atulkatti

Cables for connecting sensors to Pi

Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:43 pm

The regular 12 in jumper wires are too short for my industrial application. What other cables can be used to connect sensor to pi. Need atleast 2 meter long cable

pcmanbob

Re: Cables for connecting sensors to Pi

Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:53 pm

For cables that long you will probably have to make your own..
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

atulkatti

Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:05 pm

any guide on making these ?

pcmanbob

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:54 pm

atulkatti wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:05 pm
any guide on making these ?
It depends rs on how you intend to make them.

If you are just going to crimp new terminals on the ends of cables of the correct length to make your own Dupont cables then the supplier of the crimper and terminals will probably be able to supply instructions on using the crimper.

Not much else to it.

If you intend to use some there type of cable then you need to specify what you intend to use .
We want information… information… information........................no information no help

atulkatti

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:00 am

i took the F2F wires and cut them 4 inches from connector. Then soldered and hot glued to another long wire....Not an elegant solution, but works !!

scotty101

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:32 pm

atulkatti wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:43 pm
The regular 12 in jumper wires are too short for my industrial application. What other cables can be used to connect sensor to pi. Need atleast 2 meter long cable
If this is an industrial application, you go out to a third party supplier, tell them what you want and have them send you a quote for making that specific cable.
Cutting cables and splicing another one in is not a professional solution.

(Or at the very least you buy the correct crimping tool and crimps to make your own cable from a single length of wire)
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

mooblie

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:41 pm

I realise you said "2m" but depending on your sensors, your application, the frequency of change of the signal and the noise level in the intended environment, you may find that simply extending a cable that works at 20cm will not work so well at ten times the length.

You really need to investigate (or take professional advice) regarding the signal transfer issues in your professional application. You may need special signal sending, receiving, modulation and/or shielding on this "2m cable" - assuming you want it to work reliably.

If you're lucky - you may not! :)

pcmanbob

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:42 pm

atulkatti wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:00 am
i took the F2F wires and cut them 4 inches from connector. Then soldered and hot glued to another long wire....Not an elegant solution, but works !!
If your sensor works at 2m, I would at least replace the hot glue with heat shrink sleeving for a more professional look

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”