rubeneski

Home alarm system help

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:19 am

Hi all,
I would like to start up DIY pi prodject. My idea is to attach a small sensor to my pi (maybe a PIR motion sensor, a few quid off ebay), and a camera. I would like it so whenever the motion sensor is set off the camera will boot up and start to film (with the time and date on the recording) , i would like to install it in my house for safety. And also a wireless link to a laptop or monitor. Any help or ideas? I would like to make it AS CHEAP AS POSSABLE. Any help is much appreciated. I have hardly any programming experience. I am a beginner,
Many many thanks!

RomanG

Re: Home alarm system help

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:40 pm

Have you considered motion?
It would do pretty much what you described, without the need of a motion sensor.
It uses image analysis to detect motion in front of the camera. It is highly configurable and can use multiple cameras (although, I am not sure if raspberry would be able to handle multiple cameras).

There are many tutorials on the web and in these forums as well.

Cheers,
Roman

mypifi

Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:45 pm

theres a couple similar projects on pideas.co.uk used to film post coming through a letterbox, that might help you come up with something.

Gadjetnut

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:23 pm

If you are building an alarm system, please check out this website:

http://www.projects.privateeyepi.com/home

They have full instructions on how to create an alarm system with email alerts, web based dashboard to view and control you alarm. No fees.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”