atulkatti

Right Sensor for Industrial vibration

Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:43 am

Hi All
I need to design IOT system for detecting vibration on pumps in an industrial environment and I'm not sure which sensor to use. I have an ADXL345 accelerometer but don't know if it's the best suited sensor for this application.

Please provide your suggestions on this

PhatFil

Re: Right Sensor for Industrial vibration

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:05 am

Perhaps take a step back and consider what aspect quality or result of the vibration is important?

if its vibration that moves/shakes the pump on its mounting too much perhaps a limit switch would be applicable.

if its a change in pitch due to perhaps a blockage or the result of running dry after exhausting the source perhaps a microphone would be useful?

perhaps if you hook up your ADXL345 to your pi and attach it to the pump and runs some tests. run the pump under conditions you expect to occur and see if the resulting data collected can reflect the pumps condition clearly.

atulkatti

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:17 am

Thanks. I want to do condition monitoring of the pump. Under normal circumstances there will be a normal vibration signature. But if there is an issue then the vibration signature will change. Cloud software will detect this change in vibration and alert personnel to take a look. This is the application in a nutshell.

atulkatti

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:14 am

Any more advice on this ?

natopal46

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:13 pm

Hey, the LSM9DS0 sensor will be much more useful for Vibration analysis as per what you are expected

This is the reference code which will surely meet your requirements

https://github.com/ControlEverythingCommunity/LSM9DS0

They also provide a dedicated wireless vibration sensor which is specially designed for analyzing the vibration.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”