tjl

RS-232C Terminal to remotely control receiver volume. Can I do that?

Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:05 am

Hi, guys,

I'm wondering if there is a way to remotely control the volume on my stereo receiver using a raspberry pi connected to the receiver's RS-232C terminal. If anyone has any ideas or can direct me to someone or a site that can help, I would truly appreciate it. I really enjoy playing around with projects like this and am looking forward to hearing back from one of you gurus soon!

Thanks much for taking the time to read.

klricks

Re: RS-232C Terminal to remotely control receiver volume. Can I do that?

Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:35 am

A RPi with an appropriate 3V3 TTL to RS232 or a USB to RS232 adater can communicate with most RS232 devices.
You will need the command set specification or documentation to show what commands to send to/from the receiver.
Never seen a receiver with a serial port?
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

mikronauts

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:03 pm

You could also use an ir led and lirc.
tjl wrote:
Hi, guys,

I'm wondering if there is a way to remotely control the volume on my stereo receiver using a raspberry pi connected to the receiver's RS-232C terminal. If anyone has any ideas or can direct me to someone or a site that can help, I would truly appreciate it. I really enjoy playing around with projects like this and am looking forward to hearing back from one of you gurus soon!

Thanks much for taking the time to read.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

PiGraham

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:15 pm

tjl wrote:
Hi, guys,

I'm wondering if there is a way to remotely control the volume on my stereo receiver using a raspberry pi connected to the receiver's RS-232C terminal.
This is mostly a question about your receiever and it's capability to adkjust volume via serial commands. At the very least you would have to say what the reciever is and preferably direct people here to some doccumentation of the cmmands the reciever understands. You might need to the manufacturer's website or forums that cover such equipment.
Once you know what needs to be done the sceondary question of how to get a Pi to do that should be relatively easy.

PiGraham

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:18 pm

mikronauts wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:03 pm
You could also use an ir led and lirc.

That is a great suggestion if you have a remote controll you can scan to read volume commands because you don't need to find possibly obscure doccumentation.

tjl

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:38 am

Well, I talked to Denon (model 2805/985) and he did not know of what commands it would follow b/c it's an older unit and one of the first with an rs-232 on it. Didn't find any info on the web either.

I am familiar with lirc but have not used lirc. I'll have to do some homework on how to scan for commands. Being new at this particular stuff, I think you have given me enough to keep busy fro awhile.

klricks, thanks for that info. Seems like I need to get the commands.

I'm starting to feel like I'm getting in over my head, but I like these projects. Thanks for hanging in there with me and giving me ideas to play with.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”