Paaf31

Turn on/off lights from button/sensor

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:41 pm

Hello everyone,
I actually own a shop in Ireland and in order to reduce the electricity costs, I would like to turn the lights on downstairs only if someone is going. Raspberry pi solution seems pretty good but I would like to be really sure of what I need to complete this project. As the begining of the stairs (where I would like to place the sensor) are a couple of meters away from the switch (actually there is 9 switches) I would say:
- Raspberry pi 0 w and power supply
- Case to protect it
- sensor to detect someone cross a line (which one exactly?)
- WiFi switch to control from the raspberry

- maybe a button to switch on/off the lights manually (can't risk the lights turning off automatically because someone is not moving downstairs).
- OR I can make an app to control the lights from the phone.
- OR the best solution would be without any waves (WiFi or Bluetooth) and wire everything but not sure it is possible and which raspberry I would need.

Also, actually, we (my partner or myself) share the connexion from the phone to access internet, so no router.

If someone has a simple answer, it would be great!

Thank you,

omegaman477

Re: Turn on/off lights from button/sensor

Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:23 am

I would be looking to use standard Home Automation (HA) light/power/sensor devices around you shop, Phillips Hue, Zigbee, Zwave, iHome, Netamo) They are cheap, easy to install etc.

What they all lack is complex condition/decision programming.

There are a couple of HA suites for the RPI (see google), some commercial (HomeSeer)

My approach was to use the standard HA devices as I explained, write some simple Python code, and use IFTT to glue all the integration together. This avoided local integration of the various Phillips Hue/Zigbee, Zwave etc protocols.
..the only thing worse than a stupid question is a question not asked.

Paaf31

Re: Turn on/off lights from button/sensor

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:37 pm

Thanks, I will look into that, I never really look into it because it seemed expensive, but maybe it will be the cheapest and easiest way at the end...

Thanks

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”