dinamex

Re: ROS on RPi

Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:47 pm

How did you compile PCL? the pi is working with hard-float, right?
I'm asking because I'll try to compile the PCL stack as well but can't get it to work because of the non support for hard-float. Would be great to hear about that...

kj6dzb

Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:38 am

Hello, all

I see there is an sd card image for a ROS, I shall give that a try when load that image up on a card, tonight. THANKS!!! but has any one had any luck porting ROS Future to install seamlessly?

Im taking the approach that the pi will serve as the master. Ive got a rover ready to be controlled locally via a Bluetouth PS3 controller. Problem is ive had a hard time getting ROS built.

Is there a an update on the port?

Mathison

Davinci

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:10 am

What do you mean exactly? The sd image contains a ROS Fuerte install :)

pax

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:32 am

Is there any chance of a binary package for ROS on Raspbian?

kj6dzb

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:01 am

Well then Im eating my words!! :shock:

Install instructions PLEASE!, so when I need to install ROS from the source, I can. Ive compiled 2 large programs on my RPI and Its dose indeed take a bit.

Thanks, I just got to downloading the image this morning before i left for the lab. I will load it up and transfer the source for my BOT.

Mathison

jeem

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:00 am

Hi, sorry I was away from anything computerized in the last weeks.

@mkopack thank you, yes, I basically just used what previous work other had done to install ROS Fuerte, including your previous pains ;)

@Davinci you are welcome. I found that rosdep sucks at finding most dependencies on Debian, so I prefer to look and install them manually each time rosdep whines about a missing dep.

@pax the image only includes the ROS-full underlay, so ROS-core and basic stacks. The goal is now to get most of ROS-Full-Desktop stacks working and to provide a new image ( if you succeed, let me know so I can put it on my server, there is a lot of bandwidth :) )

@shnomin I'm really happy it's useful for you :)

@dinamex I remember failing trying to install PCL on the PI because of some weird deps, I will try again soon and let you know

@kj6dzb I basicaly used the instructions that can be found on the web to install ROS-Fuerte on the PI. See http://jeremy-nicola.info/2012/08/07/ro ... ian-image/ for the links. I wrote a simple installation script too, I will share it soon :). But trust me, it takes a huge amout of time, so you'd better use the SD card image !
http://www.jeremy-nicola.info

dinamex

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:50 pm

I work together with the pcl developers to get ARM support (namely a pandaboard but should work for the Pi as well). We are making a good progress but still need some time for the usb drivers. I will let you know if we make some breakthrough

jiapei100

Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:38 am

Yes... It seems there is no
TBB support for raspberry pi...

Cheers
Welcome to Vision Open
http://www.visionopen.com

d_dil_jay

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:49 am

Hi I'm a newbie to Raspberry Pi.. I was trying to install "rosserial_arduino" on to RPi and I failed.
I tried to use the image put up by "mentar", but for some reason it hangs on the login screen.
Appreciate if anyone can help me with this installation process..

Thanks in advance :D

mentar

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:15 am

Yeah I don't use the x server and just do everything over a command terminal. (CTRL + ALT + F1). I had no problems using the rosserial_arduino on my image.
Jeem got a more polished distribution together (link below) try using his.
jeem wrote:I successfully installed ROS Fuerte ROS-Full layer on Raspbian. Just make sure that the serial port's permissions are set up correctly.

Here is an image of my SD card :
ROS Fuerte - Raspbian

It comes just with ROS-Full and its dependencies installed.
d_dil_jay wrote: I tried to use the image put up by "mentar", but for some reason it hangs on the login screen.

d_dil_jay

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:26 am

mentar wrote:Yeah I don't use the x server and just do everything over a command terminal. (CTRL + ALT + F1). I had no problems using the rosserial_arduino on my image.
Jeem got a more polished distribution together (link below) try using his.
jeem wrote:I successfully installed ROS Fuerte ROS-Full layer on Raspbian. Just make sure that the serial port's permissions are set up correctly.

