devolo13

programing a VEX robot

Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:01 pm

My robotics club at my high school was recently givin a raspi. I was hoping to use it to program the robot and controller for compotitions. We do not want to mount the Pi on the robot, just program it using the VEX software that we currently use on a windows laptop. Can anybody help me find a way to get the program onto the Pi, and would it even work?

Ravenous

Re: programing a VEX robot

Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:35 pm

I think what you mean is you want to find out if there's a version of the Vex software that runs on Linux. Moreover, runs on ARM which is what the raspi uses. You might have to browse around the Vex forum to see if anybody knows.

machogg

Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:17 pm

The original post for this topic (I think) is asking can the vex micro controller be programmed using the raspberry pi and Scratch software. The software packaged with the VEX robotics kits works fine, once you get it running, but it is only ported to a PC. (made by the same company as AutoCad) It also has a complicated CD Key upgrade system. The PC is poorly supported technically in our school (arguably all schools), so moving to a different system would be advantageous. With the VEX kits the code is compiled on the PC, then downloaded to the VEX micro controller via a cable.
Any thoughts?

machogg

Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:45 pm

Just checked out the VEX site and there are programming options using OpenVEX which is LINux and ARM compatible. Check out http://www.vexrobotics.com/wiki/Programming. A lot of the discussion is above my pay grade but it looks possible.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”