HID USB keyboard. Anyway as part of my encoding process, I already know what letters and numbers are being used by fruitbox and can reject any invalid selections re-crediting the misused selection so the user can select again. It's just one of those things you run into when you tackle a project like this.

I'm sure you understand...

Again, I appreciate the work you do. I look forward to seeing those additions in future releases.

Cheers,
Steve

RainbowJuke

Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:52 pm

Hi Mike Thanks for your help but have decided to end project. I relized that evtest was giving me twice the x and y coordinates as fruit box. I was trying to see if a 19" touch screen could be used for something like NumberOne screen. Working backwards from evtest I halved the x, y figures and multiplied fruit box touch areas by 6.5 and yes the buttons on TouchOne i.e. skip, random, left and right worked by touch but I am unable to figure out how to do the song selection. Will now finish Splat jukebox instead. Thanks again best regards.

fruitbox

Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:57 pm

RainbowJuke wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:52 pm
Hi Mike Thanks for your help but have decided to end project. I relized that evtest was giving me twice the x and y coordinates as fruit box. I was trying to see if a 19" touch screen could be used for something like NumberOne screen. Working backwards from evtest I halved the x, y figures and multiplied fruit box touch areas by 6.5 and yes the buttons on TouchOne i.e. skip, random, left and right worked by touch but I am unable to figure out how to do the song selection. Will now finish Splat jukebox instead. Thanks again best regards.
Sorry hear you've ended that project. However, as other users may encounter the same problem as you have had, I have added a new command line option for the next release, which allows you to specify scale factors for the touch areas - these will be applied to button touch areas as well as song touch areas, and in theory will allow you to match your touch co-ordinate space with the display resolution.

Cheers,
Mike

Gandolfeh

Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:25 pm

Hi Mike,

Great work on Fruitbox. Im new at this and need some guidance. I can't seem to point my music files to the right path. I'm using a 2TB external hard drive via USB into my Raspberry Pi 3. My Music is under a folder named Music and once fruitbox boots it gives me an error that there is no music files.
Please help.

Thanks,
Gandolfeh

fruitbox

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:24 pm

Gandolfeh wrote:
Hi Mike,

Great work on Fruitbox. Im new at this and need some guidance. I can't seem to point my music files to the right path. I'm using a 2TB external hard drive via USB into my Raspberry Pi 3. My Music is under a folder named Music and once fruitbox boots it gives me an error that there is no music files.
Please help.

Thanks,
Gandolfeh
Hi,

What value have you got for your MusicPath setting in the fruitbox.cfg file, and what is the path to your Music (i.e. /mnt/usb/Music or something like that?)

Cheers,
Mike

shhammer5634

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:32 pm

Gandolfeh wrote:
Hi Mike,

Please help.

Thanks,
Gandolfeh
Hello Gandolfeh,

I'm a new Fruitbox user myself. A couple of things I have run into in that regard are that when starting the Pi in console mode, it does not auto-mount the external drive. This can be done manually with

sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdaX /your/mountpoint/here
If you are using a disk that is a standard linux format, skip the -t vfat in the command. The 'X' in /dev/sda is the partion number of the disk. Mine are all /dev/sda1.

Another issue I hit yesterday was permissions. If the partition you want to use is already mounted, try changing the permissions on the directory the holds your music. If your need help with that try googling chmod...

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Steve

Gandolfeh

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:39 pm

Thanks for your quick reply.

I haven't changed the value on the music path setting, it still is .../Music/ because I'm not sure what to type in as a path. I just have a Music folder on my usb hard drive. I was hoping that the usb would automatically be recognized.

Thanks,
Gandolfeh

shhammer5634

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:20 pm

Gandolfeh wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:39 pm
Thanks for your quick reply.

I haven't changed the value on the music path setting, it still is .../Music/ because I'm not sure what to type in as a path. I just have a Music folder on my usb hard drive. I was hoping that the usb would automatically be recognized.