Here is an image of my SD card :
ROS Fuerte - Raspbian

It comes just with ROS-Full and its dependencies installed.
d_dil_jay wrote: I tried to use the image put up by "mentar", but for some reason it hangs on the login screen.
Thanks "mentar" and ""jeem" for helping me out here.. This means so much to me.. THANKS... I'll try this thing and let you guys know about the outcome :D

d_dil_jay

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:31 pm

According to "mentar", I tried to use CTRL+ALT+F1 but it doesn't do anything (since it's freezes at login)..
I did tried to use the image provided by "jeem" and it has everything except rosserial_arduino.. So I will be very thankful if you guys can help me with this..

mentar

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:47 pm

I've just upgraded Jeem's image (took a well over an hour) and will look into making rosserial_arduino work for my project will share what I've done. Thinking of writing a non-academic beginner tutorial how to ROSify your bot based while I'm at it.

d_dil_jay

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:14 am

WOW That will be great.. :)
Looking forward to the tutorial..
Thanks for spending some time on it, I am sure It will be beneficial for lots of people out there.

mentar

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:08 pm

I've managed to get it to work but I've not got around to documenting it as I'm busy with work.
So try installing it through on Jeem's image. First make a file called rosserial.rosinstall with the following contents and place it in the home directory

Code: Select all

- other: {local-name: /opt/ros/cturtle/ros}
- other: {local-name: /opt/ros/cturtle/stacks}
- hg: {local-name: rosserial, uri: 'https://kforge.ros.org/rosserial/hg'}
Then try installing it, should be something like

Code: Select all

rosinstall ~/ros "http://packages.ros.org/cgi-bin/gen_rosinstall.py?rosdistro=fuerte&variant=desktop&overlay=no"
cd ~/ros
source ~/ros/setup.bash
echo "source ~/ros/setup.bash" >> ~/.bashrc
rosinstall ~/ros rosserial.rosinstall
rosmake rosserial
The rosmake might fail after it's compiled rosserial_arduino but that's not relevant. Then follow the rosserial_arduino tutorial. I'm usually around on the IRC channel (#ROS on irc.oftc.net.) so it's easier to get help from me there with a specific issue.

d_dil_jay

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:50 pm

Thank you so much Eugene (mentar) for your help, it really helped me a lot.. After few tries I managed to get it working..

Thought of sharing what I have done in the post,

Here's what I did, (exactly the same thing with some little modification) :)

1) Create the rosserial.rosinstall file in your home directory..
(Following steps require you to have an Internet connection)

2) Open the Terminal and enter the followoing
$ rosinstall ~/ros "http://packages.ros.org/cgi-bin/gen_ros ... tro=fuerte& variant=desktop&overlay=no"
- This will download some files into a folder called "/ros" in your home directory

3) move the "rosserial.rosinstall" file we created into "/ros"

5) Open another terminal window and type,
$leafpad .bashrc
- Go to the end of the file and insert the following,
export ROS_PACKAGE_PATH=/home/pi/ros:$ROS_PACKAGE_PATH

6) close all the terminal windows and restart the raspberry pi,

7) Get into the terminal mode (Do not start the GUI by typing $startx)

8) Type the following commands,
$cd /ros
$ rosinstall ~/ros rosserial.rosinstall
$ rosmake rosserial

- The process will take sometime to install. It took me around 1.5 Hours to complete.
9) Install python-serial
$sudo apt-get install python-serial

10) Follow the Arduino Tutorials

Enjoy.. :D

mentar

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:54 pm

Great to hear you got it working! And thanks for sharing the steps!
For those following the suggestions please not that "/ros" is actually "'~/ros"
d_dil_jay wrote: - This will download some files into a folder called "/ros" in your home directory

3) move the "rosserial.rosinstall" file we created into "/ros"

pax

Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:31 pm

Has anyone built the OpenCV stacks in ROS on Wheezy? I'm running into some type definition problems with the cv_bridge package, because Fuerte seems to depend on opencv 2.4.0, while the Wheezy repositories only have 2.3.1. Do I need to install 2.4.0 from source, or is there a workaround to get Fuerte playing nicely with 2.3.1. Alternatively, are there any 2.4.0 binary packages around?

mkopack

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:51 pm

What would REALLY be nice is if there was some way to get Willow Garage to host the setup the way they do with all the other versions so we could do the install the normal way without having to compile from source and such all the time, or sharing a single disk image (no offense guys, I just get a bit paranoid when I'm given a disk image and told "use this" without having any way of knowing if there's any sort of malicious code on it waiting to attack my network...)

