kbootb

Remote access to Raspberry Pi

Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:45 pm

Hi.
I've seen a couple of YouTube projects where the raspberry pi is embedded into a robot. The Pi is run by batteries. The code is clearly being uploaded to the Pi via WiFi.

Can anybody point me to a resource to show me how the remote access is achieved?

TIA

FLYFISH TECHNOLOGIES

Re: Remote access to Raspberry Pi

Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:44 am

Hi,
kbootb wrote:Can anybody point me to a resource to show me how the remote access is achieved?
Any remote access available on "ordinary" computers could be used... you can communicate via SSH (or unsecure Telnet), HTTP, sockets... code could be updated via FTP, HTTP, ... these are all generic protocols.
Keep in mind that RasPi is just a tinny Linux computer, so there are tons of resources available... pick one which is slightly above your current knowledge level.

Best wishes, Ivan Zilic.
Running out of GPIO pins and/or need to read analog values?
Solution: http://www.flyfish-tech.com/FF32

DougieLawson

Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:53 am

kbootb wrote: Can anybody point me to a resource to show me how the remote access is achieved?
You need WiFi hardware, the Edimax EW7811 works with the RPi & Raspbian
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7811U ... B003MTTJOY

Then as Ivan says it's a case of running a server like sshd, vncserver, Apache/lightttpd/nginx, telnetd, ftpd, inetd or screen and an appropriate client on your laptop to work with one of those.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

kbootb

Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:27 am

Thanks for the replies. Pointing me to SSH was all I needed to get moving again!

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”