kriznik

valve to control air flow?

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:03 am

hello,
iam seeking for a valve like solenoid but which can be controlled like steppers motors eg not only on/off as solenoids.
is there anything like that out there?

i was briefly looking around but found mostly solenoids applications which is not really suitable for what iam looking for.

thanks for any hints

Andyroo

Re: valve to control air flow?

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:12 pm

Welcome to the forum

I remember the TV show Mythbusters doing something similar but no idea how much their rig cost.

Could you adapt this to your needs https://blog.arduino.cc/2017/08/29/regu ... h-arduino/ - it ‘cheats’ by using pulses to control a hand held air gun :lol:

For a real solution you will need to describe your needs a bit more inc what pressure (and possibly gas) you are working with.

pcmanbob

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:24 pm

Motor controlled valves are used a lot in industry to control the flow of liquids, whether they will be suitable for air I don't know and they tend to be expensive when compared to solenoid valves

some examples

http://trends.directindustry.com/u-k-mu ... 33987.html

https://www.akmueller.de/en/products/pr ... alve-dn10/
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

kriznik

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:29 pm

hi and thank you ;)

ok so bit more details about what I'm looking for.
I do have an Air compressor with 130litres/min and not so high pressure, this compressor provides air around my outdoor lake.

That compressor is connected to two branches, one for one side, second for second side, connected by T so:

Code: Select all

Branch A
                                +----------------------------------------------+
                                |
                                |
                                |
                                |
                                |
                                |
                                |
+---------------+               |
|               |             +---+
|   Compressor  +---------------| | needed valve
                                |
                                |
                                |
                                |                                 Branch B
                                |
                                +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
"needed valve" is point where I need to put something to control flow to eiter both branches or indeed it can be placed on BRANCH A and control flow there.

Currently because branch B is longer, branch A is easier for air to go thru and so Branch B at the end lacking air, I basically need control flow to the branch A to allow more air to branch B.

If it is understandable :)
Indeed i can have manual valve which I can set once and leave it there for good, but ... since we are nerds and we like to control simple stuff complicated way ... am asking :P

omegaman477

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:24 pm

kriznik wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:29 pm
hi and thank you ;)

ok so bit more details about what I'm looking for.
I do have an Air compressor with 130litres/min and not so high pressure, this compressor provides air around my outdoor lake.

That compressor is connected to two branches, one for one side, second for second side, connected by T so:

Code: Select all

Branch A
                                +----------------------------------------------+
                                |
                                |
                                |
                                |
                                |
                                |
                                |
|   Compressor  +---------------| | needed valve
                                |
                                |
                                |
                                |                                 Branch B
                                |
                                +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
"needed valve" is point where I need to put something to control flow to eiter both branches or indeed it can be placed on BRANCH A and control flow there.

Currently because branch B is longer, branch A is easier for air to go thru and so Branch B at the end lacking air, I basically need control flow to the branch A to allow more air to branch B.

If it is understandable :)
Indeed i can have manual valve which I can set once and leave it there for good, but ... since we are nerds and we like to control simple stuff complicated way ... am asking :P
I think a large air reservoir tank is all thats needed. And maybe a throttling needle valve feeding each branch.
..the only thing worse than a stupid question is a question not asked.

PhatFil

Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:43 pm

i agree try balancing the pressures with flow restriction, a strategically placed needle valve or 2 should do it. a really smart system could detect air flow at each outlet and manage the needle valves with servo control perhaps?

PhatFil

Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:44 pm

error

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”