PaulieTheKid

Monitor 2 webcams locally

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:00 pm

Hi, I'm working on a small project where I would like to monitor 2 webcams (Trust Spotlight Pro) on a lcd monitor connected by hdmi to a raspberry pi 3b.

The webcams are connected by usb to the pi, so the whole system should workswithout IP-camera's etc.
Pretty basic and pretty simple I would think.

I tried VLC but the framerate is to bad.

I'm happy with GUVCview, it shows a decent framerate (about 20 to 25 fps) when showing video form the 2 camera's simultaneously in 2 separate GUVCview instances.

When booted up, the lcd-monitor would have to show both video streams as some kind of split screen.
But when GUVCview starts, it's window pops up at a random position. I would like to have it pop up at a predefined position with a predifined size.

Or maybe I can embed the streams in a local browser and show the 2 video streams simultaneously that way.

I've searched for some info on both idea's but can't find any help.

Please help, and other usefull suggestions are welcome too!

Thanks,
Paul

richrarobi

Re: Monitor 2 webcams locally

Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:53 pm

You might have to write your own? I was searching for gucview (via a search for webcam control on Linux) so found your post...
If you do, the only python interfaces for webcams I have found so far are in pygame and opencv.
There are some examples of pygame and cameras posted elsewhere.

The one in pygame look to be fluid (may change), so I am going to look at opencv.

I want to use a cheap webcam for motion detection alongside a picamera on a web viewer. (similar requirement, but different).

Anyone else?

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”