richard777

Composite Video Capture - Latest status

Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:21 pm

I've been trying to get a working Composite Video capture device and after failing with Hauppauge USB-Live2, I tried pot-luck with with an ebay EasyCap.

Having read that it is a lottery as to which chipset you get and that there appears to be some issues with the RPi USB-2, I thought it would be worth a shot.

The Device I got turns out to be a USB007 Fushicia and while VLC won't look at at, OpenCV managed to grab a frame, with only minor duff lines in the image.

The really odd thing is that if you just loop getting frames and displaying them, you get a kind of delay effect where you see the current frame, then and old frame, then a new frame etc.

Has anyone had any success with these devices yet?

Unfortunately it's resisting switching to lower resolutions using OpenCV calls. It stays at 720x480.

I assume it is compatible with PAL video but there's no obvious way to be sure of that, other than to say that the still captures are in colour so I assume it's working in PAL.

Ntis

Re: Composite Video Capture - Latest status

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:07 pm

Hello,

It seems a lot of us are stuck trying to record a composite input.
I have no more luck with a stk1160 usb grabber, usb lose lot of data and video is totally garbled.
Has somebody already success in recording a full PAL (720x576@25fps) video stream, and with which grabber ? All I can find is grabber that send raw video data meaning 20Mb/s on the usb.

Or is it possible to use the MIPI CSI2 input camera interface to do that, I found a chip that seems to meet the requirement but will it be supported ?

richard777

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:01 am

I'm trying a BBB instead now...

There is an HDMI to CSI board but its very expensive and kind of defeats the object of the RPi...

Ntis

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:11 pm

BBB is worst with stk1160 :( (50% frame lost in full PAL resolution) I tried it before going to rpi2 and problem with CSI is that drivers is not modifiable by our own to support new hardware, that's why I asked about making an evolution but I'm looking to moving on another board (waiting for the utv007 stick to test before if it's really a drivers problem)

richard777

Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:53 am

I have mode some progress with video capture via usb.

I have a RPi 3 board and I found that using the cheapo USB capture now works fine on it.

However when adding in some face detection, I got the weird frame shuffling thing back.

After some playing about, I found that a simple python+opencv script, grabbing frames and displaying them one after the other works great UNTIL the frame capture loop time goes past 33ms.

This is obviously some problem with buffering incoming video frames which are arriving over the usb at 30fps. I'm not sure what happens with them, or if there's a way to bin frames that arrive before the videoCapture call.

So as long as you capture the frame before the next one arrives, you get a clean display and each frame is in order.

The moment you take more than 33ms to get each frame, they seem to get mixed up, so sometimes you get an old frame, sometimes you get a new frame.

Unfortunately you can't turn the FPS down on the capture device and you can't change the resolution from 720x340 either.

Face Detect was running at 160ms per frame so it's still too slow to get all the frames and you get the strange shuffled up video.

Is there a method in openCV to flush the capture device prior to calling videoCapture()?

richard777

Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:06 am

Problem solved.

You just have two threads. One runs just getting frames (so it completes in time to keep up with 30fps). The second thread takes a frame from a shared buffer as and when it can, at a slower rate, to do the tracking processing.

Works a treat with the £5 usb EasyCap video capture device.

mattmiller

Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:19 am

Is that the UTV007 chipset one? (As I have one coming on the slow boat)

mwlinder

Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:58 pm

We have just announced the PiCapture SD1 solution for capturing composite video with an adapter board that uses the Raspberry Pi camera interface and all of the capabilities of the GPU. You can find details about this on our website: http://lintestsystems.com/products/picapture-sd1
Marshal
Lintest Systems

birdwatcher

Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:48 pm

Very nice but unfortunately waay to expensive. USD30 is the max I could spend on a device like that. Using now a ip-camera and it works very well. the ip-camera was USD40 and is HD. Great cam

mattmiller

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:23 am

Using now a ip-camera and it works very well. the ip-camera was USD40 and is HD. Great cam
This allows us to capture external SD video - a feat that currently has defeated most of us up til now

It is expensive but if you compare laptop + easycap vs Pi and this then it looks reasonable :)

ceemjay

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:03 pm

by richard777 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:06 am
Problem solved.

You just have two threads. One runs just getting frames (so it completes in time to keep up with 30fps). The second thread takes a frame from a shared buffer as and when it can, at a slower rate, to do the tracking processing.

Works a treat with the £5 usb EasyCap video capture device
Please can you let us know which USB device you bought or at least the chipset inside - I am fairly sure they are not all the same.

Also, are you able to share any of the code used?

I am thinking of implementing a wireless reversing camera in my car. I already have the camera so capturing the video on one Rpi (hopefully Zero) and transmit it a few metres to another to display. Anyone done that if not any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

mattmiller

Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:25 pm

Problem solved.

Works a treat with the £5 usb EasyCap video capture device.

Share and enjoy please

t2k

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:09 am

Unfortunately if you look on Amazon for "EasyCap" there are a ton of products, they all look different, none specify which chipset they use.. I would like to order one but seems like it would be helpful if anyone here might be able to point to a specific supplier who is selling known-good easycap devices that work with the pi3 =)

Defiant

Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:39 am

Amazon.de marketplace, but maybe it helps you anyway. In general look for devices recommended for ambilight.

paanii

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:52 pm

@richard 777

Sir i need your help.. i m trying to install drivers for utv007 on my raspi 3 board .. but unable to do...can you please share me a guide for that sir

Thanks in Advance

mattmiller

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:08 pm

I think he has gone away for good :(

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”