xjmaas

Lego PowerFunctions IR transmitter

Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:59 pm

Hi all,

First of all, a happy new year!

I am quite new with the RPi. I bought one last november and started experimenting with it.
After creating a simple (experimental) bufferboard with an ULN2003 Darlington array, I wondered if it was possible to use the RPi as an IR server for the Lego trains of my daughters, using my iPhone/iPad as the remote.
I just started coding, using the Lego Powerfunctions library for the Arduino as a starting point, to build the server part. Next I created a simple app for my iPhone/iPad. At the moment I am able top run (at least) two trains simultaneous, but it should also be possible to control 8 trains at the same time.

My next project might be a remote controlled car using the RPi, again, as the IR server.

Are there others who are trying to use the RPi as an IR server for their Lego projects this way, and is anyone interested in the 'server' project I created.

Would love to hear more.

Xander

xjmaas

Re: Lego PowerFunctions IR transmitter

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:49 pm

Hello all,

Normally I wouldn't reply to my own posts, but I think it will make the message clearer when replying...

I have a preliminary version of my LEGO PowerFunctions library built.. It is built for using the v1.20 protocol. At the moment I am testing the library 'in-house' and wonder if anyone has any need to (also) test it.

The library will be made available as 'Open Source' on Github when it seems stable enough, either as a standalone library or packaged with some 'IR-server-thingy-type' application... (which will be my aim, building an Lego PowerFunctions IR Server).

Send me a PM or email if you are interested in the library (or if you are interested in helping me with coding, documentation etc...)

renewest

Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:27 pm

Hello,

I would like to test your libary but can not find any email adress
and can not send a pm. Hopefully you can help me.

Regards,

Rene

tomskillman

Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:39 am

I also looked for a PM or email and cannot find it. I would be interested in your library as well. My son just got the LEGO train and I'm interested in RasPi Control!

Thanks,
Tom Skillman

xjmaas

Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:05 pm

Hi Tom,

I have just finished my prototype board to use with the library (which was my first priority before releasing the code)

I have made the schematic and the PCB design in Fritzing and will be published on GitHub very soon.

If you send me a PM with your email, I can send you the bare project, including the latest test/example program.

xjmaas

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Hello,

Today I made a website where the project can be downloaded, including the schematics and (initial) PCB design.

You can find the website at http://www.xjmaas.nl

The schematics and PCB design are made in Fritzing, so might have to download/install this (See my previous post for a link)

The project will also be posted on GitHub later on.

The project is published under the GPL v3 license.

(Edit: Forgot to add the URL for the website)
Last edited by xjmaas on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

dexterindustries

Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:33 am

This is a really cool idea! Can you share the link for the website? We don't see a link. We'd love to help out, this is a great idea.
John Cole
Dexter Industries

Code: Select all

http://www.dexterindustries.com

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”