Starscream205

Brian the robot

Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:21 pm

Hi everyone,

I’ve started a new project turning a promotional car insurance robot into an actual robot. I just wanted some feedback and any tips or constructive criticism that you have to offer. I’ve been writing a rough blog about it here:

http://raspberryrobotics.home.blog/2019 ... the-robot/

I’ve pretty much winged it so far but I’m having trouble with how I am going to fit the motor assembly underneath the robot, but apart from that let me know what you think :) but bear in mind that I’m an amateur and literally just blindly flailing through this project.

Andyroo

Re: Brian the robot

Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:40 pm

Like it - better than the set of videos converting it for voice :lol:

Could you cheat and put it on a plinth with a posh cover draped over the stand and put the drive in that?

Starscream205

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:08 pm

Agreed :D adding an automatic voice that plays the original sound chip seems like a massive waste of robot! I hadn’t thought of the plinth idea, I’ll have a look into it

omegaman477

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:52 pm

If your going to use RC Servos for the arms, which I agree with, to save motor interfacing, consider continuous servos for the propulsion. They are cheap and there is a huge array of wheels designed for their shafts. Most are reversible. They are just like a servo except the spin constantly at a speed you control through the standard servo interface. You can get some very powerful versions as well. The only drawback I find is they are noisey, as all servo gear trains are.

There are a number of Servo hats for the PI, providing from 8 to 16 servo channels. Check out Adafruit, I used a number of thiersin different projects. These hats make the servo timing a breeze, and your software simpler.
..the only thing worse than a stupid question is a question not asked.

scruss

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:14 pm

I was worried you were making Brian the Brain from Space 1999, but you have to be of a certain age (= old, like me) to remember hiding behind the sofa to that one.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

Andyroo

Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:28 pm

scruss wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:14 pm
I was worried you were making Brian the Brain from Space 1999, but you have to be of a certain age (= old, like me) to remember hiding behind the sofa to that one.
We could be getting a new generation of Space 1999 fans - its on rerun on the Forces Channel on Freeview at 10PM in the UK at the mo. Fact Alan is just taking off in three Eagles and Alpha may be under attack - got to go :oops:

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”