Has anyone built a Pi to drive a washing machine?
I have a washing machine that I call Bruce (from Die Hard).. He's 35 years old, and might need replacing.. I've sort of got attached to him as he's served me well.
Within the machine the components are quite simple,
1) Main Motor (2 speeds) and direction
2) water on off relay control thingy,
3) a pressure thingy to detect the water level and stop the water,
4) soap and softener dispenser
5) heating element with thermostat
6) drain pump
So I though if I could learn how to drive each one of these potentially through a MCP23017 I could have a Pi driven washing machine, and to be able to build a smart phone app to see the progress of my washing,
and with the Pi and camera I could hook the camera up to the front of the washing machine to see how it's doing, or with the camera detect how dirty the water is and to automatically adjust the washing timer and cycles?
What do you think?