scotty101

Motor/Driver Recommendation for balancing robot

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Recently started looking at a project that I had set aside a few years ago to create a robot that can balance on two wheels but am having no success.

I'm using the "standard yellow gearboxed motor" and a ZeroBorg motor controller.
The ZeroBorg seems to have a few problems; If you set the motor speed to 0.5, that is not the same speed as -0.5. Also the motors won't start turning until you set the motor speed to be 0.4 backwards or 0.55(ish) forwards. Any PID control I put to keep the robot balanced results in an unstable system since the speed has to be set so high just to get the motors moving.

Does anyone have any suggestions for replacement (Pi Zero friendly) Motor drivers and motors that would work for a balancing robot?
Alternatively, any advice on how to get round the Zeroborg's problems?
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

PiGraham

Re: Motor/Driver Recommendation for balancing robot

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Direct drive probably helps. Geared motors can have problems with backlash.
Her's an example using steppers.

https://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobot ... sing-robot.
I've seen a few projects like this run a microcontroller to do the balancing.

OutoftheBOTS

Re: Motor/Driver Recommendation for balancing robot

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:01 am

The yellow motors are nice motors for basic driving around a simple robot were you don't need a lot of sudden torque.

You will likely need a motor with a bit more power for sudden acceleration for balancing.

99% of DC motors will turn faster in 1 direction than the other. It has to do with how they are wound to make them more efficient. U can buy special robot motors that r wound to be equal in both directions but most people compensate in their code for the uneven motors.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”