CNCworkingORnot

Industrial CNC status alert project - help!

Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:49 am

Hello. I will start by admitting I am completely new to the Raspberry world, but I am convinced this is the solution to a challenge I have at my business.

I own several CNC machines that can (and do) operate "lights out", without human supervision for periods of time (how long we allow them to run unattended depends on several factors including expected tool life, part tolerances, past history with the part, etc.).

The CNC machines have the capability to send a 24v signal to a signal tower (aka light pylon) to display via colored lights on the pylon whether the machine is running (light is green), or the machine is in alarm status (red light).

I would like to create a project that allows me to use those 24v signals together with a Raspberry Pi to create a device that will send me an email when a specific signal is received from a CNC machine.

For example, I would have liked to have received an email this weekend when CNC Machine # 3 went into alarm status at 9:00am on Saturday, I would have gladly jumped in the car to restart the machine, but instead had no idea the machine had stopped until a day later.

So, again let me admit my lack of knowledge specific to the Raspberry Pi, but I do have decent PC and programming background and we are more than capable of the wiring that will be necessary for a project like this.

Any suggestions, pointers, past experiences with similar projects, or other advice is GREATLY appreciated!

- a frustrated CNC owner

ranpitime

Re: Industrial CNC status alert project - help!

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi,
you could use CODESYS on Raspberry PI,
connect your 24 signals to an IO fieldbus connected( for example Ethercat to have it easy)
For example EK1100 / EL1008 Beckhoff Ethercat terminals.
Give either email or send pushover telegram to your mobile phone if a machine has a problem which need to be solved.

BR ranpitime
Attachments
email.png
email.png (134.25 KiB) Viewed 669 times

pcmanbob

Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:05 am

The CNC machines have the capability to send a 24v signal to a signal tower (aka light pylon) to display via colored lights on the pylon whether the machine is running (light is green), or the machine is in alarm status (red light).
Are these 24v signals actually signals or just 24v outputs that power the relevant light in the light tower ?

If they are just 24v DC outputs you could connect them to the gpio using opto isolators.

this would give you a high on the gpio input when the lamp was lit.

you would require one opto isolator for each lamp you wish to monitor.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

IanS

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:01 pm

If there is a point in the workshop that can see all lights, you could skip the wiring entirely. Just use a Pi with a camera module and look for parts of the image that turn from strongly green to strongly red. You might want to specify which part of the image should be checked and a minimum time it shows as red to avoid somebody walking around wearing a red top causing problems.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”