Might be something to bring up to them... I know they use a Hudson based continuous integration server to do regularly scheduled builds of all the ROs core code packages for the different versions and architectures and such. Can't imagine it would be hard for them to support 1 more (although they'd probably have to do it via cross-compiling rather than compiling natively on a RPi). But that might allow for better support and both Raspian and Debian versions to exist.

Really just depends on whether Willow Garage cares or not and is willing to stand up the manpower to get it going...

jeem

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:55 am

Hi folks, I wanted to let you know I'm sharing a new SD card image with ROS Fuerte core libraries and 95% of the ROS Desktop Install, + rosserial & rosserial_java stacks and Arduino pre-installed.

I'm sharing it as a .torrent file, more information here:
http://jeremy-nicola.info/2012/10/05/ne ... ard-image/
pax wrote: Alternatively, are there any 2.4.0 binary packages around?
I wrote a howto on cross compilation and distributed cross-compilation for the Raspberry Pi that can be found here:
http://jeremy-nicola.info/portfolio-ite ... pberry-pi/

and I built the latest version of OpenCV as an example at the end ( it took 12minutes to build it).

You can also find pre-built binaries of OpenCV 2.4.0 on my download page:
http://jeremy-nicola.info/download/
but I am not sure it is the propper way to distribute a pre-built library ( it contains the .so ). A .deb would be better I think.

But given the time it takes to build this kind of things following my previous howto, I don't think it's worth the effort to make a .deb.
mkopack wrote: (...) no offense guys, I just get a bit paranoid when I'm given a disk image and told "use this" without having any way of knowing if there's any sort of malicious code on it waiting to attack my network...
None taken, btw I am not saying "use this" but "I am using it, and if you want to use it as well, take it". I understand you can't just trust anyone on the Internet, and I am not sure I would use a SD card image shared by a forumer.
This is why I am currently writing a howto on how I got 95% of the ROS Desktop install to build on my Pi, so you can do it by yourself.
There were a few subtleties. My howto on cross compilation is a good starting point.

If anyone can build the rviz related stuff please let me know =)
Any feedback appreciated of course.
http://www.jeremy-nicola.info

mkopack

Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:43 pm

Jeremy,

I could be wrong, but I thought that Rviz only works on Nvidia gfx systems. I know we have had issues at work in the past where you can start Rviz but you only get a black window if running on a non Nvidia gfx card.

In general, the limiting factor with Rviz is the need for good openGL support by the card/driver. With the pi only having OpenGL ES, I think that is going to be a problem.

I personally only need the robot side of the TurtleBot software build to run in the pi (to replace that heavy laptop) but I'm not sure the pi is up to the task of handling the point loud data from the kinect...

mkopack

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:14 pm

So, what do you think the impact will be of the RAM boost coming on the RPI's? I haven't done much (ok, anything) with ROS on the RPI other than run through the basic tutorials, so just wondering if having the extra RAM will enable us to run more of the various stacks/packages or help with things like OpenCV (I can't imagine having more RAM as HURTING that!)

mkopack

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:11 pm

jeem wrote:Hi folks, I wanted to let you know I'm sharing a new SD card image with ROS Fuerte core libraries and 95% of the ROS Desktop Install, + rosserial & rosserial_java stacks and Arduino pre-installed.

I'm sharing it as a .torrent file, more information here:
http://jeremy-nicola.info/2012/10/05/ne ... ard-image/
Hey Jeremy, is your server still around? I just decided to give it a try and I'm not having any luck connecting.

bteeter

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:58 am

Jeremy - I have downloaded your image. What I would like to know is what has been built on it.

I know that the low-level items appear to have been completed but what has been done of the
high level items?

Also have your used the latest raspbain image from December on any of your builds. I was following
the instructions and they appeared to work better than before.

Bob Teeter

mkopack

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Bob,

If you install rpi-update, and do the whole sudo apt-get update + sudo apt-get upgrade, it will get whatever version Jeremy used to start with up to date.

I still need to get the image. I've had no luck pulling it from the torrent...

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”