texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: (Yet another) Vintage Pi-Radio

Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:44 am

Hi,
it's been a while and I meant to continue with this over Christmas, but a new puppy is taking a lot of my spare time now...
So I opted to design a pcb to act as wiring to the display and encoders, and as an alternative to a lazer cut top panel :

As per usual, I made a mistake in the layout, but was able to over come that issue (pins to the LCD are shifted by 2.54mm) by angling the connecting pins. So the next job would be to internally mount the audio amp and speakers, plus the pi and secure the top panel.

From a software point of view I'd like to consider :
1..bluetooth pairing option
2..scrolling text where song title is longer than will fit onto a single line

Also I am not too happy with the knobs I used for the encoder - I need to find some 'deeper' knobs....

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

elParaguayo

Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:58 am

Nice job.
RPi Information Screen: plugin based system for displaying weather, travel information, football scores etc.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:10 pm

Hi elParaguayo,
a belated Happy New Year to you.
Regarding the song title length, which code should I be looking at? Is the display constantly updated, so that scrolling text is feasible?
I'm happy to look a the code (when time allows), if I could have a little pointer :)
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

elParaguayo

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:12 pm

Texy,

Happy New Year to you too.

So, taking your questions in turn:

1. Bluetooth pairing - that should be possible. I've been playing with the bluetooth python modules and have got a prototype module which will search for new devices and allow pairing. I haven't built it into the radio though...

My starting module is here: https://github.com/elParaguayo/pybtooth (NB it's a work in progress so expect some errors)

2. Scrolling text - again, that should be possible.

The code that handles the layout is here: https://github.com/elParaguayo/PiRadio/ ... py#L69-L73

The way it works is that the display module has two modes: "controls" and "playing", each with its own layout. The "controls" mode shows menu info, volume etc. while "playing" shows metadata. The display will flip to the "playing" mode when no event has been detected within 5 seconds.

To scroll the text, we'd need to update the module to handle strings longer than 20 chars and then shift the part of the string that's displayed.

3. Better knobs (no giggling at the back...) I have two more that are identical to the ones I used and would be happy to send them to you if you're interested. No charge!

I won't lie to you though, I don't have a lot of time to help with 1 & 2 at the moment but, if I do, I'd be inclined to attack #2 first.
RPi Information Screen: plugin based system for displaying weather, travel information, football scores etc.

supert

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:31 am

Would you mind please sharing your plans / inkscape files for the laser cut parts? I am also using an R250 for something very similar and would welcome confirmation of the measurements. This would save me a lot of time.

elParaguayo

Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:22 pm

supert,

Sure - I'd be happy to share those with you.

I'll see if I can do it tonight, but may need to wait to the weekend.

elParaguayo

Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:39 pm

Sorry for the delay.

The vector files (svg) and some images with the shapes filled in so you can see the design more clearly have been added to the git repository as they're too big to post here.

You can see the files here: https://github.com/elParaguayo/PiRadio/ ... cs/vectors

supert

Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:55 pm

Awesome, thank you very much!

elParaguayo

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:46 pm

Looking at the file names, I may have uploaded the wrong svg files....

elParaguayo

Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:07 pm

Fixed now!

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”