davewright

Windows Media Player

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:04 pm

hi. Could anyone say if there is an Pi equivalent of Windows Media Player? I'd like to use th Pi to a) capture video from a camera in a bird box (A/V connection) and make it available through the encoder to my streaming site (Camstreams) to come at get.
Can anyone help?
Thanks

ame

Re: Windows Media Player

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:51 am

VLC?

The key word for your Google-fu is "streaming".

Here's something to get you started:
http://sammit.net/raspberry-pi-camera-s ... lc-player/

fruitoftheloom

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:51 am

davewright wrote:hi. Could anyone say if there is an Pi equivalent of Windows Media Player? I'd like to use th Pi to a) capture video from a camera in a bird box (A/V connection) and make it available through the encoder to my streaming site (Camstreams) to come at get.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
This may give some ideas http://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/infrared-bird-box

Please be aware that the RPi has no A/V input, therefore you would need additional hardware.
Retired disgracefully.....

davewright

Re: Windows Media ENCODER

Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:46 am

Thank you for the replies so far. An apology.... I should have said Windows Media Encoder..... not player (have changed subject title accordingly). Is anyone aware of a Pi equivalent? I do have an Easycap usb capture device for the remote camera. Is it possible to load driver software for this on the Pi?

Thanks again.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:08 am

davewright wrote:Thank you for the replies so far. An apology.... I should have said Windows Media Encoder..... not player (have changed subject title accordingly). Is anyone aware of a Pi equivalent? I do have an Easycap usb capture device for the remote camera. Is it possible to load driver software for this on the Pi?

Thanks again.
Regards the EasyCap Capture, there are variuos models with differing chipsets, but many are supported especially if use the STK1160 chipset.

Regards Media Encoder it is proprietary Microsoft, but many Linux Media Players like VLC should be able to play the Media.
Retired disgracefully.....

ghans

Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:34 am

If you are lucky to have an EasyCap device with a well-supported chipset you can use any application that supports the V4L2 API for recording
like VLC or ffmpeg.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

jimallyn

Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:34 am

Codecs are available for the RPi for just about every A/V format you could imagine, as well as players, format converters, and so on.
“So you say you love the poor? Name them.” - Gustavo Gutierrez

ghans

Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:38 am

Note that while many codecs are supported via software on the Pi1 , they may be extremly slow since the Pi1 is a slow machine.

A solution might be learning to work with gstreamer pipelines , which can utilise hardware acceleration.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

davewright

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:25 pm

Hi. and thank you all for your interest in my first post.

Apologies if I'm not making myself clear. I do not want to view the video from the remote camera, but to stream it to the internet.
My current set up using a PC uses Windows Media Encoder to make the stream available to my external streaming site (Camstreams). There servers pull back the stream through my router (I've opened up a specific port through which they come) and they rebroadcast the stream on their own website. So you see I don't believe that I need a viewer like VLC. I believe I need something hat works the same as Windows Media Encoder, but that can run on the Pi.

The second part of the project is to work out how to run my easycap usb video capture device on the Pi as well. If anyone knows of some software that can be loaded onto the Pi to do this I'd be very grateful.

Once again thanks for you interest....... Sorry to be such a pain, but this is new to me so I do need as much assistance as I can get.

:) :) :)
Dave

ame

Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:53 pm

VLC is also a server. It will stream video sources to other places. It might be what you want. Have you looked at it?

Regarding the easycap device:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=easycap+raspberry+pi

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”