neeel

Phone hang-up sensor

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:35 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a toy phone into a working phone like an older landline. I've spent a good amount of time looking online now but can't find a component that could act like the hang-up sensor (I'm not really sure what to call it), the thing circled in this picture. Image

To describe it, I need some kind of a button that is likely springloaded that can be pressed down decently easily and still return to an on position when there's no pressure on it. Ideally something meant for RPi projects, so I can easily buy and use multiple since I would like to duplicate this project (as in I don't want to have to buy 10 older landlines and tear them apart just for this one button). If not, I could probably work with anything.

Thanks in advance!

pcmanbob

Re: Phone hang-up sensor

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:57 pm

I suggest you do a web search for micro switch , they come in several sizes and with several different types of operating arms.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

JohnsUPS

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:18 pm

I wasn't able to see the pic, but what could also be used is a reed relay within the phone, actuated by a magnet attached to the receiver.

Andyroo

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:42 am

Hope you are not planning on connecting it to the real phone network...

Bar from the risk of high voltage (50v in the UK for example) it’s illegal in every country that I’ve looked at!

I also cannot see the picture.

klricks

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:10 am

Andyroo wrote:
Right click on or near the word image then select view image. (Firefox on Win10)
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

DougieLawson

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:18 am

That phone already has a hang-up sensor. When you put the handset back in the cradle it disconnects the voice circuit from the line and re-connects the "bell" circuit.

What are you trying to achieve?

BTW https://i.imgur.com/VXAfqz3.png is a direct link to a very much oversized picture of a 1980's phone.

If you want to detect the line busy status you may do better with a USB modem connected to the same phone line. Modems have a built in hang-up sensor.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

hippy

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:31 pm

neeel wrote:
I've spent a good amount of time looking online now but can't find a component that could act like the hang-up sensor (I'm not really sure what to call it)
Traditionally called an on-hook/off-hook detector or switch. Presumably so named when phones had separate mouthpieces earpieces which were hung on an attached hook when not in use.

Can't see your image but the detector these days will often be a microswitch which is activated when the handset part is in its cradle on the main phone body.
Last edited by hippy on Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drgeoff

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:45 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:18 am
That phone already has a hang-up sensor. When you put the handset back in the cradle it disconnects the voice circuit from the line and re-connects the "bell" circuit.
As he all too often does, Dougie has not read the opening post properly. The OP has not written that the image is of his toy phone. The OP is seeking a switch to perform the function of the one in the image.

neeel

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:50 pm

hippy wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:31 pm
neeel wrote:
I've spent a good amount of time looking online now but can't find a component that could act like the hang-up sensor (I'm not really sure what to call it)
Traditionally called an on-hook/off-hook detector or switch. Presumably so named when phones had separate mouthpieces earpieces which were hung on an attached hook when not in use.

Can't see your image but the detector these days will often be a microswitch which is activated when the handset part is in its cradle on the main phone body.
This is exactly the info I was looking for, thank you so much!

neeel

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:52 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Hope you are not planning on connecting it to the real phone network...

Bar from the risk of high voltage (50v in the UK for example) it’s illegal in every country that I’ve looked at!

It uses a GSM module, its just meant to look like a landline :)

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”