Thanks,
Gandolfeh
When I first started exploring Fruitbox, I was using my PI in desktop mode. It does auto-mount any drive you connect then. It creates a folder under /media/pi that has the label of the mounted disk partition. My music partition is MUSIC (naturally). And once that path was created, it stayed whether the external drive was connected or not. So now I just use the command I described in my last post when I'm in desktop mode to mount any drive I have connected. That way it always mounts to /media/pi/MUSIC.

When starting Fruitbox, I always override the default path in the skin's fruitbox.cfg file. That way always know where it will look for the music. The command-line switch for that is --music-path.

And if you haven't already, I highly recommend running fruitbox with the --user-guide switch and save the output to a file that you can print or refer to:

./fruitbox --user-guide > guide.txt
That will result in a file called "guide.txt" in the same directory as Fruitbox that you can do with as you please. I actually printed my copy and put it in a binder. :lol:

I'm sure Mike can help you more than I can.

Again I hope this helps out a fellow Fruitbox experimenter.

Cheers,
Steve

Gandolfeh

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:14 pm

Awesome!
Thanks for all your help.

Gandolfeh

fruitbox

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the useful help. I'd just like to add a couple of extra hints if I may...

The --music-path option will only pick up the music if the database file defined in the skin config file doesn't exist, and depending upon the skin it could pick up a different database file. So if you want to be absolutely sure that you always pick up the same music regardless of whether the database exists, for whatever skin you use, I'd use it in conjunction with the --database option too...

sudo ./fruitbox --cfg <skin cfg file> --music-path <your music path> --database <your database>
...and for neatness, perhaps consider putting the database file in the same place as the music root directory?

And also don't forget that if you've had an unsucessful attempt at generating the database (i.e. it's not found any music in the path you've given it), fruitbox will still generate a database file, but it'll be empty. That means that next time you run it, it will look for the database file and find it, but because it will be empty it will terminate with an error, and won't attempt to scan the music path. So make sure that if you've had a "no music files found" error, delete the (empty) database file before having another attempt...

Cheers,
Mike

shhammer5634

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:26 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:21 pm
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the useful help. I'd just like to add a couple of extra hints if I may...

The --music-path option will only pick up the music if the database file defined in the skin config file doesn't exist, and depending upon the skin it could pick up a different database file. So if you want to be absolutely sure that you always pick up the same music regardless of whether the database exists, for whatever skin you use, I'd use it in conjunction with the --database option too...

sudo ./fruitbox --cfg <skin cfg file> --music-path <you music path> --database <your database>
...and for neatness, perhaps consider putting the database file in the same place as the music root directory?

And also don't forget that if you've had an unsucessful attempt at generating the database (i.e. it's not found any music in the path you've given it), fruitbox will still generate a database file, but it'll be empty. That means that next time you run it, it will look for the database file and find it, but because it will be empty it will terminate with an error, and won't attempt to scan the music path. So make sure that if you've had a "no music files found" error, delete the (empty) database file before having another attempt...

Cheers,
Mike
Mike,

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Just excited about what I'm learning here. I skipped the bit about the database location because frankly I'm just working an that in my startup script now...

I'm in awe of your programming.

Cheers,
Steve

fruitbox

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:31 pm

Hi Steve,

No worries - the more people contribute to the discussion the better :). Thanks for your contribution.

Whilst I was writing my previous post, I realised that having fruitbox generate an empty database file if it finds no songs is just a bit pants....it's confusing for new users and unnecessary, so in the next release I'll sort that out so fruitbox doesn't generate an empty database at all, and so you won't need to faff about deleting anything.

Cheers,
Mike

fruitbox

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:27 pm

Hi

fruitbox v1.10 is now released!

Highlights:

-> *new* support for multiple coin slots
-> *new* status for invalid song selection
-> *new* added --touch-scale command line option to support touch screens with different display and touch resolutions
-> No longer generates empty database files if no songs found

As usual, you can download fruitbox from GitHub here...

https://github.com/chundermike/rpi-fruitbox

(see README.md for installation instructions)

Cheers,
Mike

shhammer5634

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:50 pm

Hi Mike,

I feel like I'm monopolizing your time. First, thanks for the new version. I'll be downloading it straight away. At the moment I'm puzzling over something else.

