amcdonley

Simple Variable Sharing Between Python Processes?

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:03 am

Right now I have a python module to manage concurrent access to some robot variables stored in a file "carlData.json"

Code: Select all

carlDataJason.py :  
*    saveCarlData(dataname, datavalue, logit=False)   # adds datanaem:datavalue to carlData.json file
*    getCarlData(dataname=None)      # either returns dictionary with all values, or just value of passed name
*    delCarlData(dataname)           # delete item from carlData.json
I don't have a getLocked(), setLocked() pair though.

At this point I am only keeping two variables:
* chargingCycles # number of times robot has docked for recharging
* chargeConditioning # count down flag to discharge batteries (dock to recharge) to 7.7v instead of the normal 8.1v if greater than 0.

I am planning to add some more slowly changing variables:
* dockingState [returning, docking, docked, dismounting, notdocked]
* lastDockingStateChange datetime
* chargingState [unknown, discharging, charging, trickling]
* lastChargingStateChange datetime
* drivingProcess [process_name or PID or none] controlling the vehicle position
* tiltpanProcess [process_name or PID or none] controlling the tiltpan (and distance sensor)
* tiltpanCentered boolean (when centered, multple processes can use distance sensor readings)

but eventually, I want to start tracking more dynamic variables such as:
* botInMotion boolean
* currentDrivingCommand?
* currentX,Y,theta (Dock reference) - this is very wishful
* currentOrientationConfidence
* currentPositionConfidence
* tiltpanInMotion

I'm wondering if I need to look at multiprocessing shared memory, or a sqlite3 database, or just continue on as I am?

Eventually, I am sure I'll want to add a DB for tracking driving command history and such, but I'm hesitant to complicate my simple robot life.

DougieLawson

Re: Simple Variable Sharing Between Python Processes?

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:55 am

SQLite3 doesn't support multiple writers. You very rapidly destroy your database if you get two writers running.

Use python multi-threading to run everything in a single python process.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

blimpyway

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:39 am

You may consider a generic messaging queue (eg mosquitto) to communicate state changes across processes.

Although is not by far as fast as shared memory, there are a few good reasons for this approach:
- allows for modularity - have small processes each responsible with its own limited task
- transparently spawn processes/modules across machines if/whenever needed. e.g. if you want to add vision/image recognition which is way too heavy for your robot's main Pi you can just a dedicated PI or Jetson/whatever for that task alone and have it integrate easily with existing modules.
- allows for debugging - by just subscribing to whatever message "keys" you can see state changes from a different machine than the robot's PI
- allows for nice interfaces/GUIs/visualisations on a PC away from PI
- logging/history/database inserts can also happen on a different machine reducing Pi's frequent SD card updates (and risk of failure because of it)
- for such reasons, robot platforms like ROS are built upon a similar named message queue paradigm.

From what I see in your variables 10-20 messages/second should be more than enough to update state with very little impact on PI's cpu cycles.

amcdonley

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:28 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:55 am
SQLite3 doesn't support multiple writers. You very rapidly destroy your database if you get two writers running.

Use python multi-threading to run everything in a single python process.
Results on my Pi3B using multiprocessing pool.map to 3 "worker/inserter" processes that
each obtain closing_lock/connect/insert/commit/close:
# Insert: Max 43 ms Ave 18ms each for 100 values
# Insert: Max 6-11s Ave 43-105ms for 1000 values <-- WOW

Results using one "db server" process and three queue stuffer processes:
insert to db: 200-750 us average, 2-27 ms max (6K-60K row db)
add_to_queue: 86-95 us
fetch 1 row : 900 us
fetch all : 10-15 us per row (600-900 ms total for 60000)

So having a db server process seems fast, but I don't know how "data safe" sqlite3 is. My programs have sometimes crashed things awkwardly, and once in the last 12 months a crash allowed the batteries to run down without an orderly shutdown.

I'm just not sure I'm ready for the complication of a DB, but I know it will happen eventually.

amcdonley

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:16 pm

blimpyway wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:39 am
You may consider a generic messaging queue (eg mosquitto) to communicate state changes across processes.
I have to admit I am intimidated by the whole IoT complexity. I've watched rosie the red robot as he ventured there, but I have kept my distance. After 40+ years of doing commercial software systems, I should not be hesitant about something as basic as a queue. Sometimes I just feel tired of learning, sometimes I get excited about learning - I've been working at learning OpenCV for the last few months, and get distracted by these philosophical investigations.
there are a few good reasons for this approach:
- transparently spawn processes/modules across machines
One of the principles of design for my robot has been self-sufficiency first. I want to be sure my bot is fully utilizing its computational and sensor resources, even if it means having a slower response. Speech recognition, text-to-speech, and object recognition are faster, better, and easier using Google, but there is something in *me* that wants my bot to keep it local. (Probably equally a curse as NIH syndrome).
- allows for debugging - by just subscribing to whatever message "keys" you can see state changes from a different machine than the robot's PI
Hadn't thought about that one. Sort of "big brother" like, but for positive purposes.
- allows for nice interfaces/GUIs/visualisations on a PC away from PI
- logging/history/database inserts can also happen on a different machine reducing Pi's frequent SD card updates (and risk of failure because of it)
- for such reasons, robot platforms like ROS are built upon a similar named message queue paradigm.
I admit I am a little jealous of the ROS visualization tools. I feel like I need my bot to have a library of basic capabilities before I add ROS.
From what I see in your variables 10-20 messages/second should be more than enough to update state with very little impact on PI's cpu cycles.
Thanks, that is very useful.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”