I would like for certain songs by the same artist to appear in a specific order on the title strips. My thought was to sort by artist, then by custom field and fill in the custom field in a way that would cause the order I wanted. I expected that what I would see was that any songs by a specific artist that did not have that custom field would appear first, then any other songs by that artist that did have the custom field would appear in the order I specified. As a test I manually edited the database for a few songs and then ran Fruitbox.

What I'm seeing is that all artists and songs that don't have the custom field are appearing, and then any artists with songs that do have that custom field are appearing after everything else. I expect I'm missing something so I thought I'd ask.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve

shhammer5634

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:02 am

shhammer5634 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:50 pm
Hi Mike,

I feel like I'm monopolizing your time. First, thanks for the new version. I'll be downloading it straight away. At the moment I'm puzzling over something else.

I would like for certain songs by the same artist to appear in a specific order on the title strips. My thought was to sort by artist, then by custom field and fill in the custom field in a way that would cause the order I wanted. I expected that what I would see was that any songs by a specific artist that did not have that custom field would appear first, then any other songs by that artist that did have the custom field would appear in the order I specified. As a test I manually edited the database for a few songs and then ran Fruitbox.

What I'm seeing is that all artists and songs that don't have the custom field are appearing, and then any artists with songs that do have that custom field are appearing after everything else. I expect I'm missing something so I thought I'd ask.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve
It appears I've answered my own question. Originally my .cfg file had SortSongsBy Artist first, then SortSongsBy Custom. By reversing the order those two lines appeared in the .cfg file I got the expected results.

Again, thanks for everything.

Cheers,
Steve

mlill

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:23 am

Hi Mike
Really enjoying using your program, thank you for sharing. :) I have it in free play most of the time as currently I am only using a keyboard for selections which is a bit unhandy from the couch.

I am wondering how difficult it would be to have a web page of the basic wallbox skin and be able to make selections via a virtual button panel instead of real buttons? The visual of the rotating record wouldn't be needed and also the Pi could then be run headless as the selection would be from the browser, kiosk?...

Another option is if one could use a tv remote with lirc as many remotes have the 0-9 buttons and many also have extra buttons for the A-D.

Just some thoughts
Thanks
Mike

karrika

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:48 am

For remote music from the couch there is a really nice interface available. It is called Spotify. The only thing you need is one of those cool bluetooth receiver gadgets that connect your phone to the main speakers. My kids are using this all the time. I did show them fruitbox but they claimed that Spotify is much better.

mlill

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:41 pm

Good morning and thank you for the idea however I don't use use Spotify and prefer to listen to the tunes I have without having to go out to the internet. Also I really like the Fruitbox as it just works and works well.

One of the best features of Fruitbox is I don't have go through reloading a stack of 50 45's into my Wurlitzer with the season specials :) My problem is the vision is deteriorating so to pick selections I have to get up close to the monitor to read the choices. If it were available as a web page as seen on a monitor with nice big virtual buttons it would be beneficial to myself and most likely a few others.

Hope that all makes sense?
Thanks
Mike

Markal

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi Mike

A silly question perhaps - Having gotten Fruitbox 1.6 to work, eventually, and enjoying using it, I am concerned at the prospect of upgrading to 1.10 and ending up back at square one.

I am concerned that -
1 - The autoboot will prevent me from getting back in to do the changes.
2 - If I run the new V1.10 Fruitbox install, it will overwrite all my changes I made to 1.6 that allowed me to get things to work?

So my questions are - Will I lose all the configs by trying to install the 1.10 version or should I rather do a complete fresh install from scratch and do the mods as I did for 1.6?

I guess doing a fresh install will mean I still have my old version to fall back on if all goes south.

What do you recommend?

Thanks

Best regards

Mark

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”